B.C.'s minimum wage to be increased to $16.75 per hour

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: B.C.'s minimum wage to be increased to $16.75 per hour

Post by GordonH »

puterbrother wrote: May 12th, 2023, 7:24 pm Holy Crap ! They are only .25 cents away from the wage I fought for last year at my job.Isn't it wonderful to work for a company with a board of directors who control how much you get paid.Not based on what you are worth but how much they save by denying your deserved raise.All this after 15 years of service.When temps are hired at 16.75 and I have to cover for them when they do a *bleep* job ! Wow...time to check the want ads !
Maybe should look into Warehouse jobs on Indeed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along now.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... bankruptcy
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Pubs/bars that own their own property I suspect will weather financial issues better. The ones at the mercy of leases, maybe not so much.

Regardless, many people do count on the food industry for a living and may be out of a job before long. On the other note, maybe the successful pubs/restaurants will hire them if there is such a shortage.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

seewood wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:57 am Pubs/bars that own their own property I suspect will weather financial issues better. The ones at the mercy of leases, maybe not so much.
Then, they would have to pay property taxes, and whatever else the City throws at them as owners. Commercial taxes are usually much higher than residential.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

seewood wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:57 am Pubs/bars that own their own property I suspect will weather financial issues better. The ones at the mercy of leases, maybe not so much.

Regardless, many people do count on the food industry for a living and may be out of a job before long. On the other note, maybe the successful pubs/restaurants will hire them if there is such a shortage.
But it is better than having some landlord saying your lease has expired and go somewhere else. This has happened many times in Kelowna, the last ones being C-Lovers and 88 Grand Buffet.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

TimmyE wrote: May 25th, 2023, 2:24 pm

But it is better than having some landlord saying your lease has expired and go somewhere else. This has happened many times in Kelowna, the last ones being C-Lovers and 88 Grand Buffet.
Those are unique circumstances as the property owners want to tear down the strip mall and build apartments/condos on the property and parking lot . Those are the same ones that messed with taco time and forced them out because Starbucks wanted the space
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

69cutlass wrote: May 26th, 2023, 6:25 am
TimmyE wrote: May 25th, 2023, 2:24 pm

Those are unique circumstances as the property owners want to tear down the strip mall and build apartments/condos on the property and parking lot . Those are the same ones that messed with taco time and forced them out because Starbucks wanted the space
Here is a link to the plan https://www.revelstokereview.com/news/m ... th-centre/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

GordonH wrote: May 26th, 2023, 6:44 am

Here is a link to the plan https://www.revelstokereview.com/news/m ... th-centre/
:up:
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

The biggest question is how this housing complex is going to be managed. Wherever governments get involved, either by subsidizing it, or managing, it inevitably turns into slums.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

BC Landlord wrote: May 27th, 2023, 4:54 pm

The biggest question is how this housing complex is going to be managed. Wherever governments get involved, either by subsidizing it, or managing, it inevitably turns into slums.
Proposal was submitted by Peterson Developments of Vancouver.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: May 27th, 2023, 5:03 pm
BC Landlord wrote: May 27th, 2023, 4:54 pm
I have no ideas who "Peterson Developments" is, but if they get subsidized, it will turn ugly, no doubts in my mind.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

BC Landlord wrote: May 27th, 2023, 6:19 pm
GordonH wrote: May 27th, 2023, 5:03 pm

I have no ideas who "Peterson Developments" is, but if they get subsidized, it will turn ugly, no doubts in my mind.
BC Landlord it’s called using a search engine you should try it sometime.
https://petersonbc.com/
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: May 27th, 2023, 6:46 pm
BC Landlord wrote: May 27th, 2023, 6:19 pm
BC Landlord it’s called using a search engine you should try it sometime.
https://petersonbc.com/
I am not questioning their existence. Just their purpose in this deal.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

Why is it so important for us to have the highest minimum wage in Canada? Also, this wage does not only affect 150,000 workers. It affects the entire wage structure. The day of the $25 burger is coming sooner than expected.
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

TimmyE wrote: May 29th, 2023, 9:38 am Why is it so important for us to have the highest minimum wage in Canada? Also, this wage does not only affect 150,000 workers. It affects the entire wage structure. The day of the $25 burger is coming sooner than expected.
it's already here, burgers are already close to $25 BNA here in Kelowna is offering a burger under $20 but they made a deal ( excellent business decision) with a beef supplier here in BC where they can buy the beef cheaper. Other rest/pubs should follow suit, find a deal with a supplier here and offer a bit lower prices and your place will be packed :up:

and BC has the highest min wage because we have high cost of living here, you will never be able to convince people to work dirt cheap and still pay high shelter/living costs just like we're seeing right now, there's a place in penticton offering $20 per hr for a dishwasher. Know a Company here in town who was forced to increase their tradespersons wages by $7 an hr, why ? because another large company started up here and they are offering those high wages, with full benefits and RSSP contributions, it's the "market rate" for wages now

Return to “B.C.”