The day I realized there is no god.

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The day I realized there is no god.

Post by metallica »

bb49 wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 3:38 pm
metallica wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 2:39 pm When my Son was killed by a friend of a friend he had just met.
Death, inexplicable horrors, tragedies will do that to a person's beliefs.

I feel for your loss.
A parent should not have to bury their child.
That's what I told the young officer that night. I can't imagine what he was going thru, he was so young and having to tell me this had to be very hard on him. I'm sure a lot of people will say Look what is happening in the World, why is your son so special? And I agree with them, except he was my only child and was special to me. :admin: :admin:
Thankyou for your kind post bb49. I'm going to put my smiley face on now. However what you and yours celebrate over the
Holidays I wish you well. Be safe and enjoy.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

metallica, I can't imagine the turmoil you've been through. I do not think there is any pain more severe than the death of a child. I'm sorry. :cry:
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Glacier wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 3:32 pm metallica, I can't imagine the turmoil you've been through. I do not think there is any pain more severe than the death of a child. I'm sorry. :cry:
Sadly many of us do understand.... We love you.... Agape.... A principle love for all.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

It's coming on 13 years now and I let my guard down a bit today. Thankyou for your kind words, starting to tear up so I think will go hug my dog and take a break. Don't hurt your backs shoveling in the next few days. :topic:
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

The existence of a god or gods is a matter of belief and faith, and there is no definitive scientific evidence one way or the other. Different people and cultures have different beliefs about the existence and nature of a higher power or deity, and these beliefs often play a significant role in their worldviews and values.

There are many arguments and theories that have been put forward both for and against the existence of a god or gods, but ultimately, it is up to each individual to decide what they believe based on their own experiences, values, and interpretation of the evidence available to them.
We're lost but we're making good time.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I Think wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 12:49 pm Cheddar Gorge is near my home town in England, located in the Mendip Hills, I was just reminded of Mendip by Weather Woman and remembered the day.
It was in 1952 or '53, I used to hitch hike home from school rather that wait an hour for the bus, and was walking into the village of Mendip a beautiful small village with thatched roof cottages, dotted on the sides of the valley, on a perfect sunny spring Friday afternoon, we had had bible study in the last period, and I was thinking about it as I walked. I realized that there was no evidence to substantiate the existence of a god or other supernatural being, now almost 70 years on, still have not found or been shown any evidence to change my understanding.
It's a silly concept that there's some supreme being that controls an infinite universe. The concept of God is a simplification of something that's impossible to understand by most people.

I can picture our ancestors, hundreds of thousands of years ago, sitting around their campfires, telling stories to explain the things around them they didn't understand. Eventually, these stories were written down and combined to form the great religious books that we have today. That's really what religion is - something created by primitive people to explain their world. We don't need it anymore - it's outlived its usefulness. In fact, the world might be a much better place without religion. It makes us think someone will come and save us. No they won't - it's up to us to save ourselves. Too many people say "God will save us" or "it's God's will so we just have to accept it." That's dumb.

Heaven is another dumb concept. People are naturally afraid of death and it's only natural that the concept of the afterlife would appear in folklore. My wife is religious and completely believes in heaven. I like to annoy her by asking her if there's tv in heaven or can you golf there? if heaven did exist, can you imagine how boring it would be? What do you do, sit around for an eternity making small talk? I would rather be dead although I do think it would be a lot of fun to be a ghost.

Here's a question for you. If a giant asteroid completely destroyed Earth - what would God do with his time? Would he cease to exist or is he the ruler of alien races that exist elsewhere in the Universe? Would he get bored and create a new Earth for something to do? New worlds are being born all the time throughout the Universe - but not because a Supreme Being sees fit to create them.

We are here because of a series of lucky accidents that happened over millions of years. Not because some puppet master looking down on us from above controls our destiny. Religion is for the intellectually lazy.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

What I find amusing is the amount of time "non believers" spend trying to convince others God doesn't exist .
Why waste your time? You don't believe there is anything else and you waste what little time you have on earth trying to convince others there is no God as if there were.
countmeout
Übergod

Post by countmeout »

Amusing to you, annoying for others.

Religion affects everyone, religious or not. Wars, stereotypes, oppression, and freedom. Religion is tangled in all of them. Less positives than negatives for religion today. Prior to modern technology religion served as a great way to control a population, today, it's not helping.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

There is a big difference in believing there is a creator and Religion.
There is no arguing about the problems Religion has caused.
Personally I think you need more faith to believe life formed from nothing than you do to believe in creation.

As a person born before colour t.v , computers and cell phones I recognize that if those huge advances are now minor comforts we really know nothing .
Dead right
Board Meister

Post by Dead right »

cutter7 wrote: Feb 8th, 2023, 7:08 am to believe life formed from nothing
In an infinite amount of time all things possible will happen, since we are here it follows that it is possible. Not faith just recognition that since it happened it must be possible. On the other side to believe a god with infinite powers did this as his best work is a stretch of the imagination.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Dead right wrote: Feb 8th, 2023, 11:26 am to believe a god with infinite powers ...
Okay then, there is no God.

So we need to appoint a god - I suggest Zelensky. What does everyone think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bssLr2A ... Pg&index=7

:hailjo: Zelensky is worthy of standing ovations. Zelensky is worthy of standing ovations.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Dead right
Board Meister

Post by Dead right »

Thinktank wrote: Feb 8th, 2023, 5:20 pm So we need to appoint a god
Sorry we do not get to appoint gods. They have to prove themselves, that's why there are no gods.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

Dead right wrote: Feb 8th, 2023, 11:26 am
cutter7 wrote: Feb 8th, 2023, 7:08 am to believe life formed from nothing
In an infinite amount of time all things possible will happen, since we are here it follows that it is possible. Not faith just recognition that since it happened it must be possible. On the other side to believe a god with infinite powers did this as his best work is a stretch of the imagination.
If all possible things will happen, there could be a god with infinite powers. I'm sure you see the problem here...
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

God allows bad things to happen - is what the preachers said.
Why is God allowing Zelensky I wonder?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Dead right
Board Meister

Post by Dead right »

techrtr wrote: Jan 30th, 2023, 11:02 am what would God do with his time?
Does god recognize time?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”