ferri
Forum Administrator

Rosalind Neis - Council Candidate

Post by ferri »

Neis not running for mayor
by Wayne Moore - Story: 41385
Aug 25, 2008 / 5:30 pm

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#41385

Rosalind Neis will not seek a second term as mayor of Westside.

The rookie politician, who took a year off from her job as an operating room nurse, at Kelowna General Hospital, says she is stepping away to spend more time with her family.

"In the course of making this decision, I thought long and hard about what I brought(and what I did not bring) to the Mayor's office. I took into consideration my family, the many people that have supported me, those that have encouraged me and those that asked me to continue to represent the citizens of this community," Neis says in a prepared statement.

"As I consider the positives regarding a second term as mayor, I find 28,000 reasons to continue. That being said, when I consider my family, I find many reasons to return to nursing."

Neis says she loves nursing. She says it provides her with stability from both a financial and family point of view.

While she won't seek a second term as mayor, Neis says she hopes to stay on as a councillor.

"Given that the position of councillor would allow me to continue to represent people on the Westside, apply the knowledge that I have gained over the past year, and at the same time, allow me to return to a part-time position at KGH, I feel that this would be the best way to balance the needs of my family and those of the 28,000 people on the Westside."

Regarding her legacy as Westside's first mayor, Neis believes six points bare noting:

On inauguration day, December 6th last year, I was a complete political novice. I had very little knowledge about civic governance and I had no aspirations to make politics my sole profession. However, I am proud of what I brought to the Mayor’s role which I feel included: common sense, a commitment to work hard and learn, and a desire to provide the best possible governance for the people of the Westside.

I hoped that the Westside would amalgamate with Kelowna and for all of us to enjoy the benefits that would befall B.C.’s 5th largest city but, based on the results of the November election, I knew that amalgamation was impossible at this time. Therefore, I have kept the promise I delivered in my inaugural address and I have never wasted any of our staff work time or any of our Council meeting time discussing the amalgamation issue.

As your Mayor, I wanted to listen closely and respond to all of your comments and try to balance each individual’s desires with our city’s needs and with our city’s ability to pay. I believe I have done that.

I have brought forth a number of new ideas for our city to consider. I have strived to provide good leadership and work harmoniously with all councillors to create an effective city council.

My consideration of the many municipal issues brought before council has not been based on political expediency or personal bias but rather I have attempted to examine each issue carefully and dispassionately and make decisions based on what I thought would be best for the community as a whole and for the future of this area.

I am extremely pleased with the work our municipal staff has done in getting this city organized and started on its way to be a place where people will hopefully want to live, work and play. Their work ethic has been exceptional!

To date, only current Councillor, Doug Findlater has indicated he will seek the mayor's chair.

Westside residents go to the polls to elect a new mayor and council November 15.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Neis stepping down as mayor

Post by Urbane »

An interesting development. I had a feeling that she wouldn't be running for mayor but I didn't think she would run for council. Now we'll have to see who, if anyone, challenges Doug Findlater for mayor. I wonder if there's another "join Kelowna" candidate in the wings or will we be able to have a contest about Westside issues?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Urbane wrote:...will we be able to have a contest about Westside issues?

I think you do, now.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

writerdave wrote:I think you do, now.
Indeed!
T. Rawlin
Fledgling

Post by T. Rawlin »

Too bad Castanet cannot tell the difference between stepping down (resigning or abdicating), and choosing to not run again, as their headline is incorrect - she is serving out her term.

So I wonder who Mandarino will try to convince to run for Mayor this time? :ohmygod: I bet that MM found out, to her dismay, that Neis wasn't the puppet MM hoped she would be. We should see if maby, or parachute, or whoever, can shed some light on that question :dyinglaughing:

Over the past year, Neis showed common sense, and a sense of responsibility towards the entire electorate that was unexpected, to say the least. She is a little too hard on herself in her full press release, where she wrote "Yes. I have chosen the selfish path by putting my family and my personal life foremost, but at this point in my life with young children I believe I am making the tight decision."

I don't think that is selfish of her in any way. It is sensible. The only place I expect to see any selfishness over her choice is in the people who expect others to keep making the type of sacrifices that she has made in the past year.

Congrats Mayor Neis. You certainly weren't my first choice for Mayor, but you've done well, all things considered.
Honda59
Fledgling

Post by Honda59 »

Seeing what can be achieved, I wonder what Neis' thoughts are on joining Kelowna now. I would hope that she now sees the benefits more clearly and Kelowna can continue on their own path of destruction.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Could someone please fill me in on this Mandarino character? I take it we are talking about a moneyed character whom loves to have all strings running into his palms? Right, wrong?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

That would be Mary Mandarino, one of four pro-amalgamation candidates in last November's election. She lost but vowed to fight on by getting signatures on a petition basically demanding a revisit to the whole amalgamation-with-Kelowna thing.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Thanks, WD. Petitions are good, methinks, but one that may hold sway over others due to position or title can serve no benefit to the whole.
I think Mayor Neis has done a marvellous job at remaining objective throughout her tenure, and hope that there will be a time and place for her to blossom in minor politics.
mott.hoople
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mott.hoople »

Honda59 wrote:Seeing what can be achieved, I wonder what Neis' thoughts are on joining Kelowna now. I would hope that she now sees the benefits more clearly and Kelowna can continue on their own path of destruction.

Shepard and clan are on a course of self destruct. I never liked Neis's thoughts on joining the Forbidden City - hence I did not trust her.

But I do admire her wisdom to know that politics is an ugly game. And also must compliment her on going back to nursing - we all know we need more.

All the best to her and her family.
These high thread count sheets feel amazing on my naked skin. Oh Oh... Here comes the Zellers manager. I wonder what she wants?
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

T. Rawlin wrote:Too bad Castanet cannot tell the difference between stepping down (resigning or abdicating), and choosing to not run again, as their headline is incorrect - she is serving out her term.

You're talking about Castanet here. Don't hold your standards too high and you won't be disappointed.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

I agree with T.Rawlin; announcing you will not be seeking re-election and “stepping down” are two very different things.

Personally I thought in spite of running on an amalgamation slate; Neis did a good job of respecting the slight democratic majority to create a new Westside.

I suspect that once she discovered what a huge amount of work is involved in being mayor; complete with some of the negative comments I suspect she really questioned if it was worth the cut in pay she took and time away from her family. I think she has chosen wisely.

Next time you hear discussions about elected officials (No I am not talking about bureaucrats ) remember people like Rosalind Neis. It’s pretty hard to step away from her job at the hospital; take a cut in pay; loose some pension benefits and still raise a family.

Just my .02 however it was nice to see what I consider to be a “real person” in elected office for a change and I wish Rosalind all the best.
Back with a vengeance
wickedwoob

Post by wickedwoob »

I would like to know how the people that voted for Rosalind Neis feel about her abandoning the amalgamation platform once she was elected???? Isn't this the ONLY reason that this woman was elected in the first place????? :ohmygod:

As for her stepping "down" as Mayor, that would mean she is resigning as was mentioned in an earlier post, I wonder who's words those were. Sounds like she darn well knows she doesn't stand a snowball's chance in H*#* of being re-elected as mayor so she is saving herself the time, $, and embarrassment of running again.

I have brought forth a number of new ideas for our city to consider. I have strived to provide good leadership and work harmoniously with all councillors to create an effective city council.
As for this statement, I do recall several of her "ideas" being shot down by council.

I applaud Doug Findlater for wanting to take on the job, and I sure hope that if and when election day comes we keep any "pro-amalgamation" people out of office. It only serves to divide our council, and stall important issues facing our community. I think our current Mayor and council have proven that even though many of the pro-amalgamation individuals were elected it did nothing to hinder the natural progression of things, and for the people that voted for them, they are the ones that were duped as the whole platform was dropped immediately after the election! :nyah: Hopefully all have learned from this whole process. At least Rosalind didn't sabotage our new city, thanks for that.
Honda59
Fledgling

Post by Honda59 »

wickedwoob wrote:Sounds like she darn well knows she doesn't stand a snowball's chance in H*#* of being re-elected as mayor so she is saving herself the time, $, and embarrassment of running again.

I wouldn't say that. Although I did not initially support her in our first election, she has done a remarkable job and cudos to her for staying on course.
johnhenry
Übergod

Post by johnhenry »

I was kinda hoping Rosalind would run for Mayor in Kelowna. I don't know how she can represent a bunch of negative, hateful people. She listened to what the "majority" said about joining Kelowna and changed her course so that she could serve the people as they wanted, to the best of her ability. Honest women like her are few and far between. I won't be surprised if she moves to Kelowna in the future.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.

Return to “Westside”