Behaviour of Kelowna city council members

Bestside
Guru

Re: Behaviour of Kelowna city council members

Post by Bestside »

Kelowna recently filled the vacant (long time vacant) head of planning position with a guy from the City of Winnipeg.

If you want to see a failed plan for development of a downtown, look at "Portage Place", an attempt to revitalize a four block area in Winnipeg's downtown.

The rest of downtown Winnipeg immediately went into the dumpster...

Planning needs to encompass the entire area. What you don't do is focus on the prime location, the most valuable asset, and give it away expecting the rest of the area to transform magically into a similar asset. When your jewel is gone ... thats the end of that game... it is not available to others.

What you do is preserve that prime area... enlarge it (park space)... You build from the outside in, from the outside walls (tall buildings) into the centre so the prime area (the living room / city park) is always in sight and is the finishing touch after the framework is completed. All development around the entire parimeter contributes through DCCs to enlarging city park to be an attraction for all, as the city itself expands.

Whoever heard of building a house by installing the big plasma TV and the stainless steel appliances before framing up and completeing the structure. That's effectively what they are doing with Kelowna's downtown 4 block area.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
SOMA

Re: Behaviour of Kelowna city council members

Post by SOMA »

unfazed wrote:
SOMA wrote:
nolanrh wrote:Don't assume the "rest of the population" is against this downtown development.

Right on, in fact the majority support this fantastic opportunity to transform the downtown disaster into one of north America's most beautiful and liveable masterplanned neighbourhoods.

And exactly how will this development magically transform the downtown into an instantly livable shangri-la? Its just assumed as a given and I don't buy it. Safe, livable neighbourhoods are built over time, incrementally. Not bulldozed over and then built up from the dirt. Kelowna needs to nurture what little life there is downtown now or else it really will have all the charm and character as a vacant lot.

These things do not happen overnight as you suggest! The point is that now there will be a plan for those with the capabilities and credentials to consider how they might best invest and take risk and bring product to the market to meet the demands and desires of the market. Leaving the butt ugly eye sore downtown as it is is in fact a non plan since the downtown was pronounced dead a long time ago.
CarMa
Übergod

Re: Brian Given - Council Candidate

Post by CarMa »

How did this thread, originally about the "Behaviour of Kelowna City Council Members" become the Brian Given thread? It was a general thread that started with one action of Brian Given and after the first few posts included EVERYONE on council.

I don't understand why an OP is able to change the title of the thread just because it is now election time. People responded to the original title about all members.

This thread is not about Brian Given.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

CarMa wrote:How did this thread, originally about the "Behaviour of Kelowna City Council Members" become the Brian Given thread? It was a general thread that started with one action of Brian Given and after the first few posts included EVERYONE on council.

I don't understand why an OP is able to change the title of the thread just because it is now election time. People responded to the original title about all members.

This thread is not about Brian Given.

The thread started out about Brian Given and development issues, and has kept to that theme.
The original title was much to broad and not really the topic.
The change is more appropriate.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

Well, I disagree. I just looked at your posts from May 19th and they are general in nature and not directed at Brian Given as much as they are about the entire council.

This thread is about development issues, as you just stated, regardless of the event with Brian Given that started it.

It certainly isn't about Brian Given's candidacy as it only targets one issue... an issue that others might want to participate in with regards to the other 30 plus candidates.

Perhaps there are other threads we can dredge up from the past 3 years and attach a candidate's name to them. Under this logic, the Simpson Covenant threads should all now be called "Sharon Shepherd - Mayor Candidate".

Just wrong.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

I get your point... but I just think the title should be more directed to the development issue vis-a-vis the council and not throw it wide open, as the original title did.
The reference to Given ties it to development... but yes... it could be more generic as well... perhaps something like "Council Members Opinions on Downtown Development"
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

Bestside wrote: I just think the title should be more directed to the development issue vis-a-vis the council and not throw it wide open, as the original title did.... perhaps something like "Council Members Opinions on Downtown Development"

I like that. Great idea. Now how do we get someone to change it?
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

I just noticed that the thread "News flash for John Zeger"
has been changed to: "John Zeger - Council Candidate"

The moderators are moving these threads to the election thread in some cases and making them specific to the candidate. I think in most cases they are... but the one attributed to "Given" is more specific to the downtown development and in general to all council opinions. Perhaps a PM to "Jo" could confirm this ...
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Brian would have gotten my vote, but sadly I will not support him this go.
I think his health and family should come first and he has given sufficiently to bow out.
Stress does a multitude of things and possibly his health and the stress of things is really starting to show and rear it's head if he is storming out of things. Not quite how I know or think of him.

SORRY BRIAN BUT NO VOTE FROM THIS FORMER SUPPORTER
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
leroibrown

Post by leroibrown »

Can't vote for someone who walks out of council meetings. He was the only incumbent that I liked but if he is hostile he doesn't belong on council. Sorry Brian but that is how I feel. He was also one of the ones who voted for the St. Paul Street Wet Facility. By giving someone a free place to live so they can afford to buy more booze and dope doesn't seem at all logical to me. They have Crossroads Treatment facility in Rutland for people who want to clean up their act and the one on St. Paul for those who just want to party. How many beers do I have to drink a day to get free rent Brian? Can I just pour them down the drain? :discodance:

Return to “Kelowna”