Diabetes

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Re: Diabetes

Post by hozzle »

Fancy wrote: Feb 8th, 2023, 3:39 pm Seniors are advised to take vitamin D. Anyone living in gloomy foggy conditions the same.
Yes... of course.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I'm not sure why Campbell had his knickers in a knot over Vit D, anyone can read up on it and decide if they want/need it. He says "everyone " should be urged to take it, but there's no supplement which applies to "everyone". Some might want to get tested to see if they are deficient, can also be done thru online services if their doc won't order it, and knowing their levels, there are calculators online to tell people how much Vit D they would have to take to reach x level in their system. In the u.k. the health system even supplies those who are poor with Vit D, but I should think anyone can get it if they find they need it. Since it's not a pharmaceutical anyone can get more Vit D from sun or supplements, if they want to.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Feb 8th, 2023, 9:01 pm I'm not sure why Campbell had his knickers in a knot over Vit D, anyone can read up on it and decide if they want/need it. He says "everyone " should be urged to take it, but there's no supplement which applies to "everyone". Some might want to get tested to see if they are deficient, can also be done thru online services if their doc won't order it, and knowing their levels, there are calculators online to tell people how much Vit D they would have to take to reach x level in their system. In the u.k. the health system even supplies those who are poor with Vit D, but I should think anyone can get it if they find they need it. Since it's not a pharmaceutical anyone can get more Vit D from sun or supplements, if they want to.
I'm not sure why anyone would have their knickers in a knot over Dr. Campbell reviewing studies that show an increase in vitamin D may be helpful in preventing diabetes and other health problems, and suggesting his audience consider upping their vitamin D intake and consulting their GP about the dosage.

But here we are, with more complaints about Dr. Campbell getting the word out to people who may not have heard about those studies showing vitamin D may be helpful in preventing diabetes, like it's a bad thing and he shouldn't be doing it.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

Hard to believe how some complain about Campbell yet align with that idiot Scott Adams. Major malfunction happening there.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

rustled wrote: Feb 8th, 2023, 11:01 pm
Silverstarqueen wrote: Feb 8th, 2023, 9:01 pm I'm not sure why Campbell had his knickers in a knot over Vit D, anyone can read up on it and decide if they want/need it. He says "everyone " should be urged to take it, but there's no supplement which applies to "everyone". Some might want to get tested to see if they are deficient, can also be done thru online services if their doc won't order it, and knowing their levels, there are calculators online to tell people how much Vit D they would have to take to reach x level in their system. In the u.k. the health system even supplies those who are poor with Vit D, but I should think anyone can get it if they find they need it. Since it's not a pharmaceutical anyone can get more Vit D from sun or supplements, if they want to.
I'm not sure why anyone would have their knickers in a knot over Dr. Campbell reviewing studies that show an increase in vitamin D may be helpful in preventing diabetes and other health problems, and suggesting his audience consider upping their vitamin D intake and consulting their GP about the dosage.

But here we are, with more complaints about Dr. Campbell getting the word out to people who may not have heard about those studies showing vitamin D may be helpful in preventing diabetes, like it's a bad thing and he shouldn't be doing it.
I already explained the concerns that I had with Campbells videos on this. He misrepresented the strength of the evidence in the studies, including a large non-randomized controlled trial, didn't do his homework on that, and then used this as a soapbox to take digs at why the u.k. health system wasn't doing a big promo on Vit D. He didn't mention that they u.k offers free Vit D to those at risk who may not be able to afford it, claimed they were not doing due diligence to this issue. He promoted Vit D as a treatment for Covid and Diabetes prevention, which it is not. If he had taken a balanced presentation on Vit D, and acknowleged that the evidence was weak at best (from those particular studies, not all random controlled). I also provided a much more balanced example of an analysis of studies which covered the diabetes/Vit D issue and the limitations of the findings, where there was no political grandstanding involved. Campbell should stick to the scientific evidence and stop playing to certain groups biases, which he did claim at one point he was going to "follow the evidence". Maybe he just doesn't understand the difference between a randomized controlled trial and one which is not, maybe he's just too lazy to do his homework, and is only interested in getting more clicks for his videos.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 9th, 2023, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

77TA wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 5:53 am Hard to believe how some complain about Campbell yet align with that idiot Scott Adams. Major malfunction happening there.
Scott Adams is a comedian, doing what comedians do best, and his comedy is rather brilliant. Yes, I "align" with comedic relief which is what he provided rather cleverly in the video I mentioned. If he ever seriously begins to present himself as a "doctor", giving questionable medical advice, then I would call him out for that.
Campbell has a different role, he puts up his shingle as a "doctor", and is telling people that Vit D is a treatment for Covid and Diabetes prevention(which it is not), when there other very important and far more effective considerations in treating those serious conditions. If he would leave his politics at the door and stick with evidence based science as he claimed he would do, that would be better. The evidence for Vit D in these conditions is weak at best.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 9th, 2023, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

Yes, those 'alignment' preferences of influence are very clearly understood, like I said.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I’m looking forward to reading the long term study - sounds promising.
Vitamin D shows promise for children newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes
Study results suggest adding supplement to insulin therapy may slow disease progression
https://www.umassmed.edu/news/news-arch ... -diabetes/
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 6:04 am
rustled wrote: Feb 8th, 2023, 11:01 pm

I already explained the concerns that I had with Campbells videos on this. He misrepresented
The "concerns" misrepresent what Dr. Campbell actually said in this video - his review of the study, the contents of that study, and his recommendations to his viewers about vitamin D vis a vis diabetes. The concerns are a highly subjective opinion.

There was nothing wrong with his review.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 6:10 am
77TA wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 5:53 am Hard to believe how some complain about Campbell yet align with that idiot Scott Adams. Major malfunction happening there.
Scott Adams is a comedian, doing what comedians do best, and his comedy is rather brilliant. Yes, I "align" with comedic relief which is what he provided rather cleverly in the video I mentioned. If he ever seriously begins to present himself as a "doctor", giving questionable medical advice, then I would call him out for that.
Campbell has a different role, he puts up his shingle as a "doctor", and is telling people that Vit D is a treatment for Covid and Diabetes prevention(which it is not), when there other very important and far more effective considerations in treating those serious conditions. If he would leave his politics at the door and stick with evidence based science as he claimed he would do, that would be better. The evidence for Vit D in these conditions is weak at best.
Again, misrepresenting what he has said, to suit the anti-Dr. Campbell narrative. The constant misrepresenting complaints about him from a random poster on the internet come across as petty.

I, for one, appreciate his having brought the vitamin D studies showing an interesting correlation to mitigating diabetes to the public's attention.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Fancy wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 7:33 am I’m looking forward to reading the long term study - sounds promising.
Study results suggest adding supplement to insulin therapy may slow disease progression
It does! That's even better news!
Next, Nwosu is launching a longer-term trial to clearly delineate the impact of vitamin D on partial clinical remission, which was not fully shown in this short-term study.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Interesting your thoughts on this but when it comes to people understanding the science of vulnerability to severe covid you do not support similiar reasoning and facts.
Everything you post, any beliefs you want to have change immediately to a very different way if respecting everyones extremely different case to needing a man. Sync drug for covid.
What you say above is common sense and a reasonable approach to any health concern.
And then you are very aggressive about the vax being the only answer to science.
Like the many you are about here, they are understanding, respecting and addressing a science based approach. Not a political and emotional one for their safety.
"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Fancy wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 7:33 am I’m looking forward to reading the long term study - sounds promising.
Finland did research on Vit D to reduce incidence of type 1 in children many years ago. Change in incidence of type 1 since supplementing infants and children.
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/9 ... 53/2836243
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

liisgo wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 7:53 am
Interesting your thoughts on this but when it comes to people understanding the science of vulnerability to severe covid you do not support similiar reasoning and facts.
Everything you post, any beliefs you want to have change immediately to a very different way if respecting everyones extremely different case to needing a man. Sync drug for covid.
What you say above is common sense and a reasonable approach to any health concern.
And then you are very aggressive about the vax being the only answer to science.
Like the many you are about here, they are understanding, respecting and addressing a science based approach. Not a political and emotional one for their safety.
Very aggressive about the vaccine? I didn't even mention it. And I have said more than once that not everyone needs the vaccine, and not everyone needs as many boosters as say, the elderly or at higher risk individuals. Therefore it appears you haven't been reading my comments on the vaccine enough to comment on them. Campbell has even called for a halt to the vaccine, which is insane, given how many at risk individuals there are. He has made a point of saying how "concerned" he is about side effects like "headache" from the vaccine, but says he is unconcerned about the millions who have died, and even are currently dying in countries which are not adequately vaccinated. Strange that, coming from a retired nurse, "doctor".
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 9:48 am
liisgo wrote: Feb 9th, 2023, 7:53 am

Campbell has even called for a halt to the vaccine,
Likely another mischaracterization prior to ad hominem.

Gotta thank you for bringing Dr. Campbell's review of the vitamin D/diabetes studies to our attention. I hadn't heard about that field of promising research until he was being criticized for reviewing some of the findings.

Interesting how Dr. Campbell and the people who criticize him are a pretty good team, letting us know what's being researched, including this topic.

Return to “Health”