Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2023

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
SuperMom
Board Meister

Re: Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2023

Post by SuperMom »

The tomatillo seeds I ordered have arrived. The package says to begin sprouting indoors on April 1. Does that sound like the right time to begin? Any advice for my black thumbs when it comes to starting seeds indoors?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

SuperMom wrote: Feb 18th, 2023, 8:05 am The tomatillo seeds I ordered have arrived. The package says to begin sprouting indoors on April 1. Does that sound like the right time to begin? Any advice for my black thumbs when it comes to starting seeds indoors?
Start them now, they don't need sun until after they have sprouted, but keep them warm and moist. You could als sprout them in between a double layer of folded paper towels in your furnace room while you are waiting for bags of soil to be picked up.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

After the disaster in our garden last year with grass and weeds taking over I decided to try covering with tarps.

We picked up several cheap ones at Princess Auto a few weeks ago and laid them over.

Will see what happens.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: Feb 18th, 2023, 10:33 am After the disaster in our garden last year with grass and weeds taking over I decided to try covering with tarps.

We picked up several cheap ones at Princess Auto a few weeks ago and laid them over.

Will see what happens.
If you go to Home Hardware on Hwy 33, you can get used lumber wraps for free. (Black on one side advertising on the other).
Put them black side up at the end of the growing season ASAP to prevent weed seeds from landing on your soil.
Leave them in place as long as possible so that the solar heat gets so high that it will kill off everything under it. The soil will be dry and easier to work over, earlier in the season.
I would have put this in the forum but, I didn't want to inundate HH with other tarp seekers. SSShhhhhhsss, this is just between you and me.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

You know how some years you can fudge the "don't plant until May long weekend" rule? I can remember one I planted by May 1 and all was fine. This year appears to be one where the rule may not be negotiable.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/414169 ... n-average-

I posted that in the Nice Weather thread, but then I wasn't sure how many gardening enthusiasts frequent that thread.
I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Plant a garden before May Two-Four?
Yes, and this is what can go in now

https://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2020 ... g-now.html

Planting Calendar for Kelowna, BC
https://www.almanac.com/gardening/plant ... BC/Kelowna
Last edited by alanjh595 on Mar 3rd, 2023, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Yesterday I did a bit of pruning. I had gotten started on my goji berry - it had gone nuts on me. I decided I don't actually like the flavour, so this year I'll be digging it up to give to my sister-in-law. When I asked her if she wanted it, she said yes but was apprehensive about how massive and wild it was, I told her I'd prune it down to a transportable size. I was almost done when my friend called to see if I wanted to go to Ted's Paperbacks (spoiler: I did!).

Pup loves to deke in behind the hazelnuts, where I can't get easily to clean up, so I have piled all the prunings in a way that blocks him from it (he is NOT impressed). It wouldn't be such an issue if I hadn't found a half-eaten chicken drummette in the area - tossed by a neighbour (not sure which, could be 1 of 2 or possibly 3). Since cooked chicken bones are dangerous for pup I have taken to scanning the area for dangers when I let him out. :-X

I had hoped to get some more done in the yard today, but since we didn't get the grocery shopping done yesterday it must be done today. So, possibly, if I have any oomph left.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

when should you plant peas?

anyone know?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Thinktank wrote: Mar 19th, 2023, 3:15 pm when should you plant peas?

anyone know?
Was thinking the same thing. Soon I believe.

I'm now in a condo and was recently give a Community Garden plot. Now comes the challenge of growing as much as possible in a small area.
I'm hoping to try peas real soon, then when they're done in the early summer I'll replace them with something else.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

anyone know?
My father had a rule. Drop your pants sit on the soil. If it was not uncomfortable, plant away!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Plant your peas, chard, spinach, lettuce and radishes now. Keep the ground moist. They’ll do just fine.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Catsumi wrote: Mar 19th, 2023, 5:41 pm Plant your peas, chard, spinach, lettuce and radishes now. Keep the ground moist. They’ll do just fine.
My garden bed is still covered in snow, so sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Glacier wrote: Mar 19th, 2023, 5:47 pm
Catsumi wrote: Mar 19th, 2023, 5:41 pm Plant your peas, chard, spinach, lettuce and radishes now. Keep the ground moist. They’ll do just fine.
My garden bed is still covered in snow, so sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you.
Oh, oh. Forgot about you in the hinterland, Glacier.

Your time is coming too
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

anyone know?
I'm putting a row in next week. Green Arrow or some heritage variety.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Ken7 wrote: Mar 19th, 2023, 4:52 pm

anyone know?
My father had a rule. Drop your pants sit on the soil. If it was not uncomfortable, plant away!
In a public garden? :200:
Well why not, the street people do it.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Creative Endeavours”