Doug Findlater - Mayoral Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Doug Findlater - Mayoral Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for Doug Findlater, mayoral candidate.
brightstar
Fledgling

Re: Doug Findlater - Mayoral Candidate

Post by brightstar »

Castanet...on your Westside home page, you are showing Doug Findlater as an incumbent mayor, which is not accurate and unfair to his opponent. Please remove the (i) beside his name.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

I found this from 2003 minutes of Westside Governance Study...

Doug Findlater said that residents of the Westside would respond well to a neutral, transparent
process.

what has happened to change things between 2003 and now?
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

You are right, it should not show an (i) beside Doug Findlater's name.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

Was anyone at the "Westbank" Chamber of Commerce Business Awards last night? Anything that you might want to mention regarding one of the Mayoral Candidates??
cpt64
Board Meister

Post by cpt64 »

chrschar wrote:Was anyone at the "Westbank" Chamber of Commerce Business Awards last night? Anything that you might want to mention regarding one of the Mayoral Candidates??

I was not there but heard that apparently there was some booing when the name West Kelowna came up and Findlater proved his allegiance to the Westbank crowd. Not very professional for a business crowd, if that indeed happened, and even more so for someone who is an elected official who hopes to become Mayor.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

chrschar wrote:Castanet...on your Westside home page, you are showing Doug Findlater as an incumbent mayor, which is not accurate and unfair to his opponent. Please remove the (i) beside his name.

Findlater is presently an incumbent Westside councillor.

Castanet has granted all incumbent councillors running in mayoral races the (i) flag.

We have also granted Westside's present Mayor Neis an (i) as well even
though she is running for Council instead of Mayor.
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

Jo...thanks for the info. Perhaps you could add an asterisk beside the (i) with a footnote at the bottom?
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

Dear Mr Findlater,
Last edited by the_zipper on Oct 26th, 2008, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

Dear Mr. Findlater,
Last edited by the_zipper on Oct 26th, 2008, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

ghostgirl wrote:This is a little of topic but goes to the whole issue regarding current council.

Best and the Worst of........

I waited a week to see if anyone else was going to post regarding the Chamber of Commerce Business Awards dinner. I was an invited guest by someone that was up for a business award. Being that this was my first time to this event, I must say I left with a very bad taste in my mouth and that wasn't from the frozen chicken dinner served either.
I found it so inappropriate during the awards that there was a "little" joke read regarding the naming committee. At one point the hostess was reading of the different choices of the names that would appear on the ballot. West Kelowna was mentioned more than half of the attendance booed, (yet cheered at Westbank). Now, if that was not bad enough there was Doug Findlater sitting with his bunch of cohorts smiling, nodding his head in approval, like the cat that had just swallowed the cannery. He, (they) seemed very pleased with (themselves)and the crowds reaction. It was only to obvious where this little joke came from. With this issue being on an election ballot, I found this joke very distasteful. This whole group should be ashamed of how they try to manipulate this in their favor. How will this ever work if the select few in Westbank rights over ride the vast remaining electoral area? Be careful Westside because you could end up as Westbank, with their only concerns for the downtown core. Because of this behavior, my vote in this election was made immediately for West Kelowna, because of this obvious manipulation by the Chamber and perspective mayor and council candidates.

Ghostgirl, are you serious? Thank you for posting this and informing us of the behaviour of those candidates involved. This information should be sent to the media so they can do a follow-up story on it....at the least, a letter to the editor. I had heard rumours that this happened, but I was waiting to hear from someone who had actually witnessed it. How unbelievable!!

I'd like to know who the "hostess" was. Does the Chamber of Commerce not understand that their responsibility is to represent the ENTIRE Westside not just their "clicky" little Westbank neighbourhood? Perhaps it's time to also get some new representation at the Chamber as well as on council?

I certainly hope voters are paying attention to all of this!
MaryEM

Post by MaryEM »

Yes, I am very serious. This whole evening was a farce. How about the new category for aboriginal business award. Chief Louie got up called out the nominees and there was not one person there to represent First Nations and their business or except the award. Hello??? WFN does not give a rats grass about Westbank, they probably would rather see it fail. AND on behalf of J K Schmidt Jewelery:
"Frankly Scarlett, we do give a damn!" A VERY bad Freudian slip, was the icing on the cake.
MC and award presenters should never be aloud to drink until the presentation is over. A very tacky evening indeed.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Hi Ghostgirl...

Do you know who the speaker was that made the naming committee joke and do you recall what the joke was?

Also, wasn't sure I understood your JK Schmidt reference, the "frankly scarlett" comment. What was the comment they made?
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
MaryEM

Post by MaryEM »

I meant to bring the program home and forgot. I am sure that someone has a copy of it. The lady was the MC of the evening and she read from a prepared script, the whole naming committee "joke". I must say the when the whole thing unfolded I was quite shocked and I do not remember it word for word.... From my memory, the names on the ballot: West Kelowna, close to two thirds of the room booed. Westbank, they all cheered. BUT, I do remember sitting there watching Doug Findlater's (and table) positive response to the whole thing. That what shocked me, they all seemed very pleased with themselves. Again, I was not the only person there.....How come no one else has not said anything? I was watching the political goings on. The whole "joke" does not matter, the fact that it was even done is what matters. Ethics, Body language, speak louder than words.
I have watched these " boys" at work for several years now. Nothing surprises me anymore.
NoOne
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NoOne »

i also know someone who went ( very pro westbank ) and they said they laughed and booed and had a great time. biased or unbiased i think i would believe someone that was there then a response from a politician before election day.

Return to “Westside”