Kelowna Council - General Discussion

Churchhawk

Kelowna Council - General Discussion

Post by Churchhawk »

With the large number of people running for a council position in Kelowna it is going to be really difficult to know who to vote for. Any suggestions?
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Re: KELOWNA COUNCIL CANDIDATES

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Dunno, there are a lot of new faces/names on the list this year.
I'm going to attend that forum at the Mental Health Association on sutherland and watch the candidates talk, I think that will give me a better idea.
Anyone else wanna come, it starts at 6:30 tonight
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelowna Council Candidates

Post by Nebula »

That is one of the reasons why incumbents get elected so often. Name recognition.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

I attended the all candidates forum this evening, and am trying to keep an ear out for others that will be taking place. I've already got a few names on my DO NOT VOTE list.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

mechanic_virus wrote:I attended the all candidates forum this evening, and am trying to keep an ear out for others that will be taking place. I've already got a few names on my DO NOT VOTE list.

All candidate meetings are an excellent opportunity to see how individuals react "under the gun" so to speak, which is a good indication of how they will perform under real-life pressure.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Timi
Fledgling

Post by Timi »

Quoting Kevin Craig from another thread -
Okanagan Mission Residents Association hosting a forum at 7PM on Wednesday Oct 22 at the Christ Lutheran Church on Lakeshore Rd. I currently don't know enough details about the other All Candidates Meetings to post them, but I will when I have the info.

Sounds like this is the next All Candidates Meeting above. How did the one go tonight? Was it long? Was it like a debate? Were questions asked, and answered by each candidate? or was it more like a reception, or social to meet the candidates, and ask them questions yourself?
stay real.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

It was alright - a little chaotic.
The candidates were supplied with a list of 10 questions, each had a minute to introduce themselves, and then names were drawn determining who would speak to each question. Each candidate was assigned two questions to speak to, and they were also given 5 coupons that would allow them a minute to speak to other questions of their choice. 1 minute was not a lot of time for them to be able to address the questions (some were more long-winded than others), and we ended up hearing multiple times from some candidates and very little from others. There was no Q&A period during the forum, there was time to speak to them afterward, but I had to leave right away.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Chmmr
Board Meister

Re: Kelowna Council - General Discussion

Post by Chmmr »

Googling names can also give you a bit of a heads up on associations that are questionable for some potential candidates (one particular one in mind that is new to the race this year)
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Really? which one?
Do you have juicy gossip to share?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Yes, Googling can be interesting. I just discovered that Janice Henry was the VP of the Kelowna chapter of REAL Women of BC, a group with the following purposes:

* to foster and promote the family as the basic unit of society; to defend principals which uphold the Judeo-Christian view of traditional marriage and family and to undertake or facilitate research into areas which impinge on the well-being of the family;
* to gather and disseminate current information, data and research on public and private programs and policies, legislation and implementation of government and agency programs;
* to act in an advisory capacity and to provide a resource base to individuals, families, other groups, and government personnel; and, where necessary, to provide direction and referrals to appropriate resource personnel and/or agencies;
* to recognize the importance of the woman''s role, both within the home and within society, and to encourage efforts that make all career choices financially viable options for women;
* to support efforts for women that provide them with equal opportunity in education, employment and retirement;
* to support the right to life of all innocent individuals from conception to natural death.

Makes me wonder when she ways "will work hard to put faith back in City Hall" whether she means faith as in trust or faith in a religious context.

I dunno
Fledgling

Post by I dunno »

Anyone notice that on the city website, that Robert Hobson is the only one who has refused to provide both a link to a website and a campaign statement. Although he was one of the first to file his papers, he has yet to provide the above. Is this arrogance or not?
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

He's not the only one.

Timi
Fledgling

Post by Timi »

Hobson is actually high on my list of possibilities. I understand that Hobson has been a great resource for council in the past. I have a friend that listens to the council meetings, and I asked her to give me her thoughts on the current councillors who are running again. Sounds like he often knows the answers to the questions that come up; quite knowledgeable.
stay real.
Chmmr
Board Meister

Post by Chmmr »

I agree. From everything i have seen, Robert Hobson is one of the few that i have no questions about when it comes to election day.
Timi
Fledgling

Post by Timi »

So far there's a few forums and chances to meet the candidates in the next couple of weeks. Here's a few I found on Dorothee Birker's website:

Wed., Oct. 22/08 - Okanagan Mission Residents Association Forum: 7pm @ First Lutheran Church, 409 Lakeshore.

Sat., Oct. 25/08 - "How Green is your vote Kelowna" Forum: 2pm @ Okanagan College Lecture Theatre (S104).

Wed., Oct. 29/08 - Glenmore Residents Association Forum: 7pm @ Kelowna Bible Chapel, 1432 Vineland.

Tues., Nov. 4/08 - Uptown Rutland Business Association Forum: 7pm @ Rutland Centennial Hall, 180 Rutland Road.

Wed., Nov. 5/08 - AM 1150 Forum: 7pm @ Mary Irwin Theatre, Rotary Centre for the Arts. Will be broadcast live on AM 1150.

Wed. Nov. 12/08 - All Canidates Meet and Greet: 4:30pm - 9:30pm @ Rotary Centre for the Arts. No speeches will be made...just a chance to meet the candidates one on one.
stay real.

Return to “Kelowna”