And the award for the Dumbest 911 Call Taker Ever goes to..

my5cents
Guru

And the award for the Dumbest 911 Call Taker Ever goes to..

Post by my5cents »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#408581

They've just released the video and audio of the attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of the (at the time) Speaker of the House of Representatives in Washington DC.

Pelosi manages to call 911 in San Francisco, which is where the Pelosi's live. An assailant had just smashed his way into his home and he has fled to a bathroom. It's 2:30 AM. I guess as he connects to 911, the assailant gains entry to the bathroom and is holding a hammer (earlier used to smash the glass in a door to gain access to the house).

Sometimes callers to the police can't just plainly state "there's a mad man who has just smashed his way into my home and he has a weapon and I think he's going to attack me, HELP !"

Pelosi is vague but, it seems pretty clear to me what he's saying is NOT adding up and he needs help and possibly can't just come out and say it.

Wouldn't something like:
911 Operator: Can this other person hear me ?
(if no),911 Operator: OK, just answer Yes or No.
911 Operator: Do you need the police ?
911 Operator: Are you in danger ?

Pelosi has already identified himself, said he's the husband of Nancy Pelosi, he says "there's a person there who wants to wait for Nancy but she won't be here for a day so I guess he'll just wait" ... later saying...."are the Capital Police around ?

911 Operator: "No this is the San Francisco Police"

Pelosi: "They are usually here at the house protecting my wife."

911 Operator: "No this is San Francisco Police"

Pelosi: "I, I, no, I understand, ah OK, well.."

Pelosi to the Assailant: " What do you think ?"

Assailant: Undiscernible

Pelosi: "He thinks everything is good. I've got a problem, but he thinks everything is good..."

911 Operator: "Oh,,oh,,, OK, call us back if you change your mind..."

Pelosi: "No, no, this gentleman just came in the house, and he wants to wait for my wife to come home and so ah.... and he's told me to put the phone down."

911 Operator: "Do you know who this person is ?"

Pelosi: "I don't know who he is,,, he told me, he told me not to do anything."

The operator seems to reluctantly begin to feel she must send the police to figure out what is going on and asks Pelosi his address and his name. (San Francisco, a huge city in the "Greatest Country in the World", doesn't have call/address display for 911 ???) The police arrive just in time to see Pelosi struggling with the assailant for the hammer and the assailant club Pelosi in the head with the hammer.
Last edited by my5cents on Jan 27th, 2023, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: And the award for the Dumbest 911 Call Taker Ever goes to..

Post by Spiff »

my5cents wrote: Jan 27th, 2023, 12:49 pm They've just released the video and audio of the attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of the (at the time) Speaker of the House of Representatives in Washington DC.

Pelosi manages to call 911 in San Francisco, which is where the Pelosi's live. An assailant had just smashed his way into his home and he has fled to a bathroom. It's 2:30 AM. I guess as he connects to 911, the assailant gains entry to the bathroom and is holding a hammer (earlier used to smash the glass in a door to gain access to the house).

Sometimes callers to the police can't just plainly state "there's a mad man who has just smashed his way into my home and he has a weapon and I think he's going to attack me, HELP !"

Pelosi is vague but, it seems pretty clear to me what he's saying is NOT adding up and he needs help and possibly can't just come out and say it.

Wouldn't something like:
911 Operator: Can this other person hear me ?
(if no),911 Operator: OK, just answer Yes or No.
911 Operator: Do you need the police ?
911 Operator: Are you in danger ?

Pelosi has already identified himself, said he's the husband of Nancy Pelosi, he says "there's a person there who wants to wait for Nancy but she won't be here for a day so I guess he'll just wait" ... later saying...."are the Capital Police around ?

911 Operator: "No this is the San Francisco Police"

Pelosi: "They are usually here at the house protecting my wife."

911 Operator: "No this is San Francisco Police"

Pelosi: "I, I, no, I understand, ah OK, well.."

Pelosi to the Assailant: " What do you think ?"

Assailant: Undiscernible

Pelosi: "He thinks everything is good. I've got a problem, but he thinks everything is good..."

911 Operator: "Oh,,oh,,, OK, call us back if you change your mind..."

Pelosi: "No, no, this gentleman just came in the house, and he wants to wait for my wife to come home and so ah.... and he's told me to put the phone down."

911 Operator: "Do you know who this person is ?"

Pelosi: "I don't know who he is,,, he told me, he told me not to do anything."

The operator seems to reluctantly begin to feel she must send the police to figure out what is going on and asks Pelosi his address and his name. (San Francisco, a huge city in the "Greatest Country in the World", doesn't have call/address display for 911 ???) The police arrive just in time to see Pelosi struggling with the assailant for the hammer and the assailant club Pelosi in the head with the hammer.
Link please.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Link added to original post
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

She did seem quite confused, but I wonder if that was her helping Paul Pelosi keep the intruder calm until the police could get there.

On the other hand, that theory isn't supported by the officers' behaviour when they arrive at the house.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I wondered about. But the at 3/4'ers through the call the 911 Operator says "Oh,,oh,,, OK, call us back if you change your mind..."
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

Excellent combo, thanks. :up:

One of my DILs is a 911 trainer and floor supervisor. So I think she'll be inerested in examining this.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

my5cents wrote: Jan 27th, 2023, 1:48 pm I wondered about. But the at 3/4'ers through the call the 911 Operator says "Oh,,oh,,, OK, call us back if you change your mind..."
And while the attending officers were outside, they seemed pretty casual.

Paul Pelosi seemed to be relying on her to recognize his wife's name, and she seemed unaware of the connection. Ditto for the officers - they didn't seem to know who lived at that address.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

Wow; that was brutal.
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

rustled wrote: Jan 27th, 2023, 1:57 pm
my5cents wrote: Jan 27th, 2023, 1:48 pm I wondered about. But the at 3/4'ers through the call the 911 Operator says "Oh,,oh,,, OK, call us back if you change your mind..."
And while the attending officers were outside, they seemed pretty casual.

Paul Pelosi seemed to be relying on her to recognize his wife's name, and she seemed unaware of the connection. Ditto for the officers - they didn't seem to know who lived at that address.
Yes, I agree. Every call is assigned a priority. It appears this was a low priority suspicious circumstances, "drop by and check" type call. The call taker dictates the priority, and that dictates the response speed, the number of units sent. A hot call, gets the attention of police units that might be in the area already conducting some other type of investigation to divert.

I think it was more out of luck than prowess on the part of the 911 operator that responding police arrived at the address as soon as they did.

It did seem Paul was trying to give hints "my wife Nancy Pelosi", "the Capital Police protect her" "he wants to wait for her, she won't be home for a day", "I don't know him". 2 + 2 = 4

The 911 Operator didn't ask herself, "there must be a reason why this, apparently intelligent, sober person has called the police, at 2:30 AM, what is it ?"

I'm not all that sure the 911 operator knew who Nancy Pelosi was.

Police, when attending, for example, a 911 hang up. isolate the occupants of the residence and ask them out of ear shot of the others, "what's going on ? are you OK ?"

Return to “World”