Chang: China Is Preparing To Go To War

Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Chang: China Is Preparing To Go To War

Post by Drip_Torch »

GordonH wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 6:39 pm Unmanned balloon is subject to whatever route the jet stream is taking, which is pretty unpredictable.
It's actually far more predictable these days than you might realize. I called it yesterday with the words "right between Wilmington and Charleston". Precisely right between those two places is Myrtle Beach, where they shot it down today. I don't see anything to suggest what others have been saying about it maneuvering around in any Norad airspace. It seemed to follow the modeled 250 mb Jetstream without much variance, if any. I can look at those models 5 days out with relative certainty at that pressure and elevation.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

GordonH wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 6:39 pm Unmanned balloon is subject to whatever route the jet stream is taking, which is pretty unpredictable.
I saw solar panels. Which means it was possible to maneuver with a motor of some kind.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 8:30 pm
I saw solar panels. Which means it was possible to maneuver with a motor of some kind.
Not necessarily, assuming they were in fact solar panels, it could be there to power any technology on board.

In fact, high altitude surveillance balloons might not even have great control abilities, according to this article.
https://www.reuters.com/world/high-alti ... Institute.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 8:30 pm
I have my doubts. The Jetstream it was travelling in this morning was approaching 175 km/h, during part of its journey the other day, it was just above a stream doing 230 km/h. This time of year, with a little math and a good model you could map its journey over the next 6 days. Mid summer, if we keep having summers like we've had for the last 5, it would be virtually impossible to get a balloon from China to here.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

All sorts of claims to the height of the balloon, from 60,000 feet to 80,000 feet. All above the jetstream, up in the stratosphere and follows meridional overturning patterns… unless it is self propelled which isn’t visually evident.

I suppose lasers aren’t ready for prime time.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Jlabute wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 9:12 pm All sorts of claims to the height of the balloon, from 60,000 feet to 80,000 feet. All above the jetstream, up in the stratosphere and follows meridional overturning patterns… unless it is self propelled which isn’t visually evident.

Yep, apparently. [icon_lol2.gif]

I suck at maths, so I'm not even going to attempt this one, but very generally speaking "the Jetstream" that most of us know a little about exists between 400 mb and 100 mb. 250 mb being the one most modelled because that's where jets find a happy spot. At about 70 mb (usually somewhere around 60,000 ft) things do slow and somewhere between there and 10 mb it actually starts to get into those overturning patterns. (Sometimes appearing to go in the opposite direction of the "the Jetstream" below it.) The number I heard tossed about the most for the balloon's elevation was 60,000, with the exception of late yesterday afternoon when there was a NOTAM issued, pegging it at 43,000.

I thought it seemed to be following the 250 mb models to a T.

FWIW, based on my observations (assuming the Combat Sent I was watching last night was orbiting the balloon,) I have an average of 117 km/h to get to its splashdown point today, in its final 11 hours of being a spectacle.

(Scratch pad math, bunch of assumptions and give or take 150 km on the map, either way)

:130:
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Drip_Torch wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 9:35 pm
Jlabute wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 9:12 pm All sorts of claims to the height of the balloon, from 60,000 feet to 80,000 feet. All above the jetstream, up in the stratosphere and follows meridional overturning patterns… unless it is self propelled which isn’t visually evident.

Yep, apparently. [icon_lol2.gif]

I suck at maths, so I'm not even going to attempt this one, but very generally speaking "the Jetstream" that most of us know a little about exists between 400 mb and 100 mb. 250 mb being the one most modelled because that's where jets find a happy spot. At about 70 mb (usually somewhere around 60,000 ft) things do slow and somewhere between there and 10 mb it actually starts to get into those overturning patterns. (Sometimes appearing to go in the opposite direction of the "the Jetstream" below it.) The number I heard tossed about the most for the balloon's elevation was 60,000, with the exception of late yesterday afternoon when there was a NOTAM issued, pegging it at 43,000.

I thought it seemed to be following the 250 mb models to a T.
Beats me. You’d also think a laser could give us an accurate altitude too. lol. I don’t think anyone knows the altitude… I did see 18.3km mentioned, and the same article mentioned such balloons normally operate between 24km and 37km. Some sites say it averaged a speed of 25 knots.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

My gut feeling is all the uncertainty could have been avoided. I'm sure "they" know exactly what it was and where it was in terms of altitude.

A complete aside, but in terms how "uncertain" our atmosphere can be, and to give the casual observer an idea of how it is talked about it in very general terms, yesterday the tropopause folded over Mt Washington, New Hampshire. At a mere 5000 ft it was in the stratosphere for a brief period of time.

It looked like this... https://twitter.com/i/status/1621598650022363142 (In case anyone is wondering how to dress for a nuclear winter...)

:130:
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Lots of unanswered questions. I'm no expert but if I was going to fly a surveillance balloon over an area I'd color it to blend in with the color of the sky, not make it white.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

So the American didn't take the balloon down when it was over Alaska. Fine. Where were our politicians when it was flying over Canada? Didn't tell us and didn't do or say anything about it until the beans were spilled south of the boarder. So, it's clear to me that our foreign policy is dictated by the Americans and that we are known as America north.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

TimmyE wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 9:11 am Where were our politicians when it was flying over Canada?
Well considering Canada has nothing that China would even care about then why worry about a balloon? :D
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Bsuds wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 9:19 am
TimmyE wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 9:11 am Where were our politicians when it was flying over Canada?
Well considering Canada has nothing that China would even care about then why worry about a balloon? :D
Canada's F18's could not get that high anyway. Needs more spare parts from Australia ..
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

motokelowna1 wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 9:27 am Canada's F18's could not get that high anyway.
Maybe not but the Pilots can...
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
65deluxe
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 65deluxe »

Huh, those damn weather balloons sure get around...

Chinese spy balloon crashed off the coast of Hawaii 4 months ago, U.S. officials say...
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/chines ... months-ago

US intel assesses Chinese spy balloons transited US several times, went 'undetected': Senior admin official...
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-int ... n-official
"The most powerful governments in the world can't solve homelessness.
But they can change the earths temperature if you pay more taxes."
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Not to mention the balloon over South America right now.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... erica.html

Return to “World”