Crystal Wariach - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Crystal Wariach - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for Crystal Warlach, council candidate.
Crystal Wariach

Re: Crystal Wariach - Council Candidate

Post by Crystal Wariach »

Please feel free to email at [email protected] with any questions, comments or concerns. My website will be up shortly.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Glad you could join us, Crystal. People will likely be posting their questions and comments here in the thread, and you are very welcome to join in the conversation.
nellietheelephant
Fledgling

Post by nellietheelephant »

Crystal Wariach wrote:Please feel free to email at [email protected] with any questions, comments or concerns. My website will be up shortly.

Here's a question Crystal - why should we vote for you?
It would be greatly appreciated if you would omit the usual generalities, and all of the stuff that you think everyone would just love to hear (everyone does that) and give us some unique and compelling reasons why you should get this one in eight vote.

Do that and ya might just win some - right here!

Nellie
stefzaz

Post by stefzaz »

She needs to put a link or some info in the city website, candidate section. I narrowed down my search for who to vote for by who had something on that site and the castanet site, and the length of time they have lived in Kelowna. (I figure they shouldn't be making decisions for Kelowna if they can't be bothered or can't figure out how to post something on there or if they've lived in Kelowna less than 15 years)
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I emailed Crystal and received a very detailed email that responded to my concerns quite well. I personally don't feel that length of time lived here should be a huge consideration as many long-timers become apathetic and lose their impetus.

Crystal does not appear jaded nor cynical, she is accesible and enthusiastic. She cares enough about to Kelowna to run for council - all good points in my opinion. :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
stefzaz

Post by stefzaz »

Campaign statement: "I firmly believe that we as a city need a signature yearly event that caters to people of all ages"

For the record we did....it was called Regatta in the summer and Snowfest in the winter...two great events that died due to lack of volunteers and funding.
kimdodman

Post by kimdodman »

Well from going to high school with Crystal I know she is an intelligent person. Crystal would be a fresh young face that could be beneficial to Kelowna City Council. She might be the change Kelowna needs to get the Regatta and Snowfest back up and running. I know that she would provide very good insights to subjects that need to be addressed to Kelowna.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Please list 5 of your top priorities, and how you would deal with each issue if it were completely up to you.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Crystal Wariach

mechanic_virus wrote:Please list 5 of your top priorities, and how you would deal with each issue if it were completely up to you.

These are my 5 priorities for Kelowna (in no particular order). I am highlighting some key points on all of them, and I realize each area can be reviewed more extensively.

1) ARTS & CULTURE
Attract affordable, family friendly events to the city by working with private event promoters.
Establish a signature yearly event that caters to people of all ages. We need to promote and create excitement so tourists and local residents alike look forward to coming out and enjoying themselves.
Encourage commercial development that would see a multi-activity (climbing wall, arcade etc) facility built so children have options to participate in safe and fun activities.

2) DEVELOPMENT & GROWTH
Work with developers to ensure we build communities rather than ‘subdivisions’, which include leisure amenities such as green space and playgrounds.
Ensure that we protect agricultural lands and instead increase density in current developments.
Support environmentally and socially sustainable development in all areas that fall within zoning guidelines; increase density, medium to high in areas as appropriate to help control urban sprawl.
Allow for the approval of secondary suites through the development permit process to expedite the creation of new suites in order to alleviate the rental availability crunch in areas where it is density appropriate.

3) TRANSIT
“Accessible, Available, & Usable”
Increase frequency on all routes to make transit a viable option for citizens in all areas and increase the hours transit is in operation.
Establish transit exchanges in more areas to complement the current Orchard
Park and Queensway exchanges.
Provide late night service on selected major routes to ease the downtown ‘bar
flush’ situation.
Increase Handy-Dart access through more readily available service and shorter
booking and wait times.
Maintain current and further create bike lanes and sidewalks to promote green
options.

4) POVERTY & HOMELESSNESS
Establish “safe, accessible, & affordable” housing through implementing key
policies outlined in the Mayor’s Report on Homelessness & working with
PHATCO. In addition, establish a continuum of housing in order for individuals to
transition successfully.
Seek provincial funding and work with BC Housing to financially support current
programs and create new ones to create units.
Establish solid social programs (for rehab, re-training) that complement current ones through working with out-reach societies so individuals can receive assistance in an effective manner.
Work with developers to integrate affordable units in all developments or provide
the “cash-in-lieu option”
Increase funding to outreach societies and fund new front-line programs for at-
risk individuals.

5) COMMUNICATION
Open up communication lines and transparency between City Hall and citizens
through regular forums and open houses.
Provide citizens increased options for receiving information through increased
public advertising, and by using online forums / sites.
Communicate notices and events to residents associations.
Increase youth engagement by holding a monthly forum at UBCO and OC.

Our city is at a crucial growth point and a significant demographic shift. As a result, we need to ensure that as we move forward, we do so in a manner that is environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable. Here are some of my comments on each of those three factors:

1) Environmental Sustainability:
Promote and educate developers, builders, and citizens on green options such as solar energy; water conservation, pollution reduction; and LEED. I believe one way of doing this would be through property tax reduction incentives and subsidies for those developers who utilize green technology throughout their projects. In addition, I believe we should establish a sustainability facilitator position in the planning department so that developers have someone to directly work with.
Ensure future municipal facilities are built green friendly and lead the way in sustainability
measures.

2) Economic Sustainability:
We need to encourage business growth locally to ensure that local college/university grads and new to the area individuals can attain employment.
Kelowna is not a single industry town, but at the same time we need to ensure we offer attractive job opportunities for new workforce entrants by encouraging businesses to expand and by promoting Kelowna as a city that is open and economically feasbile for businesses looking to relocate.
The agricultural industry is a large part of Kelowna. As a result, we need to help support the local famers by purchasing local and encouraging local stores to carry local produce. With the economic down turn, the industry has been heavily impacted due to several years of poor returns and we can help by purchasing what we normally would, but making sure its local.

3) Social Sustainability:
As Kelowna continues to grow, we need work to transition and become a city that is inclusive of all its citizens from students, to young families, to homeless individuals, to seniors on fixed income. We must address and end homelessness (as mentioned above) to ensure that Kelowna caters to people of all income levels. Furthermore, we need to work with developers to make sure that new developments integrate all levels of incomes into their projects through providing a widely accomodating price range. Those who wish not include affordable units, should be mandated to utilize the cash-in-lieu option to make sure that they are contributing to our community at some level. With the demographic shift, we need to be able to retain individuals such as doctors, nurses in order to have sufficient levels of necessity services, and this can be done only by creating affordable housing.

I am ready to discuss any of these issues or any other concerns in more detail, please email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you. I will also be on this forum more regularly to answer questions.
Last edited by Crystal Wariach on Nov 8th, 2008, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Thanks, Crystal.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Crystal Wariach

Hi Everyone,

I have had several people ask me my opinion on the CD Zone and Simpson Covenant Issue so I thought I'd also post it on here for everyone.

CD Zone & Downtown
I believe we need to revitalize the downtown to create a vibrant, inclusive, and prosperous core. I feel that we can achieve this by: integrating cultural, civic, residential, commercial, and retail space; making the entire area pedestrian/cyclist friendly and well serviced by transit; ensuring we preserve green space and park land; establishing safe streets and safe public spaces; integrating income levels; and preserving some of the heritage that's there.

As a result of my vision, I broadly support the CD Zone but would only fully support it with some modifications.
1. I believe we need to look at the rest of the downtown area before going through with proposals as the entire area needs to be well planned, not just the four blocks.
2. I believe that some of the heritage sites/frontage need to be preserved to help create and maintain a cultural richness.
3. I believe we need to reduce the heights on some of the towers (I believe that we need to minimize height on any waterfront buildings and minimize the number of waterfront buildings built, to keep it public friendly. I would look at proposals to see what the project offers (affordable units, public space, daycare amenities etc )before supporting a number of stories for the rest of the towers.
4. I believe we need to have increased public input on not just the CD Zone. but on the entire downtown OCP, and how these plans will be integrated.

Simpson Covenant:
I fully support the Simpson Covenant as I believe that the city should have honored it all along instead of wasting tax payer money on large legal bills. The property in question was given to the City in good faith for public use, and I believe we should honour the commitment by preserving it for all individuals to enjoy. The original intentions of both parties should be honored as anything else would simply be setting a negative precedent for future donors who wish to entrust the City with property for public usage. The property holds hertiage value and the waterfront green space is a community jewel. I don't believe we need to eliminate such a shared public place through development or limiting access. The Covenant has zoning implications in regards to commerical activity, and some feel that this could be enforced to eliminate all commerical activity such as hot dog vendors etc. I disagree with this type of extreme enforcement as these small scale vendors provide and aide in enjoyment, and are utilized by the public. The Simpson Covenant ensures that we have a prime area that remains open to the public, and I do believe in consultation with the Simpson family, if possible, some sort of community civic centre could be built on the lands in the future. This would beneficial once again to all residents.
Crystal Wariach

Well, today is 'E-Day'. The campaign has been an exciting experience with a great batch candidates competing. I just wanted to thank everyone on the forums for their questions and comments. It has been a wonderful experience to interact with everyone not only on the forums, but also through door knocking and All Candidate Forums. I hope everyone takes the time out of their day to cast a ballot and help shape Kelowna's future.

Thank you.
Crystal Wariach

Return to “Kelowna”