Hopefully peace and goodwill prevails.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Chang: China Is Preparing To Go To War

Post by GordonH »

Bumped up

Apparently it’s not if now, it’s when.

https://www.castanet.net/news/World/420 ... ear-Taiwan
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

Interesting that Russia is holding massive naval exercises in the Pacific as Chinas defence minister is visiting. You have to wonder if theyd offer support to a Chinese gambit to take Taiwan.

Something like 160 ships involved? We should inform the Russians they have a lower GDP than Canada and therefore what they are doing is impossible.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

gertlush wrote: Apr 17th, 2023, 6:50 pm Interesting that Russia is holding massive naval exercises in the Pacific as Chinas defence minister is visiting. You have to wonder if theyd offer support to a Chinese gambit to take Taiwan.

Something like 160 ships involved? We should inform the Russians they have a lower GDP than Canada and therefore what they are doing is impossible.
You should probably start learning Mandarin.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

I don't think so, English has a lot of advantages as a global lingua franca. Also China has huge systemic problems, there is little chance they could replace America as the global hegemon.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^^ China won't go nuclear to attack Taiwan. They likely would if someone were stupid enough to invade China.

North Korea with the short fat little twit at the helm is a bigger worry.
gertlush wrote: Apr 17th, 2023, 6:50 pm We should inform the Russians they have a lower GDP than Canada and therefore what they are doing is impossible.
However, Russia spends around 20% of the GDP on the military while Canada is a paltry 1.4% or so. And it shows in Canada:
National Defence could not meet the new requirement for Canada’s fighter force
What we found
3.12We found that Canada’s fighter force could not meet the government’s new operational requirement, which is to have enough aircraft ready each day to meet the highest NORAD alert level and Canada’s NATO commitment at the same time. The fighter force could not meet the requirement because National Defence was already experiencing a shortage in personnel, and the CF-18 was old and increasingly hard to maintain. We also found that the government’s proposed solution of buying interim aircraft will not help solve either the personnel shortage or the aging fleet.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

Russia does not spend 20% of GDP on the military, even a cursory google search says 2021 was about 4%.

And yes, Canadian military procurement is an embarassing disaster.

Both China and the USA have more than enough nukes.

Return to “World”