Keepingit4real
Fledgling

Re: Vernon to investigate solar infrastructure requirement on new builds

Post by Keepingit4real »

rustled wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:33 pm
Keepingit4real wrote: May 19th, 2023, 3:02 pm

So “green grants” are the problem?
https://natural-resources.canada.ca/ene ... rant/23441
IMO, yes, they are. They're more accessible to those with more, tilt the field inappropriately.
No EV credits for me as car was too much.
But plenty of eligible EV grants for the 50-70k car I think.
Again, that's helpful for people who can already afford those cars.
All tax payers are paying for programs.
From the people who don’t want to work and get “free money”
Or GST cheques,
The money comes from others.
Im happy to benefit from the tens of thousands i pay in taxes each year
If a program I am eligible is a fit.
Yes, I can see that anyone who pays taxes thinks "it's nice when there's a direct benefit to me" without really considering the implications and the bigger picture. Including what it costs us individually to have these programs in the first place (programs which benefit some of us at the expense of our neighbours who can't access these programs).

And from my perspective, our governments count on this type of thinking. It allows and encourages all levels of government to take more and more from all of us, with them deciding who gets what "benefit" from the pot.

As long as we believe there's some "benefit" to us individually, we don't think too hard on whether or not this program is a real benefit to the entire community - which is what the governments are supposed to be doing with the resources entrusted to them. "It's saving me money" clouds the issue of whether or not this is a sensible use of tax dollars. Or even whether or not there's a net benefit to us when we consider the growth in taxes we've paid compared to this particular benefit that we think happens to be in our favour.

It's how governments grow bigger, using our tax dollars depending on who's lobbying for what, and IMO it's not sustainable. It drives up unaffordability, providing ever greater opportunities for the governments to "help" us with affordability!
Ok ?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Catsumi wrote: May 19th, 2023, 7:00 pm Rustled said
It's how governments grow bigger, using our tax dollars depending on who's lobbying for what, and IMO it's not sustainable. It drives up unaffordability, providing ever greater opportunities for the governments to "help" us with affordability!
This is so true and the sooner people get it through their heads that every time we demand that the government should ‘take care of it’, they are only too glad to do so. It gives the govt more incentive to hire more flunkies that are indebted to them for the job. It also gives govt more reasons to tax us even more….so that they can ‘support’ those programs we have yelped for

Again, the worst sentence you can ever hear is “We’re here from the government, and we’re here to help YOU”.
Exactly.

One would hope Vernon investigating solar infrastructure requirements will entail much more than fuzzy, feel-good "thinking", much more than asking people on the street if it sounds like a good idea. Too many of these "requirements" sound good but only inflate costs and bloat bureaucracy, resulting in negative outcomes for residents.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
nicholas p
Fledgling

Post by nicholas p »

BC Landlord wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 6:43 pm
nicholas p wrote: Apr 23rd, 2023, 4:04 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/42 ... new-builds
Time for Vernon council to implement it as it will help in reducing green house gas effect
By how much would it reduce the "green house gas effect". Give us a number, please.
How do you calculate greenhouse gas emissions from kwh?
For electricity, the calculation will be 15,000kWh x 0.21233kgCO2e ÷ 1,000 = 3.2tCO2e. For natural gas, the calculation will be 20,000kWh x 0.18316kgCO2e ÷ 1,000 = 3.7tCO2e
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

nicholas p wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 5:12 pm
BC Landlord wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 6:43 pm
By how much would it reduce the "green house gas effect". Give us a number, please.
For electricity, the calculation will be 15,000kWh x 0.21233kgCO2e ÷ 1,000 = 3.2tCO2e. For natural gas, the calculation will be 20,000kWh x 0.18316kgCO2e ÷ 1,000 = 3.7tCO2e
Not sure about the accuracy of that, but that was not the question I asked. It was, how much would it reduce the effect of it? I.e. on climate! Try again.
nicholas p
Fledgling

Post by nicholas p »

BC Landlord wrote: May 24th, 2023, 8:36 am
nicholas p wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 5:12 pm

Not sure about the accuracy of that, but that was not the question I asked. It was, how much would it reduce the effect of it? I.e. on climate! Try again.
Even 0.1% difference is far better than 0.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

nicholas p wrote: Jun 17th, 2023, 9:05 am
BC Landlord wrote: May 24th, 2023, 8:36 am
Even 0.1% difference is far better than 0.
You don't have the number, do you? I don't blame you, nobody does, because it's all BS talk. Btw, you could also say, even 0.0001% is better than zero, but the real question here is whether it has any meaningful effect or not.

Return to “North Okanagan”