Blast

Re: They fought for our freedom

Post by Blast »

I hope you meet up with again also.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Blast wrote: Feb 2nd, 2023, 9:08 am I hope you meet up with again also.
:130:

I just remembered one comment Wall made:

"Almost everyday I wake up and still hear the "thwip thwip" sound of German bullets hitting the water around our landing craft as we approached Juno. I will never forget it".
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Feb 10th, 2023, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Dead right
Board Meister

Post by Dead right »

His name is Henny Munro, and he was an equipment operator I worked with several times when I was still doing camp jobs. We would have a few drinks and sometimes he would tell me about what Juno really was like. I think it was therapy for him. The things he saw that he could talk about and the friends he lost changed how I saw war. He is gone now; I keep his tales of war alive whenever I can and pass them on to a new generation. The stories can still bring a tear to my eye.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Apr 9th, 2022, 1:33 pm April 9.
Vimy Ridge Day.
One of Canada's most defining days.

https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/C ... dge#365566
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/brief ... ditorsNote

I bought Tim Cook's book "Vimy", looking forward to reading it in the summer.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Apr 12th, 2023, 6:24 pm
Babba_not_Gump wrote: Apr 9th, 2022, 1:33 pm April 9.
Vimy Ridge Day.
One of Canada's most defining days.

https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/C ... dge#365566

I'll have to look that one up.
I have VIMY by Pierre Berton and VIMY! by Herbert Wood.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

I have a hard time with ancient glories. I know we kicked *bleep* in ww1 and ww2. But since then we have become a non-existent military worldwide. And gave away the Avro Arrows and our tech far too easily. Let's face it - training-managing-security in conflicts is not glamorous at all. We can't even be confident about the security of our own far north. My son was educated in StJean and Gagetown. And then moved to the base in Manitoba. For months CF was double charging him for residences. One in Gagetown and one at Shilo. Guys in NATO exercises in Europe are not even being paid properly. This isn't anything new. It crosses the political leadership equally. I thank god for the high number of immigrants. Because then we will have a higher tax base to fund our military a bit more. And not be a laughing stock militarily to the rest of the G8 anymore.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Apr 12th, 2023, 7:12 pm
The Green Barbarian wrote: Apr 12th, 2023, 6:24 pm

I'll have to look that one up.
I have VIMY by Pierre Berton and VIMY! by Herbert Wood.
I read the Pierre Berton book, going to see how it stacks up to Tim Cook's version of events.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

June 6th. 150,000 landed in Normandy 79 years ago this morning. About 10,000 died the first day.
These are the men who offered their lives to defeat nazism and give us our freedoms we enjoy today.

Thank you gentlemen and all the women working behind the scenes like at Bletchley Park that made it happen. :130:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

seewood wrote: Jun 6th, 2023, 11:46 am June 6th. 150,000 landed in Normandy 79 years ago this morning. About 10,000 died the first day.
These are the men who offered their lives to defeat nazism and give us our freedoms we enjoy today.

Thank you gentlemen and all the women working behind the scenes like at Bletchley Park that made it happen. :130:
:up: :up: :up:
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Our Canadian military contributed to D Day in a large way.
Canadian Army. 14,000 Canadians at Juno Beach.
The Royal Canadian Navy contributed 110 ships and 10,000 sailors.
The RCAF contributed 15 fighter and fighter-bomber squadrons to the assault.

Canadian casualties on that one day were 359 killed, 715 wounded or missing.
By the end of the Battle of Normandy, the Allies had suffered 209,000 casualties, including more than 18,700 Canadians.
Over 5,000 Canadian soldiers died.

The Canadian War Cemetery at Beny-sur-Mer.
cemetary.jpg
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Jun 6th, 2023, 4:24 pm Our Canadian military contributed to D Day in a large way.
Canadian Army. 14,000 Canadians at Juno Beach.
The Royal Canadian Navy contributed 110 ships and 10,000 sailors.
The RCAF contributed 15 fighter and fighter-bomber squadrons to the assault.

Canadian casualties on that one day were 359 killed, 715 wounded or missing.
By the end of the Battle of Normandy, the Allies had suffered 209,000 casualties, including more than 18,700 Canadians.
Over 5,000 Canadian soldiers died.

The Canadian War Cemetery at Beny-sur-Mer.
cemetary.jpg
Been there!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

^^^
I want to go there. Hopefully next year.

Bény-sur-Mer contains the remains of nine sets of brothers, Canadian prisoners of war illegally executed at Ardenne Abbey and the grave of the Reverend (Honorary Captain) Walter Leslie Brown, who was murdered on the night of June 6 to 7, by members of III/25th S.S. Panzer Grenedier Regiment, Galmanch.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9 ... r_Cemetery

#StandUpToJewishHate
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Jun 6th, 2023, 7:18 pm ^^^
I want to go there. Hopefully next year.

Bény-sur-Mer contains the remains of nine sets of brothers, Canadian prisoners of war illegally executed at Ardenne Abbey and the grave of the Reverend (Honorary Captain) Walter Leslie Brown, who was murdered on the night of June 6 to 7, by members of III/25th S.S. Panzer Grenedier Regiment, Galmanch.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9 ... r_Cemetery
yeah that wasn't a wise move by those SS guys. After word spread about that massacre, let's just say that the Canadians were not too motivated to take any SS prisoner any more.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

superman.jpg
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."

Return to “Canada”