Air quality

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Air quality

Post by bob vernon »

Oh no. Vernon's air quality is 63 micrograms per cubic metre and Kelowna's is only 39.

The air quality advisory for Vernon has been re-issued. It happens every year from about Winter Carnival time until roughly Easter. And virtually every news story on this issue that comes from a Vernon source bemoans the fact that the Vernon air quality is worse than Kelowna's. It isn't because the Vernon city and it's street sweepers are inept at clearing the winter's sand off the streets and Kelowna's are just smarter. It has everything to do with the shape of the valley and drainage of cold air overnight and the warming, instability, and venting during the day. Vernon's prevents the mixing layer from getting deep enough during the day to let dust vent out of the valley. And at night that darn Coldstream valley drains cold air into town to trap the dust at the lowest elevations. The valleys are shaped differently in Kelowna.

There are other places in the province with air quality about as bad as Vernon's Golden and Prince George come to mind. Prince George has several monitoring stations, some up on the bench and some in the valley bottom with those valley bottom sites having worse air quality. Golden has a massive amount of traffic to stir up the dust.

This dust will eventually be swept up and the mixing layer will get deeper with warmer weather and the air will get cleaner. Until next February when it will all happen again. Worse than Kelowna. Just like every year.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Air quality

Post by Catsumi »

A swinery, complete with bike deconstruction evidence

7B4BEA68-2F8A-4458-BD49-3C0611DDA4BD.png

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/41 ... -in-Vernon
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Catsumi wrote: Mar 17th, 2023, 7:09 pm A swinery, complete with bike deconstruction evidence
I can hear you Cats, but believe me this is nothing compared to some bigger cities on the west coast. I was in Portland OR a few months ago, and some areas there look like scenes right out of Mad Max movies, no kidding. :-X
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

BC Landlord wrote: Mar 29th, 2023, 3:08 pm
Catsumi wrote: Mar 17th, 2023, 7:09 pm A swinery, complete with bike deconstruction evidence
I can hear you Cats, but believe me this is nothing compared to some bigger cities on the west coast. I was in Portland OR a few months ago, and some areas there look like scenes right out of Mad Max movies, no kidding. :-X
It may be worse elsewhere. When isn’t it?

In my area there is a lovely stream running through Vernon on its way to the lake. A vacant lot next to the stream is covered in litter, everything from sleeping bags, shopping carts, plastic food containers, drug paraphernalia, boxes, paper wrappers…you name it, it is there, waiting for a breeze to carry it into the stream and onward to the lake.

It is enough to make one weep.

Should one make an attempt to clean it up would be a waste of time as the yahoos will be back at sunset to party again.

Sad, yes. I am so sad to see the desecration of waterways by those we have spent untold fortunes on to educate in conservation and environmental issues. This is what we are turning out today….peeps who’d rather get wasted, leave messes wherever they go and who demand nothing but the best of public services from ambulance to hospital care to housing, and give nothing back but their garbage and their contempt.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Catsumi wrote: Mar 29th, 2023, 7:10 pm It may be worse elsewhere. When isn’t it?
I am not trying to downplay Vernon's issues. Just to show you where it's leading to if unchecked .. It's becoming prolific, everywhere.

This is Edmonton's transit ...
https://twitter.com/artcgreen/status/16 ... KRyMktAAAA
And this is Calgary's transit ...
https://twitter.com/i/status/1641990389736550400

And this is happening 24/7. People are scared to use transit, especially women. They get harassed, assaulted, and worse. Yet, government officials are downplaying it and doing nothing about it for political correctness reasons. Weird times, wouldn't you think?

Return to “North Okanagan”