School Trustee - General Discussion

2by4angel
Fledgling

Re: School Trustee Elections?

Post by 2by4angel »

...Perhaps more appropriate wording for my earlier comment relating to those being elected into Trustee positions should have read - "Those seeking nomination into a Trustee position should have some understanding of the public education system and a keen interest in working towards the success of all students within the district"...

Speaking from experience, there is a huge learning curve even as a parent/guardian volunteer in the system, let alone the learning curve that will take place in a Trustee position. Those putting or wishing to put forward their names for a Trustee position also need to understand that there is a large time commitment involved (to attend Meetings, various events, and so on), made even larger where he/she may need to become better informed/educated on various topics.

I agree that there needs to be 'balance' at the Board table and completely respect that 'agreements' do need to be honoured (as well as the organizations/indivduals they pertain to - IE. COTA, CUPE) but I also would like to see that those sitting at the table take a more proactive role in communicating with those they are to represent on a more regular basis...
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

writerdave wrote:Everything you wanted to know about being a candidate:

http://www.cd.gov.bc.ca/lgd/gov_structure/library/local_elections_candidate_guide.pdf

From the document in the above link, specific to Board of Education elections:

Candidates for school board trustee may also wish to obtain a copy of the School
Trustee Elections Procedures Guide, which is available on the Ministry of education
website at:

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/legislation/t ... elcome.htm

for more information about becoming a school board trustee, please contact your
local school district, or call or write:
Ministry of education
Governance and legislation Branch
po Box 9146 stn. prov. Govt.
victoria, BC v8W 9H1
phone: 250-356-1404
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

Completely agree with you, 2by4angel. :smt023
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

I'm starting to read through all the information, thanks guys!
2by4angel
Fledgling

Post by 2by4angel »

I took a look through everything......Makes for a very interesting read....Still undecided...
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

Hnnn we want to teach people to be productive individuals so we take the direction of China and bring in dress codes, clamp down on dicipline, and so on.
Actually to some measure you are right, but remember respect is earned not altogether learned.
What we need is topics to be interesting and worthwhile as life experience as well.
Education is just that, teach differing opinions, and not just force feed our beliefs onto the plate of young minds. I believe grandparents are as important as parents in the formation of the child.
My grandkids have told me things their parents will never know, and by not being a tatle tale, or heavy handed I was able to head off all kinds of things that could have had negative consequences.
there is a time for dicipline and a time for guidance and we must know the time they should be implimented.
We need people who care, about children, community, and even the contracts with employees that must be respected, especially if respect is one of the major things we are trying to teach our young
truthseeker

Post by truthseeker »

From reading previous posts, I came to the conclusion that Reggin was a certain R.V. from Joe Rich. Maybe I'm wrong, because if so he would know who the candidates were, because he is one of them.
Reg Volk
Ernie Straad (or something like that)
Anna Hunt-Binkley the incumbent.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Is there a reason for asking questions like that?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
truthseeker

Post by truthseeker »

Reggin wrote:Sure-how do you know whom to vote for?

if you do not know who they are and what they stand for? :sunshine:

Well, let me think:

Anna Hunt-Binkley has been the trustee for six years. I know she is in favour of regional representation on the school board. She has no conflict of interest when it comes to issues about employees eg voting on wages etc. (Currently three trustees have conflicts)

Ernie S. Don't know anything about him, except I heard his son is a teacher in SD23

Reg Volk. Retired teacher. In favour of all trustees being elected at large in the district. Also running as Regional Director.
amomof2dogs
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by amomof2dogs »

A link to the list of Board of Education Trustees for Kelowna.
http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page954.aspx

And the regional district candidates:
http://www.regionaldistrict.com/departm ... einfo.aspx

My vote will go to those candidates who will view their work as a trustee through the lens of what is best for kids. After reading all of the candidate profiles that are posted on the two sites above, it appears to me that there are several candidates who may have strong alliances with union and teacher groups. I believe the best interest of students is served when there are no other agendas in play. I intend to pay close attention as to which candidates the area BCTF and CUPE locals support. In my opinion, it is not in the best interests of students and their education to have trustees that are closely aligned to unions.
Churchhawk

Post by Churchhawk »

Reggin wrote:Hmmm... interesting:

"Conflict of interest rules in the community charter requires that, once in local office, you may not vote or participate in discussions about any matters where you have a direct or indirect pecuniary
(financial) interest. "

Does having children who are teachers give you that interest anymore then friends who are teachers?

As far as school trustees are concerned, the BC Public School Employers' Association (Government mandated) has some rules about conflict. A trustee who has a spouse, parent or child, who is an employee of a school district ( or is an employee themselves - yes, you can be a teacher in one district and a trustee in another) cannot represent the Board to BCPSEA, or vote on salary and other issues. At the moment 3 trustees are in that position - that means the BCPSEA work has to be done by the other 4.

Two of those trustees in conflict on this issue are running again. It seems that at least two of the new candidates are in this position. Ernie Schaad in Lake Country has a son who is a teacher. Lynda Zorn, running in Kelowna, has a daughter who is a principal. A few of the other candidates have education backgrounds, so they might have a conflict, too. I don't know, but perhaps they need to be asked.
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

Churchhawk wrote:A few of the other candidates have education backgrounds, so they might have a conflict, too.

Gosh, imagine actually having a background in education and running for school trustee. Gee, I went to school and have kids in the system.... maybe that's a conflict. Everyone brings some bias to the table. The goal should be to have a Board that has a variety of backgrounds and expertise -- educators, parents, and others who will work together for the good of ALL students and as the employer, will respect the work of its employees. No one person's bias or agenda should overpower another's, as long as everyone is working to make our public education system the best it can be.

By the way, support staff and teacher salaries are determined by the provincial government, not the Boards of Education.
amomof2dogs
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by amomof2dogs »

Churchhawk wrote:
Reggin wrote:Hmmm... interesting:

"Conflict of interest rules in the community charter requires that, once in local office, you may not vote or participate in discussions about any matters where you have a direct or indirect pecuniary
(financial) interest. "

Does having children who are teachers give you that interest anymore then friends who are teachers?

As far as school trustees are concerned, the BC Public School Employers' Association (Government mandated) has some rules about conflict. A trustee who has a spouse, parent or child, who is an employee of a school district ( or is an employee themselves - yes, you can be a teacher in one district and a trustee in another) cannot represent the Board to BCPSEA, or vote on salary and other issues. At the moment 3 trustees are in that position - that means the BCPSEA work has to be done by the other 4.
Two of those trustees in conflict on this issue are running again. It seems that at least two of the new candidates are in this position. Ernie Schaad in Lake Country has a son who is a teacher. Lynda Zorn, running in Kelowna, has a daughter who is a principal. A few of the other candidates have education backgrounds, so they might have a conflict, too. I don't know, but perhaps they need to be asked.

Rollie Cacchoini and Wayne Horning also have sons that are teachers. Richard Knight is married to a teacher.
I think, therefore we are different.
Churchhawk

Post by Churchhawk »

Reggin wrote:Hmmm, very interesting issues here.

Do not unions actually improve the classroom for students e.g. class size, special needs numbers when they bargain?

AND in the long run conflict of interests has to be proven in a court of law.

I am not saying the BCPSEA rules are right or wrong - I am just saying that that's the way it is.

Although the Provincial Government has stepped in and negotiated slaries etc with teachers and support staff (and not fully funded those increases I hear) the negotiations are supposed to take place between the unions and the Boards of Education via BCPSEA. As BCPSEA has never successfully negotiated a contract one wonders if it should be gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Back to the point of this "conflict". If the majority of trustees are bound by these rules, then it does put undue pressure and time commitment on the others.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

CarMa wrote:
Churchhawk wrote:A few of the other candidates have education backgrounds, so they might have a conflict, too.

Gosh, imagine actually having a background in education and running for school trustee. Gee, I went to school and have kids in the system.... maybe that's a conflict. Everyone brings some bias to the table. The goal should be to have a Board that has a variety of backgrounds and expertise -- educators, parents, and others who will work together for the good of ALL students and as the employer, will respect the work of its employees. No one person's bias or agenda should overpower another's, as long as everyone is working to make our public education system the best it can be.

Good points. Those with an interest, experience and passion for education are better suited to trustee postions than those that want to push a personal agenda or have a limited focus. We need trustees that consider the big picture and strive to balance the needs of all students.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Kelowna”