Saudi cleric favours one-eye veil

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Saudi cleric favours one-eye veil

Post by Glacier »

Born_again wrote:The toughies are:
Saudi Arabia
Iran
Qatar
Yemen
Kuwait

What about Astan, Iraq, or Syria?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Or the US of KKK A?
Don't know why threw that in... I just get a kick out of it when I hear it.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

recedingglacier wrote:
Born_again wrote:The toughies are:
Saudi Arabia
Iran
Qatar
Yemen
Kuwait

What about Astan, Iraq, or Syria?

"Astan"? I've also lived/worked in Khazikstan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, and next week I'll be in Sudan for the first time. Sudan is getting close to being included in my 'top 5 toughie' on paper, but as of yet I have not been there so I'll wait before I cast aspersions. I'll let you know in 3 weeks time how that one goes.
Syria is an unknown to me, but friends(and one employee) that have been there say it's not bad.
Iraq is secular, or at least it was under Saddam Hussein! If anyone feels qualified enough to discuss Iraq with me, then fill your boots; I'll be happy to oblige.
BTW, I would dearly love to go on holiday to Tajikistan, and have wished to do so for the last 6 years. Of course, I have to fit that in with my desires to see the Yukon and Newfoundland as well. You only live once, people.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

What is it you do that you travel everywhere?

Not everyday I meet somebody who lived in Azerbaijan (Baku, I assume?)
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

LOL I was drinking with an old friend that I met in Primorsk(90km south of Baku) this very same evening. I loved Azerbaijan(spent a lot of time there), and I am seriously considering setting up a sub-operation there. I was/am an ROV pilot in the oil and gas industry, so I've been to just about all of the oil producing regions of the world. Goes with the trade. I now own a company that deals with ROV operations, but that is just a smaller aspect of what I do.
BTW, the Okanagan is the best place on the planet, for me! :sunshine:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Right on!

I was thinking along the lines of British Petroleum worker (tons of them in Baku) or US gov't aid project worker (like my wife). I've been to Baku few times too, quite a place. A bit too hot for me in the summer though, I wouldn't go outside during daytime or I'd only ride the orange taxi cabs (the ones that have AC)!

:coffeecanuck:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I know someone trying to get his papers together to English in Saudi Arabia. He was under the impression he'd have a multi-entry visa but lo and behold, they issue a single= entry. Now he can't escape to nearby, read less harsh, countries on weekends. He knows he is in for a looong haul in cloistered society. He knows he can't even talk to a woman because he could get her killed, as in stoned to death.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Born-again - I assure you Eastern Turkey for a woman is a harrowing experience. But in Ankara I was extremely naive to try to walk into the Syrian embassy compound, backpack and all. A guard stepped out and pointed his AK-47 straight at me. Hey, all I wanted was freaking visa to cross through Syria into Jordon, just like the Dutch guys I met in Israel had done. I still have the rejection letter to this day and the memory of that gun.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

That's interesting how different people have completely different experiences in one contry. My wife travelled to Ankara by herself and she found that country to be somewhat nice and had no problems at all.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Keesa, I've seen so much of that kind of thing that it has almost become the norm for me to just accept it(a localised desensitisation I've developed). Any time you are stood at the pointy end of a rifle is frightening, and I'm sure your memories of what should have been the adventure of a lifetime were marred.That is the main reason why I choose to work in the Emir@tes. I'm half looking forward to seeing which levels of barbarity exist in Sudan next week. I'm a curious traveller, and I operate off the beaten trail as much as possible to get the true feel for a country/culture.
SHOZDIJIJI
Board Meister

Post by SHOZDIJIJI »

This won't fly in Saudi. I've just returned from teaching in Saudi and the Majority of the Saudi women I worked with didn't wear a veil of any kind. The witch story is a joke and won't fly either. The Saudi courts more often then not have the verdicts over turned by the Saudi Governement.

As long as people like Warren Jeffs are able to run around untouched here. As long as communities like Bountiful B.C. exist I think we western folks should keep our thoughts to ourselves and correct what is wrong here first. 1 in 5 children go to school hungary. The Saudi 's have a great social program and this kind of thing in the same degree wouldn't happen.

Clifford Olson would have had his head cut off in Saudi, where as here he costs the Canadian Tax payer thousands......and for what reason....

Saudi Arabia is slowly joining the rest of the world. I saw huge changes during my time there 1991- 2007...... It's not perfect but it's no worse then us. :sunshine:
After being asked if he would consider politic's the smart man replied " No the smart people have the Politicians working for them."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Capt. A - I spent 5 weeks in Turkey and have every reason to go back. I said Eastern Turkey because once past Ankara, a city I've been to three times, once a single travelling woman gets say, to Lake Van and up to the Iranian border things are a quite different, culturally and otherwise.

One of the best experiences was been invited into a school, the English class no less. All the students wore uniforms and when the teacher came into the room, they all stood up and said, "good morning teacher" and waited to be allowed to sit down. I was Dumfounded. I think all our little juvenile criminal wannabees should spend at least three weeks other there.

Scho: Canada isn't perfect either. Who said it was?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”