Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by Fancy »

MAPearce wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 3:44 pm
Fancy wrote: Jan 24th, 2023, 6:03 pm

It’s not done that though in a favourable way.
According to you , perhaps ...
This isn't about me - this is about the complaints that were made.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Fancy wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 3:45 pm
MAPearce wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 3:44 pm According to you , perhaps ...
This isn't about me - this is about the complaints that were made.
I quoted your post . You say unfavourable ...

Many don't .. Many attend ..

I'm about to for my own reasons .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

When businesses are complaining that would be unfavourable.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Fancy wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 3:49 pm When businesses are complaining that would be unfavourable.
Yeah .. I duuno about that '

Aside for a few bad apples , which you'll find in EVERY "barrel" , I'm sure businesses are doing better for that Saturday now that the draconian mandates have been dropped
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Canada doesn't have free speech, that is a US thing
Canada has freedom of expression
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Relentless wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 11:25 am
Fancy wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 10:39 am There must be other names that have come to the forefront.
I feel the need to remind people that the corporation of the City of Kelowna does not own the Parkland in the City.
The City has extorted money from taxpayers to build and maintain Parks to be used and enjoyed by all.

Everyone, or every group wanting to use any Park space can do so freely and without harassment.
The City of Kelowna is Politically targeting the "Freedom Protest Group" and only them.

While BLM, the Gay Pride community, Iranian Protesters, and many others hold events or protests in City Parks, the City actually encourages specific groups and at the same time oppose other groups, this is clearly discrimination!

Instead of focusing on David Lindsay, how about a public debate about all groups using the Park spaces?
Why Politically target one specific group, meanwhile turning a blind eye to others?

I don't personally agree with most user groups in the Parks, but must understand everyone has a right to freedom of choice, expression, and concepts, as long as they are not causing harm to anyone. If I don't like the message of the Gay Pride march and annual event, I stay away, I don't write to the City to complain, because all men and women have a right to free use of these spaces, without discrimination.

I would love a Public debate with the City Council in regards to these issues and come to a conclusion of exactly why the City of Kelowna wants to control only one group using the Park for 2-1/2 hrs once a week. But, City council has quashed public debate in an attempt to remove democracy, and this is the real problem, not the protests.

If I want to gather with my Car Club buddies in a City Park, have a picnic, some music, discussion, share pictures and stories, I have the right to do that, after all my taxes went to build and maintain all City Parks for us to all enjoy. If we setup tables to put our lunch on and spent a few hours in a Park, the City would not bother us, but if you have a Political concern that needs attention, the City will shut you down.

The City created this protest from their failure to respond to democratic concerns, and if they would have been accountable to the people and allowed public debate, we would not be in this situation, so start considering what started this all.

Nearly three years ago, all forms of Government failed to demonstrably justify anything they were doing in an attempt to force unlawful mandates upon the entire Canadian population, which has lead to massive economic impact, massive job loss, divide, disputes, failing health care, and protests.

All the Global protests are all about the same thing, failure of Government to account for their actions.
Stop the witch hunt of public citizens and start pointing at those responsible for the absolute destruction of our Nation.

On another note: David Lindsay asked the Mayor and Council for a public debate, they refused!
So the democracy has failed, and the protests will continue.
Good points.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

rustled wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 5:33 pm Good points.
Subjective. City Hall might not want to engage with someone going through the court system.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Fancy wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 5:42 pm
rustled wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 5:33 pm Good points.
Subjective. City Hall might not want to engage with someone going through the court system.
Perhaps. That's only one point, though, of many.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

spooker wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 3:03 pm other groups are not regularly infringing on the public's usage of public areas ... if other protests rise to the same level of Lindsay and his adherents then the CoK would take the same measures ...

And again, why protest based on a conspiracy theory? It's pretty obvious the majority do not agree with the points being made by this protest ... as we've seen the numbers of these protestors dwindle it's obvious that it hasn't hit a tipping point of belief where the rest of the population could bite into it, maybe that should be a hint to Lindsay and others?

They've had plenty of chances to make their point, now they're being asked to go home ... trying to use this injunction as a "see! they're infringing on our rights like we said was happening all along" is the epitome of a self-fulfilling prophecy ...
Bylaws and laws apply to all, unless it's a Political attack, which this 100% is. I will argue that if the Iranians protest in a public park with amplified sound, posting hundreds of signs, graffiti on the stage area(with chalk) they are also in breach of the Parks Bylaw regardless if they have done it once or for 4 months, as it may disturb the peace and enjoyment of others who want to use the park.

Also, it is up to you to decide to support a protest, as protesters have a constitutional right to do so, whether you understand the logic or reasoning or not, name calling is simply another form of hate, and since when has the media told the truth which so many believe?

Also, protests continue until enough awareness has been made, and the targeted audience hears them out. The biggest problem is the City of Kelowna has closed the door on Public debate, so protests will continue as elected officials are no longer accountable to the people.

"Died suddenly" and "why can't the nurses go back to work" are 2 topics that need immediate debate, along with "why does a person need to be injected with an experimental injection which has caused 20 million deaths globally to visit loved ones in Hospital?"

Without debate we have no democracy or science, without democracy we have a dictatorship!
Without truth we will surely fail.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Relentless wrote: Jan 28th, 2023, 6:11 am Bylaws and laws apply to all, unless it's a Political attack, which this 100% is. I will argue that if the Iranians protest in a public park with amplified sound, posting hundreds of signs, graffiti on the stage area(with chalk) they are also in breach of the Parks Bylaw regardless if they have done it once or for 4 months, as it may disturb the peace and enjoyment of others who want to use the park.

Also, it is up to you to decide to support a protest, as protesters have a constitutional right to do so, whether you understand the logic or reasoning or not, name calling is simply another form of hate, and since when has the media told the truth which so many believe?

Also, protests continue until enough awareness has been made, and the targeted audience hears them out. The biggest problem is the City of Kelowna has closed the door on Public debate, so protests will continue as elected officials are no longer accountable to the people.

"Died suddenly" and "why can't the nurses go back to work" are 2 topics that need immediate debate, along with "why does a person need to be injected with an experimental injection which has caused 20 million deaths globally to visit loved ones in Hospital?"

Without debate we have no democracy or science, without democracy we have a dictatorship!
Without truth we will surely fail.
Debate is very good, but the two threads mentioned above seem to be based solely on opinions instead of a good research and logical points ...

If a protest can't continue gaining awareness isn't there a point when the organizer has to realize that it's not realistic to continue? That's where I feel the Freedom protests are ...

And then you have to look at how the public views the protest, the Freedom protestors are trying to push what most call a conspiracy theory, the Iranian protestors are pointing to the actual executions occurring there ... people are going to be more tolerant of the latter ...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the rail trail homeless junkies are 100000000000 more a problem than this small group of protesters
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Canadians lost their Freedom of Speech when the Main Stream Media totally covered up & refused to report anything honestly about the Truckers Freedom Convoy regarding vaccine mandates.
Big Pharma rushed the Covid-19 shots into production & both Governments agreed with that & don't want any groups questioning or saying they don't work ?
The ongoing protests in the Park are a thorn to those in charge & rather than answer they want to shut them down.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

one wheel wrote: Jan 28th, 2023, 1:38 pm Canadians lost their Freedom of Speech when the Main Stream Media totally covered up & refused to report anything honestly about the Truckers Freedom Convoy regarding vaccine mandates.
Big Pharma rushed the Covid-19 shots into production & both Governments agreed with that & don't want any groups questioning or saying they don't work ?
The ongoing protests in the Park are a thorn to those in charge & rather than answer they want to shut them down.
x2 :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

normaM wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 4:29 pm Canada doesn't have free speech, that is a US thing
I don't think a lot of people have ever understood that.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Fancy wrote: Jan 28th, 2023, 2:31 pm
normaM wrote: Jan 25th, 2023, 4:29 pm Canada doesn't have free speech, that is a US thing
I don't think a lot of people have ever understood that.
I'm still wondering what you cannot say. Watching the warm welcome Trudeau gets, I don't see anyone being beaten to the street and tossed in jail.

Am I missing something with freedom of speech??? Just because you get your comment cut out here as your off topic, I feel it's pretty FREE.

Return to “Central Okanagan”