Unidentified Floating Objects

nepal
Übergod

Re: Chinese Spy Ballooons & Spies

Post by nepal »

I guess balloons are replacing satellites. Seems group-think has already concluded the purpose and owner of theses balloons, even before their retrieval. There are hundreds of large balloons aloft for various purposes at any given time. It will be interesting to hear what the actual findings are, as to the purpose of these wayward balloons, that have all the sudden become important.

Here’s another scary balloon: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... _4nSHdO05w

:panic:

Most concerning for untracked balloons, is getting into jetliner airways, at which point they need to be removed.
GenesisGT
Guru

Re: Unidentified Floating Objects

Post by GenesisGT »

Maybe NORAD should turn to the internet to track balloons. Just kidding. Legally launched balloons do have a transponder on board, which is the same as an aircraft transponder, so that the location/altitude can be seen by ground radar and aircraft radar.

Below is a website that tracks balloon launches, and it should be noted that some of these balloons, including weather radiosonde balloons reach altitudes over 20,000 meters or 60,000ft.

In Canada the weather radiosonde program has been greatly reduced over the years, I am not sure how many release sites there still are, but it is not many, when it used to be quite a few. like around 20 or 30 but don't quote me on that.

https://s1.radiosondy.info/
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

I would like to know do the pilots say dibs on who gets to shoot
65deluxe
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 65deluxe »

balloons.jpg
"The most powerful governments in the world can't solve homelessness.
But they can change the earths temperature if you pay more taxes."
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

balloons.jpg
[/quote] lol
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

motokelowna1 wrote: Feb 13th, 2023, 9:13 am I would like to know do the pilots say dibs on who gets to shoot
Trudeau claims it was decided that whichever country's jets had that best chance of shooting the balloons down would do the deed. Why the heck would anyone waste a good (and expensive) missle on these objects? Why not just use some 50 calibre bullets or whatever ammo is on board to do the job; then far less chance of completely destroying it, thus more chance of actually finding it on the ground and identifiying the objective of its mission.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

XT225 wrote: Feb 13th, 2023, 11:39 am
motokelowna1 wrote: Feb 13th, 2023, 9:13 am I would like to know do the pilots say dibs on who gets to shoot
Trudeau claims it was decided that whichever country's jets had that best chance of shooting the balloons down would do the deed. Why the heck would anyone waste a good (and expensive) missle on these objects? Why not just use some 50 calibre bullets or whatever ammo is on board to do the job; then far less chance of completely destroying it, thus more chance of actually finding it on the ground and identifiying the objective of its mission.
I have a good sling-shot
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

XT225 wrote: Feb 13th, 2023, 11:39 am Trudeau claims it was decided that whichever country's jets had that best chance of shooting the balloons down would do the deed. Why the heck would anyone waste a good (and expensive) missle on these objects? Why not just use some 50 calibre bullets or whatever ammo is on board to do the job; then far less chance of completely destroying it, thus more chance of actually finding it on the ground and identifiying the objective of its mission.
I guess we can file this under "We are kept in the dark by our inept government"

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/41 ... cts#411240

Short version,,, we don't have the correct type of missiles to shoot these down. We have (basically) antique jets with antique weapons. The auditor general warned they had "become" outdated in a 2018 report.

The US government approved the sale of AIM-9X Sidewinder missiles and advance radar to Canada in June 2020, and I guess they are on back order. So when we have a problem we call "big brother", I guess like "little brother" we can scramble our planes (if we can keep up) and watch how they do it. Then create the media release "Canada and the US shot down...." which of course is total BS.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Streamed live 4 hours ago...

Looking at the background of that video, it confirms what I suggested late yesterday. There seems to be a lot of resources that have been mobilized into Whitehorse to recover the object.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

aliens coming to earth. :200:
[icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

What a joke,,, me thinks Freeland was looking for ammo in her purse for her slingshot to defend Canada while trudie is basting in the sun down south..
But here is the last statement..
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/41 ... ng-objects
Was discussed in JUNE 2020 and nothing done... come on lets get with the show...
So for information sake I goggled it takes 1 hr for a F18 to reach say whitehorse YT ( from Cold Lake base ) and then do the job ourselves .... but wait they may have to refuel on the way or find the few bullets Ottawa let out of the locked gun box..lol
We have instant money for all the woke ideas but have to use US military to defend canada against a weather ballon... lol
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

51, if you include firing a Sidewinder Aim 9x at them.

Older article, mainly written around the first balloon incident, but interesting all the same.
Balloon Shoot-Down Reveals New Insights On U.S., Chinese Capabilities

The bizarre five-day, 2,000-mi. journey across the U.S. of China’s apparent spy balloon revealed three important new insights: A Raytheon AIM-9X Sidewinder-armed F-22 can shoot down a floating object above 60,000 ft., U.S. officials believe Beijing has waged a yearslong aerial spying campaign with high-altitude balloons, and some experts think the Chinese vessel reveals a potential breakthrough of ultra-long-endurance, lighter-than-air technology.
https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/ ... us-chinese

I apologize for the interruption and I now return you to the regularly scheduled discussion around how much safer we'd be if only a Canadian jet had shot down the object and not an American one. :135:
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

the truth wrote: Feb 13th, 2023, 2:18 pm aliens coming to earth. :200:
[icon_lol2.gif]
Seriously truth! See 2:00 minutes into video, this averts any fear of terrestrial invasion. Apparently no aliens on board the balloons, although apparently it was possible. After all, we circle Mars analyzing their weather, so perhaps Martians figured they come do the same here, and squirt us with green rain while here.

No April fools now!
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

polelady wrote: Feb 13th, 2023, 2:40 pm What a joke,,,
We have instant money for all the woke ideas but have to use US military to defend canada against a weather ballon... lol
This last line of your post, has an absolutely scary thought to it that every one should be deeply concerned about.
While we indulge ourselves in this country in wokeness, politically correct, identity politics, victimhood's, defunding police etc. the rest of the world is serious about survival, energy, food, medical for its people not to mention the ability to defend itself.
This little dream JT has is going to sewer us as we spend more time and energy appeasing some peoples feelings than actually protecting and providing.
We are in serious trouble.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

*narrator's voice*

The objects are in pieces, scattered all over the ground. A threat to no one.

Pictures reveal the fact that it took two Aim 9x's to down yesterday's object, but I get your point, we'd be way more safer if Canada had spent the 1.2 million dollars and was out two missiles today. :135:

Return to “World”