Atheism debate

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Atheism debate

Post by Big ned »

It is quite simple and no, there is no magic elixor one must take etc. Ask and ye shall receive.
First off, you have to understand that I don't come from a background of "literal Bible" and the Bible is the only word etc...

It does state in the Bible quite clearly what one needs to do to have a relationship with God, However... I feel it is clarified even more so in the Book of Mormon.

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and
ponder it in your hearts.
4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

Now on first reading, it would seem all you have to do is pray and get an answer, but that isn't so. There are a few requirements. First you have to ask with a sincere heart. Those who post with a mocking tone towards religion will not ask with a sincere heart or have real intent.

Next, how does the power of the Holy Ghost reveal the truth?

7 Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.
8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.
9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong;

Wish I had time to post more, but very busy these days. For more answers see www.lds.org. I will try to come back and explain my view on how salvation is available to all (including those who have not heard the gospel of Christ in their lifetime).
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Big ned wrote:Those who post with a mocking tone towards religion will not ask with a sincere heart or have real intent.

I was a devout Mormon, Big Ned.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

I guess I'm missing the point. Someone asked how you can get to have a relationship with God. What does that have to do with you being a devout Mormon?
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

I think there is a "how to become close to God" section in the book of LDS in between where it says Native Americans are actually Hebrew and Joe Smith found golden tablets that he could only decipher in his hat. :spinball:
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Thanks Jony.. we are all aware of you feelings towards religion in general and Mormonism in particular. Your input is noted... very witty indeed.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

I am glad you thought so.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Born_again wrote:I was a devout Mormon, Big Ned.

Hmmm, sounds almost as bad as "reformed Catholic". Always hated that term.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I used to be religious. But church made me an atheist.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

CaptainAwesome wrote:I used to be religious. But church made me an atheist.

What made you religious then?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

recedingglacier wrote:

Two of my friends who once told me of this Jesus fell, the book that will change my life, and so on and so on. Then I got into that whole god thing, but after awhile it kinda went away.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

CaptainAwesome wrote:
recedingglacier wrote:

Two of my friends who once told me of this Jesus fell, the book that will change my life, and so on and so on. Then I got into that whole god thing, but after awhile it kinda went away.

CaptainAwesome. Same here walk in then 15 years later walk away.
xCandyx
Fledgling

Post by xCandyx »

"If you have a right to your opinion than I have a right to my opinion and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - George Carlin
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Rest in Peace...Carlin is my hero. Bill Hicks is brilliant too.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Air Wrench
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Air Wrench »

roadrunner24k wrote:
CaptainAwesome wrote:
recedingglacier wrote:

CaptainAwesome. Same here walk in then 15 years later walk away.

I was a devout Mormon, Big Ned.

I was also a member of this "organization" for 15 years. I returned for about 6 months and was reminded why I left in the first place. I have a few friends that are still there. I feel for them as all three are having a really hard time with relationships and the guilt that has been pressed upon them by their church leaders. All three are struggleing financially, as many of us are, yet they are guilted into giving 10% of their wages to the church. It really is a shame.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Returning to being religious is unthinkable for me. Once something happens, once you're not blind anymore, you can't really go back to being blind.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”