Penticton Council - General Discussion

onestop67
Guru

Penticton Council - General Discussion

Post by onestop67 »

Can someone list the councillor and mayoral candidates for Penticton.

And then we can get a conversation going on who they are and what they support.

I'm new here and don't know any of the current council or the ones who are running. Need info,

and,

I don't get any of the papers and Castanet isn't reporting anything.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Re: Penticton Elections

Post by mechanic_virus »

Dear onestop67~

You have been invited to a “meet the candidate” coffee party this Wednesday September 24th from 6:30-8:00 PM at the Can Coffee Co. at 1475 Fairview Road.

Local candidate Dan Albas will be unveiling his small business platform and take questions from the general public. This is a great opportunity to introduce yourself to Dan and let him know your ideas regarding small business or more general concerns for the city.

Coffee will be served courtesy of the Can Coffee Co. and you are encouraged to forward this invitation to an interested friend, family member or co-worker- the more the merrier.

Dan is a man who loves his community and wants to see it continue to be the jewel of the South Okanagan. He has lived in Penticton since the early 1980's, graduating from PSS, and having attended OUC.

Long Term Action Plans
Public Town Hall Meetings

Dislikes:
Red Tape
Wasteful Spending
People Who Ask for Spare Change
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

I caught that thread. I'd like a little less biased opinions to start. Although it will probably be just another candidate replying to me...

I might go check it out.

Not sure about the panhandling, m_v, you should know this. How is Kelowna doing that "busker license" program? Maybe a token fee for a license. They do make some good money if they're good at it, and I doubt many pay taxes on it.
Wasted MACK

Post by Wasted MACK »

I'll be voting for anybody but this current council,they dont listen to the people of Penticton
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Wasted MACK wrote:I'll be voting for anybody but this current council,they dont listen to the people of Penticton

If you have a bit of time, could you post a bit more about the people that are running?

I really don't have a clue about any of these people.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Hi Monkeyboy,

Dan Albas here.

Since no one has chimed in and responded, I hope you don't mind if I jump in. The other person who responded did not do so on my behalf (I don't know who it is), so hopefully you won't think this is a partisan appeal or approach- you had a question- who is running and so I want to get you an answer.

Incumbents John Vassilakki and Garry Litke have said that they would like to serve another term. Randy Manuel and Rory McIvor have said publically that they will not seek re-election for personal or business reasons. The rest of council including the Mayor have yet to announce their intentions.

As far as I know only Crystal Froese, Elevena Slump and myself have announced that they will be running for city council. No one has come forward and said they will run for mayor.

The entire school trustee board has said that they would like to serve another term. Tracy St. Claire, Kim Marshall and Ron Barillaro have all publically said that they would seek election for school trustee.

Hope this helps!

sincerely,

Dan Albas
Candidate, Penticton City Council Election 2008
#304- 1475 Fairview Road, Penticton BC
V2A 7W5 (250) 486-2199 [email protected]
http://www.danalbas.com

Click here to see Dan's video http://www.danalbas.com/dan_intro_1.php
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Thank you very much.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Kimberly seeks re-election
by Kevin Berar - Giant FM - Story: 42192
Oct 2, 2008 / 3:00 pm

Penticton Mayor, Jake Kimberly, will be seeking another term as Mayor.

Kimberly made it official with an announcement at the Penticton Golf & Country Club Thursday morning.

He listed several reasons as to why he should be re-elected, and some of the projects he and City Council have accomplished with him as mayor.

Property taxes was one of those reasons. Kimberly says taxes are always a touchy subject.

"With the ever increasing cost of material and fuel, plus the ongoing growth of our city, it is becoming more and more difficult to hold the line on property taxes. Our city, specifically because of the practice of previous councils to hold the line on taxes, our infrastructure is failing to keep up with the demand on growth and the need for regular and costly maintenance," says Kimberly.

He says the only way to avoid increased taxes is to accept the reduction of services.

"You have to spend money to save money by recognizing that today the decision to invest in our infrastructure only adds additional burden on the taxpayer in the years to come. I have noted that the easiest decision on taxes is to say no, but to say no means you are leaving this decision to your successors."

So far only one other candidate has said he is running for mayor, Benjamin Wolfe.

Councillor Dan Ashton, has not declared himself as a candidate yet, however, speculation has it he will also run.

"I have not heard from Councillor Ashton on his intentions but I await his decision. He's been a very good councillor and I would not deny him the opportunity if that is what he wishes to do."

The Municipal Election is set for November 15th.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Dan Ashton has declared his intention to run for mayor. When the story becomes available on the herald website, I will post it out of fairness to both candidates.
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

Dan Albas wrote:Kimberly seeks re-election
by Kevin Berar - Giant FM - Story: 42192
Oct 2, 2008 / 3:00 pm

Penticton Mayor, Jake Kimberly, will be seeking another term as Mayor.
He says the only way to avoid increased taxes is to accept the reduction of services.

Sounds like another typical greedy politician!
When Sharon Sheephearder said the same thing last year, I told her that maybe it was time to cut the Councils pay by 50% and they would be fine.
And no more voting yourself a raise, the general public will decide whether you get a raise or paycut like the rest of us!

Can you flippin imagine, longtime employees of late have been asked to take paycuts, start worksharing and Politicians and City employees vote themselves a flippin thirty-something percent raise, and then tell us it's hard to keep property taxes stable when they just spent another 10,000,000 on wages for themselves!

If they are so dedicated to the General public, they should work for Minimum wage and have to account for every penny they spend and every minute they get paid for!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Wow struts, what can I say? Molehills and mountains.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Ashton challenging for mayor’s seat
By John Moorhouse Wednesday, October 8, 2008
The race for mayor in Penticton just heated up. Coun. Dan Ashton announced Monday he will be seeking the mayor’s chair in the Nov. 15 municipal election, challenging incumbent Mayor Jake Kimberley. Benjamin Wolfe of Kaleden is also in the running. Ashton pointed to his 10-and-a-half years experience on council, noting he has shown he is "very accountable, fiscally responsible and utilizes a lot of common sense." He said, with due respect to Kimberley, there is "a bit of a need for change" in the mayor’s office and suggested city services, costs and taxation will be a key election issue. Ashton noted the current economic slump hasn’t missed Penticton which has suffered from a number of manufacturing plant and other business closures in recent months. "There’s a lot of very good people that work at the City of Penticton, but we all have to be cognizant that times are changing," he said. "We’re all riding that big wave Ð and the tide is going out." Ashton said he is not suggesting reductions to city staff and services, but feels council should look closely at how it provides that service. "What I’m looking at is to make sure we operate as efficiently as possible." he said. Ashton noted some very significant developments in Penticton have been shelved in recent months, which could have a significant impact on city finances down the road. "It’s incumbent on council to start thinking about the ramifications of those things not going ahead," he said. A slower growth rate could also impact the proposed expansions of the city’s water and sewer treatment plants, he said. "I don’t saying they’re not required," he said. "But the numbers have all changed very quickly. We have to be cognizant of the capacity for people to pay for those upgrades."
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

School Board attracts 16
by Wayne Moore - Story: 42393
Oct 10, 2008 / 6:00 pm

Penticton voters will have more choices for School Trustee than for City Councillor when they go to the polls November 15.

A record 16 names will appear on the ballot for the Penticton School Board. Fifteen people will let their names stand for council.

Nominations for all positions closed Friday.

The race for mayor will also be contentious, with five names to appear on the ballot, including incumbent Jake Kimberly and long time councillor Dan Ashton.

The following is a list of those running November 15 in Penticton,

Penticton Mayor

Dan Ashton
Jake Kimberly (i)
Finn Larson
Gary Leaman
Benjamin Wolfe

Penticton Council (elect 6)

Dan Albas
Pamela Campbell
Glenn Clarke
Crystal Froese
Joanne Grimaldi (i)
Lindsey Hall
Andrew Jakubeit
Thomas Johnston
Garry Litke (i)
James Palanio
Michael Pearce
Judith Sentes
Elvena Slump
John Vassilaki (i)
R. Hilton Walter

Penticton School Trustee (elect 4)
Kevin Andrews (i)
Ronald Barillaro
Jim Calvert
Shelley Clarke (i)
Elaine Edmond
Sandra Forrest
Melanie Gale
Walter Huebert (i)
Brigid Kemp
Larry Little (i)
Kimberly Anne Marschall
Ron Mason
Charles Perry
Tracy St. Claire
Thomas Siddon
Brenda Wall
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Thank you for keeping this thread somewhat updated, Dan.
Dan Albas

Post by Dan Albas »

Join us at the Meet the Candidates for the Upcoming Municipal Election

The public is invited to attend the Municipal All Candidates Forum October 28, 29 & 30, 2008.

Sponsored by the South Okanagan Similkameen Conservation Program.

Penticton Trade & Convention Centre to meet and hear the views of the Mayoral, City Council and School Board Trustee Candidates for the upcoming municipal election over the course of three evenings:

Tuesday, October 28 - School Board Trustee

Wednesday, October 29 - City Council

Thursday, October 30 - Mayoral

Where & When
Penticton Trade & Convention Centre

273 Power Street
Penticton, BC

October 28, 29 & 30

All forums 7 - 9 pm

For more information, please contact the Chamber offices at 250-492-4103.

Don't forget to vote on Saturday, November 15th!

Return to “Penticton”