Peachland council - General discussion

Shawner
Fledgling

Upcoming Peachland Elections

Post by Shawner »

Any thoughts on the upcoming municipal election?

If I remember correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong writerdave, since this is by memory from your past articles), there are 2 that have decided to seek re-election (Fraser and Condon), 3 that will not run again (Reid, Moritz and Nielsen) and 2 undecided (Thorne and Hallberg).

The only new name I've heard so far is Megan Leblanc, stumbled across her page on Facebook (http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/g ... 0626426174). Her main concern seems to be families and youth.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Upcoming Peachland Elections

Post by Nebula »

You are correct, burnt.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Peachland council - General discussion

Post by Nebula »

The following is the unofficial list of candidates for the 2008 civic election in Peachland. Nominations closed at 4 p.m. today (Friday, October 10) and candidates have until end of business, Friday, October 17 to back out. Candidates can be contested until Monday, October 20, which is the day when the official list is released.

For mayor:

Bud Day
Shirley Geiger
Keith Fielding

For councillor:

Eric Hall
Marion Hall
Marion Irving
Jean Fraser
Vern Moberg
Terry Condon
Carol Smithson
Frank Riechmann
Peter Schierbeck
Ernie Hurd
Lindsay Bell
Linda Sarsons

For school trustee:
Moyra Baxter
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
CarMa
Übergod

Re: Peachland election candidates

Post by CarMa »

What does that mean "they can be contested until October 20"? Isn't Moyra Baxter acclaimed?
Last edited by CarMa on Oct 10th, 2008, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

CarMa, techinically no.

The list above is of those people who submitted their nomination papers by the 4 p.m. deadline. There are two issues that must be resolved before the list becomes official.

1) Back out. Candidates have one week to decide they'd really rather not run.

2) One-week for residents to contest the nomination of any candidate. I don't know if this has ever happened but people are given a week to contest (think protest) any nomination because the person believes the candidate does not meet candidate criteria (not a Canadian citizen, etc.)

So, technically, the list is not official. Once the back out and contest dates expire, the list becomes official. Barring unforeseen circumstances, on October 20 Moyra Baxter will be acclaimed.
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

Thanks! Now I understand what you mean by contested. Makes sense.
Shawner
Fledgling

Post by Shawner »

Did Megan LeBlanc pull out?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

In my rush today, I didn't even notice, burnt. Apparently she did pull out.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

For mayor:

Bud Day
Shirley Geiger
Keith Fielding

[-X No way on earth will the wife of a husband and wife realtor team get my vote! The gall astounds me.
http://www.peachlandrealty.ca/peachland-realty.htm wrote:Gary & Shirley Geiger, a husband and wife team of forty two years working together to serve you; “our client”.

“WE LOVE OUR JOB ~~~~~ SELLING REAL ESTATE”

We are the broker/owners of Peachland Realty Ltd. We have been licensed under the British Columbia Real Estate Association for eighteen years. Working in the Central Okanagan all of that time, one could say we know the area well.
Bozzo and Me

Re: Peachland council - General discussion

Post by Bozzo and Me »

For Mayor is a no-brainer, Keith Fielding is head and shoulders over either of the other 2. For council is another question, even with 12 running we've only settled on 3, so far.
Shawner
Fledgling

Post by Shawner »

Bozzo & me wrote:For Mayor is a no-brainer, Keith Fielding is head and shoulders over either of the other 2. For council is another question, even with 12 running we've only settled on 3, so far.

I'm leaning the same way you are for the mayor, but just curious as to your reasoning?
Bozzo and Me

Post by Bozzo and Me »

burnt One is a Realtor nuf said. The other has a vision for a new marina and that means taking away another part of our "unbroken foreshore". There is a proposal for a private day wharf, a $2 Million, day wharf, by the PEDC to be built between the two groins in front of the Gasthouse. No parking required but with a restaurant at the end of the wharf? Is Bud Day for that project, sounds like it. In the View Oct 09 under activities he shows he's Pres, VP ,VChair etc but I can't find him listed for any of those positions at least not now, maybe in the past, or maybe I'm missing something. No apparent municipal experience.
As for Fielding, I like what he said to Dave Preston in the View Oct 02 and in his little brochure. He is the Pres of the Wellness center and is Chair or Dir of a couple of local Senior Housing initiatives and has had considerable exposure to and in the public sector. That may not be a plus but at least he probably knows how that bunch works. He does seem to have a handle on development projects. Of course everybody is for motherhood these days.
The Pincushion mountain project will likely be a done deal by the time the new council gets into office, with a Public Hearing Nov 13 and a Special Council Meeting proposed for Nov 18 and a council meeting Nov 25. There is time to approve it.
The current council is a lame-duck with only 2 possible re-elects and the rest left or leaving.
They shouldn't be voting approval of a project this big, they are legal, but not moral to do so. Who knows maybe they'll do the right thing and leave it to the new guys.
Maybe I have a couple of things off subject?
Peachland Boy

Post by Peachland Boy »

Have you actually taken the time to listen to Mr.Fielding. He is a transplant here as are alot of the candidates for council. Why is it not important that our youth and young families have the ability to remain in our beautiful town. When Mr. Fielding moved here did he build a house or buy an existing one? And what happened to the family that he bought from? Do you have to move away from town or is some development OK? Growth is necessary to sustain our economy. We need to look at the whole picture not just small snippets that can grab headlines. We need employment for our young families. With a declining school enrollment we face the very real possibility of loosing our school in the near future. And many seniors like Mr. Fielding would like to retire here but realistically they alone will not support our future. Peachland was a wonderful place to grow up and I have many great memories from my youth, I want my children to be able to have similar memories as well.
peacher

Post by peacher »

Yes, it is unfortunate about the number of council members who have rolled into town, spread their wisdom and left again, sometimes without waiting until their terms were up. In answer to your question, Keith Fielding bought an existing house. Don't know where the sellers went.

As for Shirley Geiger, there are a couple of things that concern me and should probably concern everyone. First of all: her "retirement" from the real estate business. Are both of them retiring? If not, there is a definite conflict of interest if her husband Gary is still going to run it. If they are both out of the business, who have they sold Peachland Realty to? I hear rumours Grant Eisworth is taking it over. If so, have they got all the cash proceeds in hand, or are they carrying the paper? If it's the latter they will still have a major interest in the business and will continue to call the shots in order to guard their investment. Despite what the real estate people are saying, it's getting tough out there and they'll have to watch the store pretty closely if their money is still tied up in the business. Say what you will, the potential for serious conflict is there if she is in the mayor's chair.

Secondly, we all know their dedication to the curling rink. Despite rinks going down across the country they both seem determined to try to push it through. (My brother in Saskatchewan says that rinks are closing all over the place, and if they're in trouble there, what chance do we have here? But I guess that's a side issue.) If she is elected to mayor, will be be a "single issue" politician? That's the last thing we need in Peachland in light of some of the sorry decisions we've suffered through over the past 6 years.

On top of all this, I have heard stories from former chamber members who blame her for much of the internal fighting that has gone on in the past. If that is true, I don't see her holding council together.
Peachland Boy

Post by Peachland Boy »

Well Preacher lets do as your name suggests and preach the benefits of attending the all candidates meeting on Monday. In my opinion it is more important to vote for common sense than ideals. Hopefully the candidates will be willing to answer questions and speak for what they believe.

Return to “Peachland”