Mark Johnson - Council Candidate

FunkyBunch
Übergod

Mark Johnson - Council Candidate

Post by FunkyBunch »

As per my previous post:
edited slightly
My platform would/will be something like:

1)Accountability-I want to see exactly what goes on in the inner workings of city hall and the municipality and eliminate any wastes. I want to make city staffers accountable for the proposals they set forward. There needs to be a comprehensive review of what is actually being done. Make sure all projects and developments have a benefit to the community. Ensure staff objections/changes are relevant and good for the city of Kelowna.

2)Go slightly greener-I want to see if it's feasible to expand business recycling to include all the things the city already picks up and disposes of from individuals. eg-plastics, glass etc. without too much added cost.

3)Invest in housing for average people-Some of the money the city takes in, I would like to put into city developed projects for cheap-ish housing (maybe passing along a slight fee for developers/businesses). There would be a qualification required and wait lists generated.

4)Lobby the provincial government (read become their pain in the *bleep*) for improved Hwys (Okanagan Bypass anyone?) until it happens or we get a plan in place to remove traffic from HWY 97.

5)Make the Mayor and council accountable for their actions/votes. No two-facing allowed.

Things I've added/thought about since then:

6)Try and expand transit so we have buses going to where people need them, and increase service so we can take some cars off the road. Work at developing some bus lanes, so buses get priority during busy travel times.

7)Ease pedestrian travel: Try and incorporate some pedestrian overpasses along busy areas, so as to not interrupt traffic flow. If they can do it in Japan, why not here? Also make an increased green space commitment, so walking is more pleasant. Find out where additional sidewalks are needed, and get rid of gravel shoulders on busy roads so Rollerbladers, bikers and walkers don't have to worry so much about rocks.

If you have question about me or think I should add something to my list of priorities for city hall, please reply or email me.

My email: [email protected]
BoB76
Guru

Re: Mark Johnson (aka FunkyBunch) for Kelowna Councilor

Post by BoB76 »

Maybe I will vote for you.....maybe I will run against you. Worried??? lol. Will you get something done about the speeders on Springfield so Struts can finally get some sleep??

Good luck to you.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
daedalus
Board Meister

Post by daedalus »

Congrats on you for running.

What are your opinions on some of the serious issues that affect Kelowna? What do you think are the serious issues?

5)Make the Mayor and council accountable for their actions/votes. No two-facing allowed.

So no meetings behind closed doors where the way people voted are kept secret?
Penguin avatar: http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1816/penguinsnc5.gif
The poor penguin gets revenge: http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/13/penguin_revenge.gif
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

daedalus wrote:Congrats on you for running.

What are your opinions on some of the serious issues that affect Kelowna? What do you think are the serious issues?

So no meetings behind closed doors where the way people voted are kept secret?

First the question about the accountability. In-camera meetings may be necessary and a united front on divisive issues is important. I don't want to see an in-camera meeting decision be made known specifically for the purposes of an election.

Furthermore, when someone says in their campaign they're going to do something, then do the opposite for 3 years, until right before the election, and then decide to campaign on the same promise again, should be made public in a loud manner. It isn't acceptable that they be allowed to get away with it and blame the rest of council right before an election. If someone says one thing publicly and then votes a way that doesn't seem to be consistent, they should have to explain themselves to the citizens of Kelowna and their peers.

The main issues affecting Kelowna, in my eyes:

1)Developments not meeting the needs of the regular citizens of Kelowna

For one example, there is going to be a large new apartment/condo complex that eats up downtown lakefront property and the prices make it impossible for regular citizens to even buy). I want balanced development, some for "Luxury", and some for regular people, and low-income development (using both public and private sector funding). Most developments that I've seen recently are all of the "Luxury" type and don't benefit the regular citizens of Kelowna at all.

2)Transit

The transit system we have right now, is laughable at best. Especially considering the expected growth of the city, we need to develop rapid transit infrastructure (or at the very least a plan!) and vastly improve our current transit service. When the 2 major transit stations are downtown and the mall, something needs to be reworked. Large-scale developments should require an investment in our transit system. This shouldn't always be a city problem.

3)Fun

Over the past few years, the city has lost many important private festivities and events. We need to work with event organizers to ensure proper security, but we need to bring in MORE of them, not get rid of them. When the largest festivity of the year is a bridge replacement, something needs to change. Further, to entice some of these events, it shouldn't be unheard of for the city to invest in them for the first few years. Public Parks, trails, etc should also be a priority.

I realize these are all "long-term" problems, and the results won't be overnight.

The Simpson Covenant, while I agree it should have been left alone and not tried to be erased, shouldn't be a driving force of this election.

PS-I am currently working on my Press Release, which is why you haven't yet seen my picture.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Where do you stand on the Shepherd's Pro-Life Proclamation? Your answer will determine whether or not I vote for you.
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

I don't agree that abortion matters (and a string of other personal matters)belong in municipal politics. Speaking your mind on how you feel about abortion is one thing, but signing a Proclamation on behalf of Kelowna, is not acceptable.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Thanks for your answer! :)
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Anytime.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

And a good answer it was.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

2)Go slightly greener-I want to see if it's feasible to expand business recycling to include all the things the city already picks up and disposes of from individuals. eg-plastics, glass etc. without too much added cost.

One thing I'd suggest is to check out our city's print shops. I've worked in a few and the miscopied/jammed/flawed paper was tossed in the garbage with zero recycling happening.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Putting paper in the garbage is illegal or at least a fine-able offense IIRC.

It would probably be easier to promote business recycling if it was a city program instead of voluntary. And that's one thing I want to try and see if it's feasible if I get elected.

My biggest "potential" is the one I find hardest to verbalize, but I will try.

I HATE waste. I don't care if the waste is time, money, resources, recycling, garbage etc. If I see it I do my best to change it. I would like to study and implement a stream-lined city hall and services. I am well aware there is a re-organization at city hall happening, but until it is completed and there is a process in place for continual stream-lining, there will be wasted money and wasted resources. The amount of money that can be saved by re-organization can be staggering depending on how much is being wasted.

Further, you can never achieve a perfect stream-lining of processes as there is always room for improvement, so there is always room to save money and use it for other things. Like better transit, affordable housing etc.
sue_every1

Post by sue_every1 »

iphtheme wrote:Where do you stand on the Shepherd's Pro-Life Proclamation? Your answer will determine whether or not I vote for you.

Interesting question.... maybe the reason there are so many 1-issue candidates is because of the huge amount of 1-issue VOTERS!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.... but is it informed?
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

sue_every1 wrote:
iphtheme wrote:Where do you stand on the Shepherd's Pro-Life Proclamation? Your answer will determine whether or not I vote for you.

Interesting question.... maybe the reason there are so many 1-issue candidates is because of the huge amount of 1-issue VOTERS!

I'm not a one issue voter, but I will evaluate a candidate based on his/her views on certain subjects.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

Wish you luck, you'll need it. First there are certain rules that have to be met like in camera and so
on. The other thing you have to be careful of is telling everything you know, as the nature of the beast would be to tell you nothing.
Housing for the poor, sure I agree up to a point, we must concentrate on people who really want
help, as there are some beyond it.
I agree that the city staff and councillors must be more responsive to the electorate. At present they hold these little public revieve sessions and take the input from you and I. The whole thing is
in fact a sham, they have already decided the outcome of a public hearing. Oh I know they claim its not so, however the public hearing is a formality and they say, now now, you had your say so go
away and don't bother us.
The other thing you don't want is a review of everything. The reason, is because the overall cost of a full review becomes more expensive than the money you save. The ideal way to deal with this would be, to review, issues as they come up. That way the important issues are dealt with as they
are at the hight of their profile. Overall, some good ideas and I will consider you, along with the only other two I have picked so far. Graem James and Gunnar Forstrom
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Thanks for the input!

A review process and cycle would probably be more likely to succeed and be more cost effective than a review of everything all at once. When issues come up is a good way to start, especially as there is already a restructuring going on with city staff right now.

Housing will be something on everyone's agenda this year (as well it should be!). It is time to put the pressure on those who are elected to get something done before it's too late for low and middle income earners (and their families).

Return to “Kelowna”