Cost to build a home in central Okanagan

Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Cost to build a home in central Okanagan

Post by Gilchy »

BC Landlord wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Then why are there limits on OSB purchases??
OSB is in high demand by businesses boarding up their store fronts. That's why.
It's not, and you know that.

Canada's housing starts are at record highs, and there is a construction boom going on. That requires much, much more lumber, plywood and OSB than boarding up a few blocks of storefronts in some cities.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^ It was a joke, man! :biggrin:
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

OSB is also not suitable for "boarding up" store fronts.
Bring back the LIKE button.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 27th, 2021, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

Hopefully lumber comes back down from the stratosphere
Last edited by t76turbo on Apr 28th, 2021, 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

Just waiting for the schoolie, tinie home and van build movement to catch on with every youngster out there. Less demand on lumber, more available rentals, easy life ....
Instagram and YouTube income, what could be more perfect than that?

Okanagan dirt has become so unaffordable, people need a different way at looking at life.
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

Thinking about replacing my fence this summer.

Looked at prices LOL NOPE.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lumber prices are up 232% and ‘could spiral out of control in the next few months
April 27, 2021 2:00 AM PDT

Last week the price per thousand board feet of lumber soared to an all-time high of $1,188, according to Random Lengths. Since the onset of the pandemic, lumber has shot up a whopping 232%.
Home builders and DIYers don't want to hear this, but the ceiling could be higher—maybe even a lot higher. On Monday, the May futures contract price per thousand board feet of two-by-fours jumped $48 to $1,420. That squeeze once again triggered the circuit breakers and caused lumber trading to halt for the day. Why would lumber yards and builders pay above market rates? Severe lumber scarcity has buyers on edge. They're buying the sky-high contracts in order to ensure they'll actually get the lumber they need for projects already under contract.
https://fortune.com/2021/04/27/lumber-p ... ew-months/
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Salganaza wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 11:52 pm Hey, thanks for sharing this eye-opening update on lumber prices!
Those are 2021 prices. Currently lumber is trading around $345.00 USD / 1000 bdft. However I suspect the retailers have not decreased the price of lumber accordingly.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

I’m doing mechanical work in custom homes in Kelowna. Big homes. Don’t do it. 2-3 years. *bleep* builders everywhere cutting corners now. I’m doing a hockey players house right now I can’t even believe what I’m seeing.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Salganaza wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 11:52 pm Hey, thanks for sharing this eye-opening update on lumber prices! It's crazy how they've skyrocketed by 232% since the pandemic hit. And it seems like things could get even worse in the coming months.
10 Yr lumber price to May 2023.jpg
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

In Vancouver, bureaucratic gatekeepers have added $640,000 in costs per unit of housing with DCC's, zoning, inspection, fees/fees/fees, etc.

Not sure what it is in the Central OK, but no doubt it's up there too.

Is it any wonder working families can't afford to build a home these days?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

Gone_Fishin wrote: May 24th, 2023, 10:28 am In Vancouver, bureaucratic gatekeepers have added $640,000 in costs per unit of housing with DCC's, zoning, inspection, fees/fees/fees, etc.

I raised my kids here as an apprentice in their teens. Now they have moved out and I am a jman. I can’t afford to even rent here.
LeroyJ
Fledgling

Post by LeroyJ »

Tankur wrote: May 24th, 2023, 3:14 pm
Gone_Fishin wrote: May 24th, 2023, 10:28 am In Vancouver, bureaucratic gatekeepers have added $640,000 in costs per unit of housing with DCC's, zoning, inspection, fees/fees/fees, etc.

I raised my kids here as an apprentice in their teens. Now they have moved out and I am a jman. I can’t afford to even rent here.
Many of the boomers on this board would have you believe this is because you spend too much on fancy coffees, nice clothes, and a cell phone. They'll say you need to stop feeling so entitled and just need to work harder and save like they did.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

LeroyJ wrote: May 24th, 2023, 3:36 pm
Tankur wrote: May 24th, 2023, 3:14 pm

Many of the boomers on this board would have you believe this is because you spend too much on fancy coffees, nice clothes, and a cell phone. They'll say you need to stop feeling so entitled and just need to work harder and save like they did.
And motorcycles as well. :biggrin:

You're a wise man LeroyJ.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Central Okanagan”