The voting youth

shrory
Fledgling

The voting youth

Post by shrory »

I was listening the CBC this morning 30/09 and a reporter was asking students at UBCO who they may be voting for, although some editing had probably been do to the story, not one student said they would be voting, their excuses ran from; did not understand politics, (what are we teaching these kids) to, it was not their scene.
Are these the same people who complain that the grey hairs have taken the fun out of Kelowna? Are these the people we see protesting over education cuts and student loans? If you do not vote you loose the right to protest.
I urge ALL ages to get out and vote, after all we live in a democracy, don’t we?
razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Re: the voting youth

Post by razzledazzle »

Are these the people we see protesting over education cuts and student loans? If you do not vote you loose the right to protest.

Under the Charter of Rights even if you don't vote you have a right to protest.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

Under the Charter of Rights even if you don't vote you have a right to protest.

I think the fellow was stating an opinion rather then a fact.

Are we talking Civic or Federal elections?

Neverless, alot of people in this generation are like this. They complain alot, yet don't vote or get politically active, nor do they even believe that our politcal system works. Very apathetic bunch.

That being said, there are some very well informed and active twentysomethings around in Kelowna, problem is they are few and far between.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

UVic seems to have two types of students, if I can afford to be so general.

-Overly Political
and
-O'Reilly's "Stoned Slackers"
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Re: The voting youth

Post by mechanic_virus »

I have to believe there was some editing done. I cannot bring myself to believe not one of the students interviewed intends to vote.

I remember when I was in high school I was right annoyed by the fact that I was considered too young to vote. I felt that my opinions were just as valid as anybody else's, and I still maintain that the right to vote should be given to those 15 and above. Why not?

During the last federal election, while standing outside of the polling station, three very elderly ladies walked out from the building. One of them commented that there were so many people around, and another told her "yes, it's voting day. That's why we came". The first lady then asked "did I vote?", when the other woman told her that yes, she had, the lady responded, "oh. Good". It again made me ask myself why there is a minimum voting age when no maximum is in place.

But that's off subject. The point I'd like to make is that the election of our leaders, whether it be municipal, provincial, or federal, is something that affects us all. We live in a democratic society which, although flawed, gives us the ability to choose how and by whom our society will be run. There is little that is as important as that, and it boggles my mind to know that there is anybody out there who does not wish to have their voice heard in the process.

Apathy will be the death of us all. :purefury:
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

I don't feel that apathy is the main problem.

The biggest problem is that people make uninformed votes. Especially in municipal politics. The voter turnout is low, and most people just vote for someone whose name they recognize. Many people who do vote, see it as their right, and vote just because they can. They have no idea who they are voting for or why they are voting for that person.
daedalus
Board Meister

Post by daedalus »

I would have to say the problem is apathy. Many times last year I talked about current events to my classmates (grade12). "What do you think about the Simpsons Covenant debate?" "whats that?"
"Have you ever heard of the SPP?" "the sp what?"
The only event they really cared about was... think about it... wakefest

Anyways, back on topic. I just dont think that enough time is spent on politics in school and thus no body (young) really cares about it. Im in the voting youth category and i will vote on the issues, not the names.
Penguin avatar: http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1816/penguinsnc5.gif
The poor penguin gets revenge: http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/13/penguin_revenge.gif
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

it boggles my mind to know that there is anybody out there who does not wish to have their voice heard in the process.
What if there is no one to vote for? I too was involved in politics before I could actually vote and in my high school we had quite a few energetic and passionate students that really rallied the troops. I'm not surprised apathy is prevalent considering who is running in the political arenas.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

mechanic_virus wrote:I remember when I was in high school I was right annoyed by the fact that I was considered too young to vote. I felt that my opinions were just as valid as anybody else's, and I still maintain that the right to vote should be given to those 15 and above. Why not?

This is a good quote and a good idea, why not? Help educate them in the system(ie. high school, where more sticks than people give credit for).

Personally in the past I have not voted due to the fact that honestly in MY eyes there was no-one to vote for. I have since changed my opinion on those matters and do my best to research as well as I can for a viable condidate, but that's a lot of effort most people "don't have the time for".
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

daedalus wrote: Anyways, back on topic. I just dont think that enough time is spent on politics in school and thus no body (young) really cares about it. Im in the voting youth category and i will vote on the issues, not the names.

What a great quote from the young person, "I will vote on the issues, not the names"

Far too many people of my age (gray)vote for the same party year in year out and not the issues.
Just reading a book at the moment albeit an old one, "On the Take, The Mulroney Years, what an eye opener."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

So....who should I vote for?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

Million dollar question, or here in Kelowna a two million dollar one :sunshine:

Vote on the issues, with your heart, and if whom you voted does not get in, at least you voted and you can *bleep* and complain to your hearts content.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I wish there was an online tool that would analize my views on everything and told me who I should vote for.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

Great Idea, you will have to put your computer training to good use and develop one
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

That's how I'm voting this year. I'm going on issues, probably due to the fact that most of the party leaders don't have anything that really grabs me thus far.

One thing they really need to do is put a voting station in UBCO. I also liked the lower the voting age, then we can put voting booths in the high school.

Once you do that, watch every party flock to the high schools, they won't need training/classes, they'll get crushed by the politcians running at the 1st time voters!
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.

Return to “Summerland and Other Election Categories”