Glenn Clark - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Glenn Clark - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for Glenn Clark, council candidate.
Centurion
Board Meister

Re: Glenn Clark - Council Candidate

Post by Centurion »

Former NDP Premier Glenn Clark?
shades23

Post by shades23 »

LOL I don't think so

I think it's Glen Clark the local artist

Glenn Clark, born in 1959 in Kelowna BC received a diploma in Fine Arts (distinction) from the Okanagan College in 1988, and his BFA from the University of Calgary in 1991. After graduation, he moved to Penticton where he continues to run his studio and work at the Art Gallery of the South Okanagan.

In 1998 Clark began working with the defunct Penticton Vees Hockey Club to create a series of paintings depicting the team during its glory days, the mid-fifties. In 1955 the Vees whipped the heavily favoured Russians 5-0 to take back the World Championship for Canada. Little is mentioned in the history books about their amazing Cinderella run at hockey supremacy; Clark is out to change that. After exhibiting the work in 2000 at the Penticton Museum, Clark created a commissioned mural of the team on the Elks Hall in Penticton. The mural has been featured on Hockey Night in Canada twice.

Clark's paintings have been described as "a celebration of life", and the combination of his passion for painting and hockey continues with the creation of new works of the Vees and other forgotten heroes from a not so distant past. Clark's work has been auctioned to support the British Columbia Hockey Hall of Fame, Andy Moog Charity Golf Tournament, and the Art Gallery of the South Okanagan. His work is in the Collection of the Penticton Hockey School, Penticton Panther Hockey Club, Penticton Memorial Arena, and several other private and public collections.

Glenn does not limit himself to painting figurative subjects; he has recently painted a series of oil sketches that depict the power the beauty of the Okanagan has over its residents. At times the Okanagan storm skies can command deep respect with their rays of light piercing through dark clouds to shine a single sunray on a particular orchard or vineyard in the distance. Glenn captures these brief moments exquisitely in these small and evocative paintings.

Glenn Clark Employment and Education:

2004 – Preparator, Art Gallery of the South Okanagan
2003, 2006 Interim Curator, Art Gallery of the South Okanagan
1991– 2003 Exhibition Assistant, Art Gallery of the South Okanagan.
1988-1991 University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
* Fine Arts Program, major in Painting - BFA 1986-1988 Okanagan College, Kelowna, BC, Canada
* Fine Arts Diploma Program
* Received Diploma with Distinctions
1978-1979 Kootenay School of Art, Nelson, B C
* Certificate of Graphic Design
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

Great post.Very informative.Thank you very much.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Great personal history.

Can we get some info on his political beliefs?
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

You sure can. Glenn kindly passed this along to be posted. Thanks Glenn!

It's me, Glenn Clark, the artist, not Glen Clark the ex premier of BC. After ten or so years folks still confuse us, so just to clear the air, I don't have a deck outside my home. I am told the city of Penticton had posted his face on my bio...Yikes!

Your audience wants to know where I stand on issues and that is great. From yesterday's forum I would suggest I am the greenest candidate running in Penticton. It has been a lifestyle for my wife Camille and me all of our lifes, I ride my bike and she walks everywhere. Air quality is a major issue facing the entire Okanagan Valley, on most days just climb up a mountain and you can see the smog settled in amongst us. Finding ways to reducing our carbon footprint will protect our health, quality of life, and tourism industry. I'll be shooting for bike lanes and a transit system which joins us to the rest of the Okanagan, chipper programs and whatever it takes to clean up the valley.

I am obviously passionate about the arts and support the realization that arts is a good economic driver. If I had a crystal ball I am sure that in thirty years the union between the wine industry and arts and culture will complete, and as a package will be the main tourism driver. People from all over the world come to witness the beauty of the Okanagan. Here in Penticton we are in a unique position, in that urban sprawl has not yet enveloped the city, the hills still look like hills, and our recent Official Community Plan speaks to keeping things that way. I can work with that, and in the relative infancy of the local arts program, (Penticton hired it's first Arts and Culture Officer this year) it will be exciting to work with Allison to set the groundwork for the future. Always work with the positives.

Of-course there are the tough issues which city councils face, oversize towers, lack of transparency, subsidized housing, high taxes, things that have frustrated so many citizens and ultimately put so many new faces in to this years election race. So there is a lot in common for the electorate to choose from, and it makes this particular election fun and interesting to be in. Change is the buzz word these days and it fits here in Penticton too. So why should people put a tick beside my name? I have no inside interest but helping to create a valley in which my children can be a part of. I know too many working people who are struggling with the high rents. I don't live on some high perch, I feel connected to the people. We need to begin assembling some housing projects for our disabled, working poor and seniors. I'm no dummy, but I still can't figure out how our 4.5 % tax increase last year ended up being 28% or 32%, as most home owners I have canvassed indicated. I guess only in Penticton. One of my qualities is I just can't lie, and as important as it is for councils to stick together on issues, I couldn't support that kind of tax burden to the citizens, in the board room or in the press. Things will be a lot more transparent with me. I know it is tough to keep election promises, but that one you can count on.

I'll keep an eye on your site to see if there are other questions being asked, and have attached a photo of myself for everyone's amusement.

Glenn Clark

Return to “Penticton”