joeblow
Fledgling

Re: News flash for John Zeger

Post by joeblow »

I talked to him downtown one day.
Vincent Vega

Proposal for John Zeger

Post by Vincent Vega »

I know there is a thread on him already, but I'd like to start this one for a specific topic regarding him if I can.

I know he has some very, very strong ideas about how growth and affordable housing should be handled in Kelowna. I also know he wishes he was the only one allowed to move here from another city to enjoy Kelowna.

Here is my suggestion. If he is elected, he can enjoy the spotlight and vehicle that being a city council member offers to put forth his views as much as he wants.

If however, he gets annihilated again (he came in last place or second to last during the previous election if memory serves me correctly) he agrees to take the hint that the overwhelming majority of the population don't agree with his completely slanted and hypocrital views on how growth should be managed.

He agrees to finally realize the only reason the media continues to publish his letters is because he ticks so many people off and it sells their papers.

He agrees to move to Beaverdell, there isn't much growth there so it should be just the kind of town he is looking for.
onestop67
Guru

Re: John Zeger - Council Candidate

Post by onestop67 »

The problem is he won't think he is wrong or the minority no matter how badly he finishes. He is incapable of seeing that it could be him, not the majority of people that disagree with his vision.
Vincent Vega

CD Zone meeting tonight

Post by Vincent Vega »

I have one other request for Mr Zeger regarding the meeting at the Rotary Center today. Everyone knows what you think, would you please consider attending the meeting and keeping quiet so others have a chnace to speak.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You know, it's too bad because he is a wealth of information regarding important issues that haven't had much exposure on city council to date, but he is so incredibly inept in his people skills that he would be more of a hindrance than a benefit as a member of council.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

After last nights overwhelming show of support from the public (about 95 people spoke and a good 80 supported) the CD zone will Zeger realize his views are completely out of wack with what the majority of the people in Kelowna want. He is going to get embarrassed in the election.

Beaverdell is calling Johnny, don't let the door hit you on the way out :discodance:
Last edited by Vincent Vega on Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Was John Zeger there last night?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

Fancy wrote:Was John Zeger there last night?

He was there and was the first speaker.

You know the bottom line is with this guy is he has a single minded arguement to everything he says, and at the end of the day it is all about him, if he would just say it I'd have more respect for him.

The fact is he came to Kelowna and liked the size and amentities it offered. he doesn't want more people moving here because he would like it to stay exactly the same as it was when he moved here. Just say it

"My name is John Zeger and I don't want anyone else moving here. I want Kelowna to stay the same size as it was when I got here."

Sorry Johnny, why should you have any more right to move here than anyone else?

Like I already said, the public hearing at the Mary Irwin was so overwhelmingly positive, there can be no doubt how the majority of citizens in Kelowna feel about the CD zone.

Zeger can continue to spew his views but I don't think even he can argue the vocal majority spoke loud and clear.

On his website he refers to the surveys that show the public feels the city council has no support and is not tranparent. I'd argue that was because only those unhappy bothered to fill out the survey.
leroibrown

Post by leroibrown »

This fellow has some passion but he is far too confrontational. Having him on council would definitely be a distraction as he is much too argumentative. I know because I am a lot like him. I would not run for council for that reason. Good luck John, I think you'll need it as I would not vote for you. I'm sure that he will get some votes from members of the Downtown Business Association, but I don't think he will get a seat. Sorry John.
politicka

Post by politicka »

There is one thing that speaks for John's, though, he is not afraid to speak up again and again. While apparently very many do not understand that the downtown CD Zone, if adopted will become a ghetto for rich high-income transients, many proponents of the CD Zone truly believe that developers are acting with the public's interest in mind. Isn't it true that developers develop to make a profit? The bigger the better. But I digress. It appears to me that John is concerned that the new area will be for newcomers and those that hold property for all kinds of other purposes, short of being a citizen. Is it OK to build 1800 (or however many) apartments/condos that are beyond affordability for Kelowna's citizens? We already have the ghost strip of Ellis Street, where more than 50% of the condos belong to individuals that do not live in this community.
I want to point out that many candidates seem to forget that council has a duty to make decisions that are to the benefit of Kelowna's current citizenry, not those that might buy new condos for speculatory purposes. Just have a look at the Official Community Plan and see what it states. Council is clearly in violation of their own policies at this point in time.
But hey, let us continue to believe that when the rich are well, then we will be well too. John has understood that is a fallacy. Have the other councilors and future candidates? Who has the guts to say no?
fromph

Post by fromph »

*Remark removed. Keep it civil./Jo
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

politicka wrote:While apparently very many do not understand that the downtown CD Zone,

Or maybe people do understand and do not agree.
TedSwart

Post by TedSwart »

Some few of you have very sensibly suggested that affordable housing should be rented accommodation rather than unfair gifted ownership -- with which I agree.

Zeger is certainly very sensibly opposed to CDZ21 and the public hearing was very far from being evenhanded. For my own personal reaction go to Forums here on Castanet and click on Kelowna followed by a click on Downtown Development Public Hearing. I believe that my description of it as being a surreal experience is completely apt. For a truly excellent defense of the need to have and benefits of having sensible height restrictions next to waterfronts you can do no better than to read Jan Conradi's excellent letter ot the editor -- which was published in both the Daily Courier and Capital News.
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

I will be voting for John. I don't agree with very much he proposes, except some form of affordable housing plan. Yes he can be a pain, but then why not put him on council. There are two reasons maybe three actually
1 He is confrontational, but the guy appears to be honest, and that goes a long way with me
2 John is passionate about his causes, and he will provide an alternate voice for those who don't
always get heard in our society.
3 There are some incumbants who may well get elected even after the lousy way they treated us
the electorate, and what better revenge could be give them collectively. For the next three
years they would have to live with him as an equal on council.

Yup he has my support for an alternate voice, and his confrontational style will keep the honest
Hombre
Fledgling

Post by Hombre »

Taken from Zeger's website:

Q: They have said that you want to shut the doors behind you to newcomers and that you are hypocritical. How do you respond to these accusations?

A (Edited due to length): ...when I moved to the apartment unit in which I live, the previous occupant left the city so the population did not increase at all as a result of my moving here. Therefore, I do not consider myself to be hypocritical in the least and I regret that some people are so petty as to make this an issue. There are many legitimate problems and concerns in this city that they should be focusing on instead.

Hm. So new residents should be allowed, so long as they find current residents to ship out?

This guy wants the city frozen in time.

Return to “Kelowna”