Atheism debate

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Atheism debate

Post by Glacier »

jspaz wrote:It's not my beleifs Born Again, its the way things are. I don't care much about you and what you believe or what your kids believe but you can't get away with posting this god dammed nonsence on a public forum. It's not up for debate.

Okay *bleep*, why don't you try a new religion? This is my new religion... http://globalwarming.worldwidewarning.net/
Last edited by Glacier on Sep 9th, 2008, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

HA HA HA. I cannot believe it bleeped s p a z :dyinglaughing:
Last edited by Glacier on Sep 10th, 2008, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

:ohmygod: LOL & LOL. I totally missed that one. I take it that jspaz is now amongst the 'dearly departed'? Shame really, as the poster clearly had a good sense of humour ;-)
Life goes on.........
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

He's a s p a z for jebus. Hence the name jspaz.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

I've been away for a while and haven't had a chance to read through all of the posts yet, but I did find two posts that really cracked me up. Two atheists claim to have had experience with God and then moved on.... really? Read the last sentence again and get back to me.
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

gazillions have had experiences with religion and then moved on. If God spoke to me tomorow, i'd first check what i ate the night before, apologize for the wasted years, then i'd gladly move on with.

tonight i had cabbage rolls. maybe tomorow's the day.
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Big ned wrote:I've been away for a while and haven't had a chance to read through all of the posts yet, but I did find two posts that really cracked me up. Two atheists claim to have had experience with God and then moved on.... really? Read the last sentence again and get back to me.

???
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

I didn't say ( and they didn't say) religion.... they said God. How does an atheist have an experience with God and then become and atheist?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

They realize they were mistaken? :smt102
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I could be wrong, but I think what Big Ned is getting at is the difference between Religion and belief in God. People can believe in God without being religious, and people can be religious without believing in God.
- Douglas Murray
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Big Ned, it's simple. I was brainwashed by my mother, I saw God, I chatted with him daily for a couple of decades, went to His house at least twice per week, learnt a secret, and now I'm free.
He won't be back!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Born_again wrote:Big Ned, it's simple. I was brainwashed by my mother, I saw God, I chatted with him daily for a couple of decades, went to His house at least twice per week, learnt a secret, and now I'm free.
He won't be back!

Wow, twice a week, thats impressive!!
- Douglas Murray
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I got dragged/sent to church up until I was 13. Then I decided to never go again. Not sure if it was one thing, or a cumulation of things, but I had the realization that if God is so powerful that he can create an entire planet with millions of living organisms, why cant he stop little boys and girls from being tortured and raped? I would never pray, bow down or respect an all knowing entity that allows that to happen.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Well, I won't go into the whole proof of God debate that atheists demand. Both examples that have been brought up recently are of children at the age where most think their parents are idiots and don't want to have anything to do with what they are doing. Being indoctrinated as a child by your parents is different than truly having a desire to know if there is a God.

The atheists will mock and say "answers to prayers are not proof", but that is what the article refers to. There are some (myself included) who has tested God on his promise to answer those who approch him with a sincere heart and real intent. I know there is a God.

Now to the age old question about children beinig hurt and damaged in this world...Could God stop it? Yes, by taking away man's agency. That would nullify the whole reason for our existence. What do we do when we are given our agency here on earth? There are a pathetic few who will hurt children and the innocent and they will be rewarded accordingly. How do we deal with being those that are hurt? Do we get angry and make excuses and waste our life? Do we become determined to help others who have had difficulties?

God is not the one perpetrating the wrongs here on earth... too easy to blame him. What are we doing about it. How are we using our free agency to make a difference? God will judge that in the end.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

Atheists having an experience with God. God is subjective. God is some kind of immutable truth. God could be a mathematic formula in someone's frame of reference and an all powerful being in someone else's. Some people question the very nature of God. Some people get to glimpse at a 'secret' truth and they decide that it is God. Some people participate in some one else's method to "experience" God and they reject it. People decide individually what reality is and which truths they accept as part of it.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”