Evicted due to Privacy Screen

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Evicted due to Privacy Screen

Post by Fancy »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 10:00 am What about using roll-up, bamboo blinds?
They are only down when required.
They are cheap to buy.
They are easy to install.
AND they are easily hidden, when not in use.
https://www.google.com/search?q=roll+up ... e&ie=UTF-8
If they are flammable they won't be allowed.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

Patron wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 9:43 am
voice of reason wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 9:30 am i would love to have a screen like that . the sun fries my plants every summer as i have a glass panel instead of railings . as soon as it hits 30+ it is just a giant magnifying glass . our building doesnt allow it though . nothing is alllowed on decks except patio furniture and plants . i used to think that was dumb but i look over at the building at the end of the block and people have their bikes and winter tires out there. some have stacks of rubbermaid containers etc . the rules are there for a reason . they might be inconvenient but its better than looking at everybodies junk. i think a privacy screen should be allowed but i dont make the rules .also buildings would love to get rid of people so they can get new tenants at a massively increased rent
just curious does your strata allow large cedars in pots ? my friend who lives in a condo wanted a privacy screen too, tried blinds, nope, this type of white plastic railing cover, nope, those plastic vine things that you can buy, nope, so they got 4 large cedars and put them in pots and their strata at first said no and they said well the rules allow plants and these are plants and that was it, they could keep the cedars
i got potted cedars. they were allowed. the heat dome cooked the entire back side off of them . its just too hot by the glass
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Fancy wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 10:46 am
alanjh595 wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 10:00 am What about using roll-up, bamboo blinds?
They are only down when required.
They are cheap to buy.
They are easy to install.
AND they are easily hidden, when not in use.
https://www.google.com/search?q=roll+up ... e&ie=UTF-8
If they are flammable they won't be allowed.
Have them sprayed with a fire retardant. Since they have already stated in the article, they used a BBQ cover in the past.....
If a bbq is allowed, then so should be a blind.
I think that in this case, the "manager" has got a personal bug up his butt. I would like to see written and signed objections by other tenants.
Bring back the LIKE button.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

They knew that they were not allowed to have flammable materials on the balcony.
They erected a fabric privacy screen - and were told to take it down.
So they put large cardboard boxes on the balcony - and were told to remove them.
They then erected a lattice - and were told to remove it.
They then used a bbQ cover and patio chairs - and were told to remove them
They claim it was because of an eye issue and the lights from the cars caused problems,
the building owner then offered them a different unit where they would not have the lights issue.
They refused.
They could have used curtains inside the unit.
They didn't.
Finally they were served an eviction notice - and now it is somehow the building managers fault?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I find it odd that with all the visual issues that sunglasses had to be worn inside the unit that curtains weren't an option.
marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by marvin gardens »

Was the prohibition of ANY screen contained in the rental agreement?
Was a cover for a barbecue prohibited in the rental agreement?
Can a tenant place anything on a balcony If so what?
Some managers of rental properties take their job to seriously.
The headline is misleading.
The tenants have been given "notice of eviction"
Tenants can and should file an appeal of the eviction.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Why is this even news?
The tenants knew and understood the terms when they signed the rental agreement.
The tenants breached the terms on numerous occasions and were given multiple warnings regarding those offences.
The building management company even generously offered a different suite to help resolve the tenants issues but that offer declined by the tenants because we "don't want to" move to another unit with less dust and glare which is their complaint about the unit they presently occupy.
Rather than make any effort to help themselves the tenants whine to the press and waste the RTB's time with a frivolous complaint they themselves caused and won't do anything themselves to correct.
The tenant wants the rules they agreed to be changed just for them.

Hopefully either the tenants learn they must comply with the reasonable rules they and everyone else in the building agreed to or the eviction goes through ASAP and the tenants learn they aren't so special that rules don't apply to them.

Shame on the tenants for wasting the RTB's time and shame on Castanet for even reporting what isn't even a newsworthy event.
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

lensbaby wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 11:16 am They knew that they were not allowed to have flammable materials on the balcony.
They erected a fabric privacy screen - and were told to take it down.
So they put large cardboard boxes on the balcony - and were told to remove them.
They then erected a lattice - and were told to remove it.
They then used a bbQ cover and patio chairs - and were told to remove them
They claim it was because of an eye issue and the lights from the cars caused problems,
the building owner then offered them a different unit where they would not have the lights issue.
They refused.
They could have used curtains inside the unit.
They didn't.
Finally they were served an eviction notice - and now it is somehow the building managers fault?
and I still bet they won't be evicted, if they are paying their rent on time and not damaging the unit then all they are doing are fiddling with the rules about the balcony and it is also not unreasonable to think that this Manager wants them out so they can rent it for more $$, happens all the time. As for using curtains in the unit maybe they have inside plants that need sun or they just don't want to live in a dark place all the time. What they can do ( but who knows ? maybe it's not allowed) is they can get that clear film and put in on the patio doors as it's only applied with water and comes off easily with no damage
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

One can clearly see the inside of the unit and I really don't see how the privacy screen blocks out much.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Denying accommodations for medical issues is against the Human Rights of Canada.

Thy have a legitimate complaint.
Bring back the LIKE button.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Patron wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 11:38 am
and I still bet they won't be evicted, if they are paying their rent on time and not damaging the unit then all they are doing are fiddling with the rules about the balcony and it is also not unreasonable to think that this Manager wants them out so they can rent it for more $$, happens all the time. As for using curtains in the unit maybe they have inside plants that need sun or they just don't want to live in a dark place all the time. What they can do ( but who knows ? maybe it's not allowed) is they can get that clear film and put in on the patio doors as it's only applied with water and comes off easily with no damage
Replace "fiddling" with "breaking and showing complete disregard for. . ."
Replace "not unreasonable" with "unreasonable"
Delete all after "what they can do" and replace with "Follow the damn rules that they agreed to".
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

wrote: and I still bet they won't be evicted, if they are paying their rent on time and not damaging the unit then all they are doing are fiddling with the rules about the balcony and it is also not unreasonable to think that this Manager wants them out so they can rent it for more $$, happens all the time.
They may not get evicted but if they are permitted by the RTB to stay they will be abiding by the rules, ALL the rules just like everyone else in the building is. These people are not in any way "special" to deserve "special" rules and "special" treatment. If they choose not to abide by the rules they will find themselves on the streets and deservedly so.
The $$ more for a new tenant doesn't wash seeing they were offered another unit. If the manager wanted more $$ they could get that from the vacant unit rather than offering this tenant that unit at the same price.
What can they do? Abide by the rules they agreed to or move to a place where the rules better suit them.
This is not what the RTB was intended for. Tenants must follow the reasonable rules they agree to or they get to go live elsewhere that has reasonable rules they will abide by.
Hopefully the RTB does what they are supposed to do and upholds the very legal eviction just as they should do in denying a wrongful one.
Last edited by cv23 on Jan 25th, 2023, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

so they are blinded by the glare, yet refused to move to the shady side because they " like this side"
what they now like the glare? Sounds like there is little reasoning with them
As if cardboard boxes aren't flammable
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

normaM wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 12:13 pm so they are blinded by the glare, yet refused to move to the shady side because they " like this side"
what they now like the glare? Sounds like there is little reasoning with them
As if cardboard boxes aren't flammable
Exactly. I'm curious what they like about that unit if it's so very very busy and loud and hard to sit out there with the noise and glare from the traffic?
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

cv23 wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 12:12 pm
wrote: and I still bet they won't be evicted, if they are paying their rent on time and not damaging the unit then all they are doing are fiddling with the rules about the balcony and it is also not unreasonable to think that this Manager wants them out so they can rent it for more $$, happens all the time.
They may not get evicted but if they are permitted by the RTB to stay they will be abiding by the rules, ALL the rules just like everyone else in the building is. These people are not in any way "special" to deserve "special" rules and "special" treatment. If they choose not to abide by the rules they will find themselves on the streets and deservedly so.
The $$ more for a new tenant doesn't wash seeing they were offered another unit. If the manager wanted more $$ they could get that from the vacant unit rather than offering this tenant that unit at the same price.
What can they do? Abide by the rules they agreed to or move to a place where the rules better suit them.
This is not what the RTB was intended for. Tenants must follow the reasonable rules they agree to or they get to go live elsewhere that has reasonable rules they will abide by.
Hopefully the RTB does what they are supposed to do and upholds the very legal eviction just as they should do in denying a wrongful one.
I really believe that the arbitrator won't rule in favour of eviction, not based on this, but I do believe that they will be told to follow the rules in their tenancy agreement or next time the eviction will be followed thru, this is their one shot because this dispute is on file and they can't use it again, best that they comply and don't push it any further . As for being offered another unit, we don't know if the rent is the same and like I said I can see moving even though it's not far costs $$ and you bet, if they do move out to the other unit their old one will definitely go up in price when it's advertised, this is Kelowna and nobody keeps the same rental price when they get rid of somebody. Also mortgage rates increased again today and there's a new law about stratas keeping their contingency funds healthy for insurance purposes, so yes I can logically see that every new person that moves into a rental condo paying a much higher price

Return to “Central Okanagan”