GPS Tracker?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

GPS Tracker?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Does anyone have any experience, in regards to an inexpensive GPS tracker, one could use on their vehicle?

Seems to be a lot of options out there, but most with monthly fees, or yearly contracts.

Trying to decide if this is an option or just install a kill switch.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
DataCruncher
Übergod

Re: GPS Tracker?

Post by DataCruncher »

Have a simple solution which I've done in the past.
Mounted a hidden toggle switch under the dash that breaks/opens the circuit of one wire going to the coil.
I think on a newer vehicle, you could use a toggle s/w to interrupt a similar connection by tapping into it's fuse.
It'll turn over, but no spark.
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Jan 24th, 2023, 7:55 pm Does anyone have any experience, in regards to an inexpensive GPS tracker, one could use on their vehicle?
I was thinking of that this morning.
Watching the news recently where people that have dropped a baggage tracker in their baggage they have watched their bags fly to Toronto and then Spain or wherever while waiting in Vancouver.

Wonder if those could be used?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

seewood wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 9:50 am
Urban Cowboy wrote: Jan 24th, 2023, 7:55 pm Does anyone have any experience, in regards to an inexpensive GPS tracker, one could use on their vehicle?
I was thinking of that this morning.
Watching the news recently where people that have dropped a baggage tracker in their baggage they have watched their bags fly to Toronto and then Spain or wherever while waiting in Vancouver.

Wonder if those could be used?
Yes I read that story too.

This is an area I know virtually nothing about thus my post.

I'm all for the security aspect but not if it means paying twenty or thirty bucks monthly.

A kill switch can make life difficult for a thief, but if they did somehow manage to steal the vehicle, you wouldn't have any idea of where it is.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 3:02 pm A kill switch can make life difficult for a thief, but if they did somehow manage to steal the vehicle, you wouldn't have any idea of where it is.
If it is a Lexus or Mercedes, likely in a container on its way to the middle east. Otherwise the police will find it about 6 blocks from the latest gang hit. :200:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have heard that some people are putting an Apple air tag in the car somewhere and wil always know where it is.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 5:05 pm I have heard that some people are putting an Apple air tag in the car somewhere and wil always know where it is.
I don't have any Apple products so I guess that's not an option, unless there's something like it for Android.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

here ya go, "the best air tag alternative for android

https://www.howtogeek.com/724198/the-be ... r-android/
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

kelownman wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 7:13 pm here ya go, "the best air tag alternative for android

https://www.howtogeek.com/724198/the-be ... r-android/
Thanks.

Reading the description I'm having difficulty understanding what good a range of only 200 feet is? Basically if I'm in the front yard and lose my item, I can use the app to locate it in the back yard, as any more than that it's out of range. :biggrin:

The story pertaining to the people with the lost tagged luggage indicated they knew where their bag was from quite a significant distance.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

I only looked up airtag alternatives for android but did not read the details.

Here is a GPS tracker for vehicles called Tracki that is cheap, $40 US plus a subscription of purportedly "as low as" $14 a month, again I didnt read the details, just did a quick read.

https://ca-tracki.glopalstore.com/pages ... r-vehicles
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Jan 26th, 2023, 1:20 pm
The story pertaining to the people with the lost tagged luggage indicated they knew where their bag was from quite a significant distance.
The way the Apple Airtag works is that it's signal is picked up by all iPhones close to it and then determine it's location from those.

I suspect at least some of the Android ones have to be close to the owners phone to locate it
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote: Jan 26th, 2023, 4:13 pm
Urban Cowboy wrote: Jan 26th, 2023, 1:20 pm
The way the Apple Airtag works is that it's signal is picked up by all iPhones close to it and then determine it's location from those.

I suspect at least some of the Android ones have to be close to the owners phone to locate it
Description stated 200 feet and figured that realistically it would be less than that.

Think I'm beginning to lean more toward a kill switch.

The GPS trackers I've read about all seem to want a certain monthly amount, or yearly contract, approaching the $200 mark and then the batteries don't seem to last all that long, so if you forget to stay on top of that, the unit is useless. If you get a unit that hard wires into the vehicle, you are looking at a significant amount and still a fee attached to it.

Since I'm not looking to protect a Ferrari such an investment seems a bit frivolous when a kill switch would likely prevent it from getting stolen anyway.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

[quote="Urban Cowboy" post_id=3146398 time=1674784593 user_id=277649

Since I'm not looking to protect a Ferrari such an investment seems a bit frivolous when a kill switch would likely prevent it from getting stolen anyway.
[/quote]

As well as what are the percentages that it could be stolen in the first place?

Our car is parked inside at night so chances are slim to none.
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

Last edited by DataCruncher on Jan 27th, 2023, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

Great deals!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”