Coun. Isaac Gilbert

bobbyrog
Fledgling

Re: Coun. Isaac Gilbert

Post by bobbyrog »

The burden of proof falls on the accuser. If you have criticism against Gilbert, that's great! But making assumptions and accusations without evidence and asserting it as truth is libel, which is against the rules of the board.
"Contrived quote from a random historical figure which vaguely reinforces my ignorant beliefs to make me feel smart"
-Abraham Lincoln
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I've cleaned this thread up. Get back on topic and stay there.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
A Concerned Citizen
Lord of the Board

Post by A Concerned Citizen »

rustled wrote: Feb 1st, 2023, 7:36 am
fluffy wrote: Feb 1st, 2023, 7:31 am

I agree with that in principle, but what is going on here is not “discussion”. Mr. Gilbert is being attacked through misinformation and innuendo, and anyone who supports this sort of unethical behaviour is equally unworthy of attention.
The accusations against his critics involve plenty of assumptions and innuendo, as does the accusation attempting to make it personal here.

The effort to silence Coun. Isaac Gilbert's critics suggests there's no option of countering the criticism of Coun. Isaac Gilbert's actions and motivation for those actions with facts, hence the "shoot the messenger" -style "bullying" tactic to silence the critics.

This isn't useful in any social democracy. Coun. Isaac Gilbert should not be protected from criticism - it's the public's job to be critical of our politicians. If the criticism isn't legitimate, show us this with facts about Coun. Isaac Gilbert's suggestions and his motivation.
Your last comment is most germane to the issue as innuendos claiming libel and otherwise are tantamount to tactics equivalent to SLAPP suits intended to exhaust, defeat, and intimidate people into staying quiet. It's similar to the "lawfare" practices being engaged in order to silence and deter an indvidual's use of their legal rights. If one recalls there was a similar effort undertaken back around 2010 where Penticton's CAO was being challenged and one individual in town was publicly accused using similar underhanded tactics ... that didn't turn out too well in the end and shortly after the CAO actually ended up resigning and in Fort McMurray ...

Any effort undermining the right to freedom of expression or any demand for censorship emanating from a politicians would be at best an unwise move ...
energygal

Post by energygal »

https://www.saobserver.net/news/those-w ... -election/

Makes me wonder how much Jakubeit spent on his run. Gilbert only secured twenty more votes than him. $10,977.72 for 3309 votes. And on his second attempt so his name is already out there? Not a great return on investment and should likely make us concerned about the financial decisions he will be able to contribute to as a councillor.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

energygal wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 12:16 pm https://www.saobserver.net/news/those-w ... -election/

Makes me wonder how much Jakubeit spent on his run. Gilbert only secured twenty more votes than him. $10,977.72 for 3309 votes. And on his second attempt so his name is already out there? Not a great return on investment and should likely make us concerned about the financial decisions he will be able to contribute to as a councillor.
Yes it certainly seems that Gilbert spent the most dollars per vote to secure his last place finish.
And it is crap like this that really irks me. Money buys the position.....mostly. Didn't work for Vaz this time for sure but he needed to go anyway. I supported his run initially but he came to be a bit confused. Like in a Joe Biden sort of way.
Gilbert however, spending the most money to secure last place speaks volumes.
I take solace in the fact that he spent so much money to get last place cuz all that tells me is that come next election cycle the amount of money he spends is not even going to get this SJW even last place.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
bobbyrog
Fledgling

Post by bobbyrog »

:topic:

We are talking about Isaac Gilbert here, not silly conspiracy theories regarding censorship or current President of the United States Joe Biden.
"Contrived quote from a random historical figure which vaguely reinforces my ignorant beliefs to make me feel smart"
-Abraham Lincoln
energygal

Post by energygal »

twobits wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 6:40 pm
energygal wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 12:16 pm https://www.saobserver.net/news/those-w ... -election/

I take solace in the fact that he spent so much money to get last place cuz all that tells me is that come next election cycle the amount of money he spends is not even going to get this SJW even last place.
That is my hope as well!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

To be accurate, Mr. Gilbert placed sixth in a field of sixteen hopefuls. Hardly “last place”. But then again, accuracy and truth are not always the priorities for some.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
A Concerned Citizen
Lord of the Board

fluffy wrote: Feb 6th, 2023, 5:47 am To be accurate, Mr. Gilbert placed sixth in a field of sixteen hopefuls. Hardly “last place”. But then again, accuracy and truth are not always the priorities for some.
To be entirely fair gilbert did place sixth out of the sixteen hopefuls by only 20 votes and it is also entirely fair, truthful and accurate to say that he also placed first in the most of other people's money spent by councillors for votes over the last three elections and perhaps some of the most controversial issues ranging from opposing motions to get to the bottom of crime, worrying about cats roaming the streets killing birds and of course the major political faux pas of the year attempting to stifle public participation (wittingly or unwittingly) among other things.

In many ways it's somewhat surprising that he hasn't jumped on here for some truly unbridled conversation about his views. Perhaps other current councillors might wish to start their own threads too ... wouldn't that be interesting!
bobbyrog
Fledgling

Re:

Post by bobbyrog »

A Concerned Citizen wrote: Feb 6th, 2023, 7:48 pm
fluffy wrote: Feb 6th, 2023, 5:47 am To be accurate, Mr. Gilbert placed sixth in a field of sixteen hopefuls. Hardly “last place”. But then again, accuracy and truth are not always the priorities for some.
To be entirely fair gilbert did place sixth out of the sixteen hopefuls by only 20 votes and it is also entirely fair, truthful and accurate to say that he also placed first in the most of other people's money spent by councillors for votes over the last three elections
Incorrect. Bloomfield and Vassilaki spent significantly more than Gilbert.

A Concerned Citizen wrote: Feb 6th, 2023, 7:48 pmand perhaps some of the most controversial issues ranging from opposing motions to get to the bottom of crime, worrying about cats roaming the streets killing birds and of course the major political faux pas of the year attempting to stifle public participation (wittingly or unwittingly) among other things.
Opinion, not fact.
A Concerned Citizen wrote: Feb 6th, 2023, 7:48 pmIn many ways it's somewhat surprising that he hasn't jumped on here for some truly unbridled conversation about his views. Perhaps other current councillors might wish to start their own threads too ... wouldn't that be interesting!
They know better than that.
-Abraham Lincoln
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re:

Post by fluffy »

A Concerned Citizen wrote: Feb 6th, 2023, 7:48 pm…and it is also entirely fair, truthful and accurate to say that he also placed first in the most of other people's money spent by councillors for votes…
In the game of politics this is called “voter support”. Councillors Gilbert, Watt and Konanz all had very similar numbers as to the amount of public support they received.
In many ways it's somewhat surprising that he hasn't jumped on here for some truly unbridled conversation about his views. Perhaps other current councillors might wish to start their own threads too ... wouldn't that be interesting!
It doesn't take a crystal ball to see how that would turn out. For the most part his detractors in this thread are not burdened with an over supply of political knowledge or civility, and I suspect “unbridled conversation” would mean little more than the name calling and misrepresentation apparent the current conversation.

We don't have to agree with Mr. Gilbert’s views, but democratic process has earned him the right to voice his concerns as a member of or town council.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
A Concerned Citizen
Lord of the Board

energygal wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 7:57 pm
twobits wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 6:40 pm
That is my hope as well!
Out of all the various forums on Castanet this has been one of the most revealing. One needs to wonder if the 20 vote margin would have in fact occurred if as part of gilbert's platform he had made his proposals such as limiting public input at council meetings well understood. For example criticisms have included published statements such as:
His stand is wrong and immoral and Gilbert should at least publicly apologize to the citizens for his stand. The same applies to his position on bike lanes, supported by the other council naysayers, to finish the bike lanes at all cost without any input from concerned citizens through a referendum.
And questions to him such as ...
“Are you one of those I alluded to that would rather be something than rather do something? Did you not run to be of service to your constituents. If so, how is restricting or limiting input by them at council meetings meeting their needs?
All people have the right to form their own opinions and express them individually. A forum like this is a sign of a free society that creates a "marketplace of ideas" where people exchange their views on any number of issues. In some ways a forum like this is one means among a variety of participatory activities that can be used to ensure that elected officials remain accountable to the people rather than just at the ballot box.
bobbyrog
Fledgling

Post by bobbyrog »

A Concerned Citizen wrote: Feb 7th, 2023, 7:20 pmAll people have the right to form their own opinions and express them individually.
Including Gilbert :)
Let's stay on topic and not continue to delve into what other users are saying or conspiracy theories. :topic:
-Abraham Lincoln
Jeckle_72

Post by Jeckle_72 »

A Concerned Citizen wrote: Feb 7th, 2023, 7:20 pm
energygal wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 7:57 pm

That is my hope as well!
Out of all the various forums on Castanet this has been one of the most revealing. One needs to wonder if the 20 vote margin would have in fact occurred if as part of gilbert's platform he had made his proposals such as limiting public input at council meetings well understood. For example criticisms have included published statements such as:
His stand is wrong and immoral and Gilbert should at least publicly apologize to the citizens for his stand. The same applies to his position on bike lanes, supported by the other council naysayers, to finish the bike lanes at all cost without any input from concerned citizens through a referendum.
And questions to him such as ...
“Are you one of those I alluded to that would rather be something than rather do something? Did you not run to be of service to your constituents. If so, how is restricting or limiting input by them at council meetings meeting their needs?
All people have the right to form their own opinions and express them individually. A forum like this is a sign of a free society that creates a "marketplace of ideas" where people exchange their views on any number of issues. In some ways a forum like this is one means among a variety of participatory activities that can be used to ensure that elected officials remain accountable to the people rather than just at the ballot box.
Yes. Let`s stick to the facts according to the charter. The protection of freedom of expression is premised upon fundamental principles and values that promote the search for and attainment of truth, participation in social and political decision-making and the opportunity for individual self-fulfillment through expression (Irwin Toy Ltd. v. Quebec (Attorney General), [1989] 1 S.C.R. 927 at 976; Ford v. Quebec, [1988] 2 S.C.R. 712 at 765-766).

The Supreme Court of Canada has maintained that the connection between freedom of expression and the political process is “perhaps the linchpin” of section 2(b) protection (R. v. Keegstra, [1990] 3 S.C.R. 697; Thomson Newspapers Co. v. Canada (A.G.), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 877; Harper v. Canada (Attorney General), [2004] 1 S.C.R. 827). Free expression is valued above all as being instrumental to democratic governance. The two other rationales for protecting freedom of expression — encouraging the search for truth through the open exchange of ideas, and fostering individual self-actualization, thus directly engaging individual human dignity — are also key values that animate section 2(b) analysis.

Don`t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out.

Return to “South Okanagan”