How many seats on Kelowna Council?

Timi
Fledgling

How many seats on Kelowna Council?

Post by Timi »

I keep hearing that there will be 5 seats out of 8 available on city council. Why 5? Does that mean that 3 councillors get to keep their seats, or 3 will be appointed?

It was my assumption that there were 8 seats available...just because 3 councillors are choosing to run again, does not guarantee they will be be voted in. If my assumption is correct, wouldn't this mean 8 open seats?
stay real.
strikes&gutters
Board Meister

Re: How many seats on Kelowna Council?

Post by strikes&gutters »

Yes there are 8 seats available. 3 current councillors have said they are not running again(Letnick, Gran, Clark) 3 have said they are (Rule, Hobson, Given) and 2 are undecided (Blanleil, Colin Day)

The reason some people say there are 3 spots up for grabs is because for some reason in this town, no matter how much people say things need to change, existing councillors get re-elected. Only 1 existing councillor has failed to get re-elected ever, and that was in 1973.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

Only 1 existing councillor has failed to get re-elected ever, and that was in 1973.

So if I kill somebody, I'll still get re-elected, right?
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

It may even increase your chances, as long as you are no longer barred from holding public office.

People would recognize your name, and that would be enough as most wouldn't remember what you did.
I dunno
Fledgling

Post by I dunno »

Yeah, it's too bad that once a councillor gets on, they are there for life. But maybe this time, things will be different. Name recognition may work in reverse this time. It has for me as I do not intend to vote for anyone with past council experience. Radical, but I don't think the new group could be any worse than the old group.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Last election he finished 23rd in voting. This year only 20 have signed up. He might improve his previous finish!!!

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#42353
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Is it just me.... or are there a lot of new names this year.
besides reading their campaign pdf or website how do we find out more about these new people.
are they going to get interviewed by papers or news?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
I dunno
Fledgling

Post by I dunno »

I went to the city of kelowna website and clicked on election 2008. It is interesting to note that even though Robert Hobson was one of the first to be on the list, he has not provided an e-mail address or campaign statement. Is this a sign of arrogance or what?
recce

Post by recce »

Actually, Smiley Nelson failed to get re-elected in 2002. We don't know about some of the new people running for council in Kelowna. Shelly Nicholl was a school board trustee and, according to the interview on the open line show on AM 1150 a couple of weeks ago, she only puts in 8 hrs a week on board business. Hope she plans on being harder working on council if she gets elected. Her record there of missing meetings or showing up late or not showing up period makes one worry. Phil suggested that maybe she used the school trustee position as a stepping stone to something bigger.
Kevin Craig

Post by Kevin Craig »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:Is it just me.... or are there a lot of new names this year.
besides reading their campaign pdf or website how do we find out more about these new people.
are they going to get interviewed by papers or news?

Well, I'm a Council Candidate, so I've been thinking about this question in reverse - how do I inform people about who I am and what I stand for - but lots of it is applicable:

- Closer to the election, Shaw TV will be providing each candidate with a few minutes of free airtime to respond to a set of questions, so that should be a good chance to compare and contrast everyone

- During the 2005 municipal election, the Daily Courier profiled a different candidate every day leading up to voting day. I haven't heard whether or not they'll be doing that again, but I'll let you know if they do.

- There are a number of All Candidates Forums taking place between now and November 15. The closest one is being hosted by PHAT-CO tomorrow night, Friday Oct 17, at the Canadian Mental Health building (405 Sutherland). It will start at 6:30 and focus mainly on social issues.
After that, it's the Okanagan Mission Residents Association hosting a forum at 7PM on Wednesday Oct 22 at the Christ Lutheran Church on Lakeshore Rd. I currently don't know enough details about the other All Candidates Meetings to post them, but I will when I have the info.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

cool thanks, I went to the one last night at the mental health centre
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:cool thanks, I went to the one last night at the mental health centre

Anything you can enlighten us with to help us wade through the candidates?
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
RJ7

Post by RJ7 »

Keeping in mind that this was the first forum with very little time for each candidate to speak, five stood-out for me with their apparent knowledge/experience/professionalism/sincerity (particularly around social issues which was the forum's main focus): incumbants Hobson, Rule, Shepherd, and newcomers Luke Stack and Janice Henry. There are a few others that sound promising so hopefully we'll hear a bit more from each of them in the upcoming forums.

Return to “Kelowna”