Headlines that make you go...Hmmmmmmmmm...

A potpourri of off-topics.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Headlines that make you go...Hmmmmmmmmm...

Post by Catsumi »

PoplarSoul wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 5:18 pm Enjoy?
Is that the right word to use?
Hmmmmmmm ...
Residents of Parker Cove enjoy temporary flood reprieve; major damage left in flood's wake
https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/42 ... ood-s-wake
You are right. A better choice would have been “get” temporary relief.

Poor souls.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Anti-capitalist, anti-colonial cafe, shop and radical community space on stolen land restaurant goes broke.
Did anyone see this coming? [icon_lol2.gif]
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/tor ... t-one-year
Toronto 'Anti-Capitalist' Pay-When-You-Can Cafe Shuts Down After Just One Year

Of course this brainless antifa goes on to blame everyone else, calling them “anarcho-capitalists” and “Libertarians, professional class-traitors (pigs and military) and the colonial death camp we call "Canada".

Hey, maybe go back to smashing up Starbucks. No brains required.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 15th, 2023, 1:53 pm Anti-capitalist, anti-colonial cafe, shop and radical community space on stolen land restaurant goes broke.
Did anyone see this coming? [icon_lol2.gif]
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/tor ... t-one-year
Toronto 'Anti-Capitalist' Pay-When-You-Can Cafe Shuts Down After Just One Year

Of course this brainless antifa goes on to blame everyone else, calling them “anarcho-capitalists” and “Libertarians, professional class-traitors (pigs and military) and the colonial death camp we call "Canada".

Hey, maybe go back to smashing up Starbucks. No brains required.
[icon_lol2.gif] :up: love it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 5:21 pm
PoplarSoul wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 5:18 pm Enjoy?
Is that the right word to use?
Hmmmmmmm ...

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/42 ... ood-s-wake
You are right. A better choice would have been “get” temporary relief.

Poor souls.
I suspect the "Fewer" part of his name relates to his brain and thought processes.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Bsuds wrote: May 15th, 2023, 2:34 pm
Catsumi wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 5:21 pm You are right. A better choice would have been “get” temporary relief.

Poor souls.
I suspect the "Fewer" part of his name relates to his brain and thought processes.
??? I don't get it.
Do you know Tracey Prediger, the author of the article?
What is the "Fewer" part of his name?
Edit to add:
If you were talking about me, I'm a "she" and although norma calls me Popular, my name is Poplar (tree).
So, I don't have "Fewer" part (letter) in my name. :D
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

PoplarSoul wrote: May 15th, 2023, 5:20 pm What is the "Fewer" part of his name?
Edit to add:
If you were talking about me, I'm a "she" and although norma calls me Popular, my name is Poplar (tree).
So, I don't have "Fewer" part (letter) in my name. :D
Was not referring to you and I am aware of your user name and suspected your gender but apparently you relate to being a tree. :biggrin:

The fewer is in reference to the nutcase closing the restaurant in Ontario as it is part of his name.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Bsuds wrote: May 15th, 2023, 7:50 pm Was not referring to you and I am aware of your user name and suspected your gender but apparently you relate to being a tree. :biggrin:

I love poplars. Not being a tree. Not yet anyways. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

PoplarSoul wrote: May 15th, 2023, 8:03 pm I love poplars. Not being a tree. Not yet anyways. [icon_lol2.gif]
Just for you, here are some poplars at my family's place on the Chilcotin plateau. 3500 ft elevation. Picture taken in August.
ChilcotinPoplars.jpg
EDIT: here is another I took the summer of 2017 on their place.
poplars2.jpg
Note that these are technically Populus tremuloides. The common name is trembling aspen, but we often call them popular because they're in the poplar family.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Populus tremuloides. One of those somewhat useless Latin names I never forgot.

Pinus Contorta? Saw way too many of them.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Free sunscreen fights cancer

Remember, kids, if you have to pay for your sunscreen it'll give you cancer.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bigbacardi
Übergod

Post by Bigbacardi »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 16th, 2023, 3:08 pm Populus tremuloides. One of those somewhat useless Latin names I never forgot.

Pinus Contorta? Saw way too many of them.
Oplopanax horridus, another piece of Latin I shall never forget.....
Remember, you are unique......Just like everybody else...
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Bigbacardi wrote: May 25th, 2023, 12:06 pm Oplopanax horridus, another piece of Latin I shall never forget.....
Gawd awful stuff. The things would work their way into you, cause havoc, pustulate and then shoot back out. Alien like. :swear: :cuss:

Used to run into that sh.. a lot when marking boundaries for hydro lines. Some over 6-7 feet high. Tough stuff to put a blaze on.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... o-complete

OK, this one isn't a headline, but I think it should get "honorable" (or should that be dis-honorable) mention.

It involves the slide of silt and clay that slid down across Highway 97 into the lake at Summerland, last week.

When is a rockslide, not a rockslide ? When there are no rocks involved ????

"The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has begun work building a lock-block retaining wall in Summerland on Highway 97, after a rockslide closed the roadway earlier this month."

It's always bad form to contradict one's first sentence in an article in the second sentence in the article.

[2nd sentence] - "On Monday, May 15, a silt and clay bluff beside Highway 97 crashed down and covered all four lanes of the highway."

If the writer, Casey Richardson, wanted to use a generic term for the incident, I suggest "landslide" would be a good option, but calling a slide of silt and clay a "ROCKSLIDE" is poor even for Castanet.

There are certain common phrases that some writers of questionable ability use when they don't fit. Does a "slide" crash ?

Reminiscent of the news stories released when a private jet plunged from many thousand feet straight into the ground near Lake Country a number of years ago and was described as a "crash landing".
Last edited by my5cents on May 26th, 2023, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Clay is just rock that has been ground to a pulp. So still technically a rock slide.
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote: May 26th, 2023, 9:44 am Clay is just rock that has been ground to a pulp. So still technically a rock slide.
and snow is just frozen water, so an avalanche is really a waterfall.

"Man killed by waterfall, while skiing down mountain"

Got it :up:
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Grab Bag”