Dan Albas - Council Candidate

Dan Albas

Dan Albas - Council Candidate

Post by Dan Albas »

Hello everyone,

My name is Dan Albas and I am running in the upcoming election for the position of councillor. Since I am formally announcing my run at the steps of Penticton City Hall Tuesday September 2nd at 6:45 PM (just before the council meeting) this means Casta Net has gotten the scoop early. I would like to invite any Casta Net forum users, friends and family members to come.

I will be outlining some of my background, reasons for running and also some ideas that I would like to work toward if elected.

I will also be open to taking questions from the public.

My website is http://www.danalbas.com, if you are interested, please take a peek.

If any forum members have questions, you could post here or email me direct at [email protected]

Thank you!

sincerely,

Dan Albas
Candidate for Penticton City Council
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Penticton Election Candidates: Dan Albas

Post by fluffy »

Hello Dan,

What do you feel are the more important issues that council should be dealing with in the coming term?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Dear Fluffy,

Thanks for asking. Please see my answer below as I feel it answers your question better.
Thanks DA
Last edited by Dan Albas on Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Dear Fluffy,

Thanks for asking.

I have 5 priorites that I will work toward if elected:

1. Eliminate wasteful spending- in other words, don't spend what we can't afford.
2. Bring back regular town hall meetings so that ordinary citizens stay connected with the political process.
3. Create a long term action plan for Penticton. An example of this would be Whistler's 2020 action plan.
4. Cut unproductive red tape at city hall.
5. Work towards strong anti panhandling by-laws that are enforced.

Many people feel we are spending more than we can afford. Also they feel disconnected with the political process and with the direction of the city. Business people and developers say that when you talk about permits, you don't speak in days and weeks, but months and years. Many seniors, moms with kids and tourist don't feel as safe as they might use to in Penticton.

Please let me know if can elaborate more for you or for any other interested forum participant.

Thanks!

Dan Albas

P.S. I have also posted some videos on my website http://www.danalbas.com, that explain some of my positions on some of these issues. I would encourage people to take a look.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

An open invitation to all Castanet.net forum participants:

You have been invited to a “meet the candidate” coffee party this Wednesday September 24th from 6:30-8:00 PM at the Can Coffee Co. at 1475 Fairview Road.

Local candidate Dan Albas will be unveiling his small business platform and take questions from the general public. This is a great opportunity to introduce yourself to Dan and let him know your ideas regarding small business or more general concerns for the city.

Coffee will be served courtesy of the Can Coffee Co. and you are encouraged to forward this invitation to an interested friend, family member or co-worker- the more the merrier.

Please kindly let us know if you are able to attend by emailing [email protected] or call (250) 486-2199. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

sincerely,

The Elect Dan Albas Campaign Team
#304- 1475 Fairview Road, Penticton BC
V2A 7W5 (250) 486-2199 [email protected]
http://www.danalbas.com

p.s. the more the merrier- please forward this invitation to your contact list!

p. p.s. Click here to see Dan's video http://www.danalbas.com/dan_intro_1.php
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

May the panhandling voters of the community come for coffee as well?
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Hi everyone,

I thought that it might be helpful to follow up with this forum with my small business platform. This platform wasn't formed by accident but rather by experience. As a business owner in Penticton (Premier Martial Arts) and as a former director of the Penticton and Wine Country Chamber of Commerce, many of these ideas are ways and means of helping small business thrive in Penticton.

Dan's Small Business Platform

City Hall can do a lot to encourage small business if it will get out of the way. When elected, I will work hard to keep Penticton Business working, starting with:

Establish an independent blue ribbon panel within 90 days to audit and report on the city’s financial status.

Creation of a value for money committee: review audit, make recommendations to council as to where the city is getting good value for money. Congratulate departments and individuals who show thrift and good stewardship of funds and resources.

Within 90 days create a red tape roundtable forum and invite the business community and city staff to participate and submit recommendations.

Expedited process for light renovations for businesses and residents

Work with city staff and the Downtown Penticton Association to ensure that we have strong anti- panhandling bylaws that are enforced.

Thanks for your attention. Please forward me any questions or concerns you might have.

sincerely,

Dan Albas
Candidate, Penticton City Council Election 2008

Click here to see Dan's video http://www.danalbas.com/dan_intro_1.php
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You have mentioned panhandling as an issue important to you a number of times. If one were to look at panhandling as a symptom of deeper issues such as homelessness and poverty, what do you feel the city's role should be in this area?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Great question.

A city the size of Penticton neither has the financial resources nor expertise to help those you speak of who are need of particular services such as emergency shelter or drug/ alcohol treatment. Partnering with the provincial government or with appropriate non profit societies and to know how to connect with those resources would be a helpful and meaningful role for the city. I see that as a means of ensuring that those who need the help can access it, as some may be unaware or unable to access it for themselves.

Dan Albas
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Preview: Re: Penticton Elections
Join us at the Meet the Candidates for the Upcoming Municipal Election

The public is invited to attend the Municipal All Candidates Forum October 28, 29 & 30, 2008.

Sponsored by the South Okanagan Similkameen Conservation Program.

Penticton Trade & Convention Centre to meet and hear the views of the Mayoral, City Council and School Board Trustee Candidates for the upcoming municipal election over the course of three evenings:

Tuesday, October 28 - School Board Trustee

Wednesday, October 29 - City Council

Thursday, October 30 - Mayoral

Where & When
Penticton Trade & Convention Centre

273 Power Street
Penticton, BC

October 28, 29 & 30

All forums 7 - 9 pm

For more information, please contact the Chamber offices at 250-492-4103.

Don't forget to vote on Saturday, November 15th!
rmillard

Re: Dan Albas - Council Candidate

Post by rmillard »

Dan,

Thank you for running for council. While I have not yet decided who I will be voting for, it's great to have so many people running because I feel that we need some new ideas on council.

I have a couple questions for you.

1. What is your view on (property) tax increases? Have the past increases been necessary? Is there any way that these could be lowered, or would this not be advisable (if so, please explain).

2. Do you support the existing property tax exemption for churches? (I heard a rumor that this was an issue with some candidates.)

Thank you for your responses.

Richard
Penticton
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Hi Richard,

Thanks for asking. Regarding your question of property taxes: I believe that we are over taxed. A recent report put out by the Canadian Federation of Independent business found that Penticton has the second highest taxes per capita (every man, woman and child) in BC! Using City of Penticton's own numbers that were given to the provincial government, only West Vancouver had a higher per capita. Most cities close to our size collect between a $1000 - 1100 per person; Penticton came in at $1656! Many of those communities are offering much of the same services- at a lower price.

We need to change our thinking on spending priorities at city hall. We cannot spend what we can't afford during these economically challenging times. Ordinary people are getting crunched by higher energy, food and gas costs at the same time seeing their pension or investment portfolio shrink.

As to your question as to if they could be lowered, here are a couple of new ideas, some by me, some by other candidates- I think they should all be looked at:

I have proposed that we have an independent blue ribbon panel review the city's financial position and make recommendations based on the results.

I have also suggested that the city start a "Value for money" advisory committee that can review each department, speak with front line staff as to how the city can get more efficient at service delivery. It would also spotlight and congratulate those who have shown that they are pro actively finding ways to get more done with less.

A former Mayor and fellow councillor candidate Mike Pearce has suggested the city seriously look at zero based budgeting. The idea is to ask each department to supply a budget that is made up of needs, priorities and projects rather than to ask for the same budget plus inflation year after year.

As to your second question, were previous tax increases necessary- that is much harder to judge as I was not at the decision making table. What I can currently speak to is that the City cannot continue to increase spending, especially during a possible economic downturn. The Federal and Provincial governments have been very proactive on this; now is the time to be reducing taxes and encouraging economic activity and not chasing it way. As I mentioned earlier, people's disposible income is being gobbled up by rising energy, food and gas prices- all of which are outside governments ability to control effectively. The city should tighten its belt, just like many pensioners and families and focus on priorities.

As to your third question, do I support exemptions for churches and other exempted not for profit socities? The short answer -yes. These organizations provide a myriad of social support structures, the Salvation Army being a good example. They do so without being asked and in many cases with little or no government funding- that means a better quality of life for more Pentictonites and at less cost. But I am not in favour of exemptions for specific not for profit socities that have areas or sublets that directly compete with other businesses. I believe in a fair playing field and if a group is consistantly, day in and out competing with other for profit groups,then on principle the city should not exempt that square footage.

I hope that I have been clear and have answered all of your questions to your satisfaction. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance, as I believe a good councillor should be accessible and responsive to those they wish to represent.
sincerely,

Dan Albas

Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Dan, kudos for your participation on this board. The candidates who are taking the time to join in the conversation are the ones who, in my mind, are really clued into today's voter. :smt038
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

I agree. I am baffled about the lack of interest that most candidates have with the forum.

That said, I couldn't say whether or not they are all aware of the forum.

I am personally trying to research candidates and figure out who I am going to vote for.

I'm sure I'm not the only newcomer to Penticton that could use some help in determining candidates.

Dan, I appreciate you taking the time.

I like your platform. I am a little on the fence about the panhandling issue. I personally have no issue with homeless people as long as they abide by the law. Panhandling is usually done by homeless. I don't have a problem with someone panhandling per se, but I don't like it if they are agressive or rude...if you don't chuck in any change.

As for street entertainers, possibly look into how Kelowna does their "busker" program. The argument for these people is that they can't afford a busker license from the city. Personally I know they can. If they have any talent and spend the day entertaining, they make good money. I don't want to run them off, but if I have to pay for a license for how I make my money, then they can put out for one too. They don't all have to be the same price...
Last edited by onestop67 on Oct 24th, 2008, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Dear Onestop67,

Thanks for the kind words and comment. After reading your post a few times (the whole election process can wear on one a bit :) ), I think it prudent to clarify my commitment to work hard on ensuring our panhandling bylaws are enforced. First I would like to say I have no axe to grind against those down on their luck (or anyone for that matter). I am the past chair of the Penticton Housing Coalition and the 2007 United Way Campaign Chair. I have worked hard to raise awareness (and funding) for many local social programs and services.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I believe that local government should be working with other levels of government. Since many people who may panhandle end up in the downtown, we can do a lot more to ensure those who want help can access it. Since city by law officers are downtown on parking related business (ticketing, collecting etc.) they can act as first contacts to help people who are in need of service agency/ provincial/ federal assistance and programs. You would be suprised how helpful this can be as many people are just unaware that there IS help available, if you know or are informed on where to go for it.

As to busking, that is quite different than aggressive panhandling. I think that we should look at a busking license and see if it would helpful- so good suggestion. I also believe that if a person steps out of line with our bylaws, we should enforce them in a very fair but orderly way.

I hope this clairifies my postion. As to the comment on why many of the candidates may or may not participate in this forum- let's not be too hasty to judge. Many of them run businesses and are committed community builders. I believe that they will all be at the community forums next week. If you are specifically looking for a response, I would suggest looking them up in the phone book or if possible, email them.

Lastly, I want to suggest that we are all going to be disappointed in some way, shape or form with candidates as there is no "perfect" candidate. But I believe the immortal words of former New York Mayor Ed Koch would be helpful here:

"Agree with me on six out of twleve issues, then vote for me. Agree with me nine out of twleve, I suggest you volunteer for me. However if you agree with me twelve out of twelve, seek psychiatric help!"

I know that we may not agree on every policy, but I am willing to listen and to be reasonable with you or anyone whom I will work for or with.

sincerely,

Dan Albas

Return to “Penticton”