Kelowna Mayoral - General Discussion

FunkyBunch
Übergod

Re: Who is going to run against Sharon Shepherd?

Post by FunkyBunch »

This election will be an important one, and I will definitely give the council idea some more thought.
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

Don't use school trustee as a stepping stone into politics. If city council is where your heart is, that's where you should be. By doing this, both the Board of Education and City Council will get people who are committed to the respected positions and responsibilities... hopefully for more than one term.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

It wasn't until you said I should run for school trustee that I even really gave it(politics in general) serious thought. At first I thought I could give something back to the school system as a trustee. Then as I thought about it some more, I thought I may make a better councilor. It's been a busy few days :eyeballspin:

I do agree that a one-term trustee or councilor wouldn't do anyone very much good. I wouldn't do either for only a single term. Things need to get done, and it would take most of a term to just get started.

The city seems to be in need of some new blood, and some new perspectives. Someone with a little more citizen-like perspective. Someone who can actually see from a regular citizens point-of-view. It's not that council doesn't need business owners or pro-development people as councilors, but it needs some balance with respect to perspective. I want to be the hand of the citizens in council, the voice of the citizens. Sadly it seems, we, the citizens, are sometimes the least cared about resource this city has.

I won't give any proposal, be it by a developer or city staff, a free ride through council. It has to be good for Kelowna.

The more I think about the upcoming election, and the more I post/read about what I see in council and city hall, and think about what I would do/ask, the more convinced I become that council is where I'd like to shake things up.

If I end up as a councilor, I'm going to really owe it CarMa. She planted the seed in my head, and it keeps growing.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Did I break the Election Forum? :runforlife:
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

...just waiting for you to bloom, FunkyBunch. :sunshine:
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

For those who wonder who Milroy is, he is the CEO of Westcorp the company that supposedly works with the city to redevelop downtown Kelowna and build those 4 towers. He has also purchased the Hiawatha mobile home retirement park for development of 3 more towers plus condos and subsequently devalued the homes of the residents as they can no longer sell for fair market value. He now gives those residents that want to sell a devalued amount for their homes. He is an Edmontonian, and has been for a very long time. But has purchased a house in Kelowna a short while ago and although his business is still located in Edmonton (he did open a small office in Kelowna) and will stay there, calls himself now a Kelownian. He does not need to run for mayor.
2by4angel
Fledgling

Post by 2by4angel »

:dyinglaughing: FunkyBunch!.....I'll help water the seed a little

Go for it FunkyBunch!
...You have some great ideas and thoughts and City Council as well as the public would be lucky to have you on Board!
You may be young but you'd have my full support!

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: ....4 Cheers for FunkyBunch!
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

What citizens need to do is make sure everyone knows a new developement is Milroys and demand the city not proceed. If people fill city hall everytime this guy applies he would get the message he
is not welcome here. If he can't be stopped at least he could be slowed down and that costs money.
What tics me is people come in here buy up land and develope without consideration for the folks
who live here, whether its five years or fifty five years. They change everything, they leave huge
traffic, transit, and all kinds of infastructure problems and then sack up their money and leave.
City officials applaud and pat them on the back for developing another high rise or whatever because it looks good, and of course city council doesn't care they just pass the costs on to you and I.
We need developement, true, but we need it done in a way that is efficient and continues the order of things, not the current policy of build it and worry about all the other problems later
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

We need good development, I agree. All potential logistical and infrastructure problems need to be thought out in advance, and then if all potential issues have been dealt with, should a development proceed.

And that is why I will run this year.
2by4angel
Fledgling

Post by 2by4angel »

:130: :130: :130: FUNKYBUNCH

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave:
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Alright FunkyBunch :discodance:

Does this mean your castanet cheerleaders :cheerleader: get a direct line to your office> :smt047

Seriously though, best of luck to you. :smt023
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

I'm on here enough, if people have a problem with what's going on, they'll be able to tell me.

Further, I will try and explain my decisions on here also. That way, those decisions that don't make the news, or aren't well attended, will still be here for all to see.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Can we call you Councillor Funky?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Let's not carve the turkey before it's in the oven.

I will do my best in the upcoming race, and once I've put my papers in at city hall I'll give you all a heads up. (I'm picking them up tomorrow).
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?
Whats the ballot gonna say?
I swear some people slipped into the gene pool that had no lifEguard.

Return to “Kelowna”