Robert Hobson - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Robert Hobson - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

This thread is for Robert Hobson, council candidate.
leroibrown

Re: Robert Hobson - Council Candidate

Post by leroibrown »

I don't care how much experience this man has. We must remember that he was the one along with Barrie Clark that said the people don't understand how hard is is to find good city employees and that is why the two of them suggested that the city provide free daycare for city employees that would be paid for by the taxpayers. He must understand that this was a big mistake and amounts to political suicide. That is likely the reason Mr. Clark bowed out as he knew we would remember. Let's show Hobson that we understand and not vote for him. Twenty years on council is long enough. He voted to remove the Simpson Covenant and for the St. Paul Street Wet Facility. He has enough on his plate being on the CORD. Let's show him that the taxpayers are boss and not re-elect him or any of the incumbents. They have all shown they cannot be trusted for another term. Replace all council including Shepherd. For that matter let's replace the entire staff at city hall. :runforlife:
nellietheelephant
Fledgling

Post by nellietheelephant »

leroibrown wrote:I don't care how much experience this man has. We must remember that he was the one along with Barrie Clark that said the people don't understand how hard is is to find good city employees and that is why the two of them suggested that the city provide free daycare for city employees that would be paid for by the taxpayers. He must understand that this was a big mistake and amounts to political suicide. That is likely the reason Mr. Clark bowed out as he knew we would remember. Let's show Hobson that we understand and not vote for him. Twenty years on council is long enough. He voted to remove the Simpson Covenant and for the St. Paul Street Wet Facility. He has enough on his plate being on the CORD. Let's show him that the taxpayers are boss and not re-elect him or any of the incumbents. They have all shown they cannot be trusted for another term. Replace all council including Shepherd. For that matter let's replace the entire staff at city hall. :runforlife:

In my opinion he has made a lot of mistakes this term -
Free daycare was a bomb - I'm not paying it.
Remove Simpson Covenant - stupid and wrong.
St Paul Street Wet Facility - demonstrated how out of touch he was.

But - of the 36 running, he is still in the top eight.
So I'm supporting him yet again - there are a lot of loonies running this time!

Nellie
roberm

Post by roberm »

Free daycare for employees is a fantastic idea, and one that many leading employers throughout the world have adopted (i.e. Patagonia clothing company). The fact that Mr. Hobson suggested the idea shows his foresight and the fact that he cares for those employees at the City of Kelowna.

When it comes to the St. Paul wet house I was originally against the proposal. Being someone who would be directly affected by the construction of the wet house (I work on the St. Paul) I didn't want such a facility in my "neighbourhood". After putting some critical thought into it, I soon realized that it had to go somewhere, and if it didn't go on St. Paul St. it would only get displaced into another neighbourhood, possibly closer to residential neighbourhoods where children and families are in abundance. In the end, I came around and support the project getting rid of the NIMBY (not in my back yard) philosophy.

As for the Simpson Covenant, I am not up to speed on the issue, but trust that the decisions were made in the best interest of the public. I wonder about the appeal, but what is done is done.

Robert Hobson may have some skeletons in the closet that people are upset about, however after 20 years the majority of the decisions that he has deliberated on have greatly benifited the City of Kelowna, and I guarantee that he is still a better choice than many of the other candidates. If you don't agree with me that Mr. Hobson is a worthy candidate, at the very least you should vote for Mr. Hobson to save Kelowna from the inexperience and ineptitude of many of the other candidates.
stefzaz

Post by stefzaz »

The guy doesn't seem like he is open to other people's suggestions or ideas. He shops where I work, and is snobby. The Simpson Covenant should be left alone. Especially after they took it to court and lost. Why waste more money and appeal?? He's had his time on council, move on. (Same goes for Andre B)
bartlikesimpson

Post by bartlikesimpson »

I don't agree with using taxpayer dollars to pay for daycare. If city employee's get it why not the rest of the "taxpayers" in Kelowna with children. If you have children, that is the cost of raising them. It should not be the burden of the general taxpayer. A private company can use extra funds to woo empoloyees, not a municiple organization that receives its funding through taxes.

The Simpson covenant should be honoured! The city signed a contract and therefore should abide bye it. What are they telling the rest of us, it's alright to sign a contract and later if you don't like what you agreed to you can change your mind. That is exactly why a contract was put in place, to avoid such things from happening. It may not be what Hobson or the mayor believes is best for the property, but it was a signed contract and thus should be upheld. I personally would like to see more green space in Kelowna, we definitely need more of it!

As for Hobson, I believe his time has come to be replaced. He has made some great contributions, but new outlooks, perspectives and innovations are desperately needed on city council. I also don't think the entire council should be replaced, experience is essential in leading a community, which leads to the question "who stays and who is replaced?" I may believe Hobson should be replaced, but by whom I don't yet know.
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

I can understand the free daycare episode, and I agree with him there as it is a sign of the times
in the civilized world, that is those not of the third world, lol
The issues that upset me is the covanent and that was the last straw, sorry I will not vote for any
incumbant this time round
Timi
Fledgling

Post by Timi »

Does someone have a link to that story? If memory serves me right, it wasn't free daycare. They were proposing that city employees would be paying for the daycare, but it was going to be located in unused office space owned by the city. Therefore, because the space would not have to be rented, the savings in cost was going to be passed on. But, I don't recall it being free. The idea was dropped soon after though.
stay real.
rhobson

Post by rhobson »

This is Robert--the candidate! Please take responsibility for being accurate in your comments. I have never advocated free day car for city staff--only that we look at providing space that would be paid for by employees--exactly as happens with private sector employers.

I've no idea who the gentleman who says I am "snobby" is or where he works but his allegation is untrue and a smear that hurts me deeply.

As for the Simpson covenant, I am on record as not supporting an appeal of the Court's decision on this issue. I accept that a trust has been created and am happy to live with the conditions of that trust. In fact, I was the councillor that encouraged Council to place a new covenant on the waterfront.

If you have any questions for me please email me at [email protected] and get the facts.

Thanks. Robert Hobson
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

While he has been in local politics for a long time, I don't think that's a very good reason for kicking him out. He is the only incumbent I will vote for.

I am not voting for him, because I agree with all his stances. In fact I disagree with many of them.
He has the cities best interests at heart, even if they are sometimes misguided.
I would rather see him run as mayor instead of councilor, but he didn't make the choice.
leroibrown

Post by leroibrown »

Robert Hobson for Mayor. He's had his kick at the can, twenty years worth. Mr. Hobson I watched you on the news telling us ,the people, that we don't understand. I'm sorry mister but it is you that doesn't understand. I would never vote for you. You may have been on council for twenty years, but you don't belong there anymore.

I know it was Barrie Clark who came up with this idea of free daycare for city employees, but you backed him on it. No sense trying to back peddle your way out of it now that it is election time. What about the employees that don't have children, free property taxes? The Wet Facility is a complete joke as it let's drunks and druggies have a free place to stay so they have more money for booze and dope. I know it was only Shepherd , Letnick and Blanliel who voted against it. It's not a question of its location, such a place should not exist at all. It's as dumb of an idea as the Safe Injection Site in Vancouver for heroin addicts.

Up in Rutland we have Crossroads Treatment Center for people who want to get off of dope and booze, which doesn’t work most of the time as I know they get a lot of repeat customers. Now downtown you have a place for those who just want to party. Anyone who has ever experienced people with addiction problems, and I have, knows the only way they will stop, is when they decide to stop themselves. You can spend all the money you want but until they want to stop, they won’t. Ever watched the television show Intervention, that’s what they preach. It is the truth. I know from experience. Don’t waste the taxpayers money!

As for Mr. Hobson, I don't care how much experience he has. The only way for people to get experience is to give them a chance. I'm glad Colin Day, Carol Gran ,Barrie Clarke and Norm Letnick have moved on so that some newcomers can get their chance to experience sitting on council. Too bad the rest of the incumbents didn't do the same. Remember when you started on council Robert, you had no experience either. You already have enough on your plate being on the C.O.R.D. You don't look like a very big eater to me. Hope you don't get re-elected as you've worn out your welcome already.

I'm sure Clarke stepped aside because he knew his free daycare idea did enough damage to him to ensure he would not get in for another term. Hopefully your backing that idea will be enough to ruin your chances as well.

As far as the person saying there are not enough candidates that have experience, and are inept and loonie, look at the last three years if you want to see inept and loonie. We've experienced inept and loonie. There are many candidates that have common sense. The Wet Facility and trying to remove the Simpson Covenant were two of the looniest and inept moves ever made. Political blunders would be a good description. Many of the candidates running are highly educated individuals that have some great ideas. They deserve a chance. Hobson and the other incumbents have had their chance and have proven they can no longer be trusted.

I would be have been all for the free daycare if Hobson and Clarke were the child minder’s. They could set up a play area in council chambers. Clarke could have changed babies diapers and Hobson could read stories to the little tykes. Then at least they would have something to show for what they did to earn their paycheques on council. How about it Robert? The taxpayers would have enjoy that I bet. I know I would have. Then it wouldn’t have cost the taxpayers anymore than they are already paying! You could have even video recorded it and sold the DVD’s!
I already know who I’m voting for. There isn’t one incumbent on my list. I do however wish that Sharon Shepherd would have had more challengers for her seat. She needs replacing too. Remember politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often, and for the same reason. Twenty years is long enough. Don't you think Robert? Have a nice day!!!
:sillygrin:
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

leroibrown wrote:Robert Hobson for Mayor. He's had his kick at the can, twenty years worth. Mr. Hobson I watched you on the news telling us ,the people, that we don't understand. I'm sorry mister but it is you that doesn't understand. I would never vote for you. You may have been on council for twenty years, but you don't belong there anymore.
I do not know Robert Hobson personally, but he comes across as fair and balanced. He has served Kelowna well and has work experience and education that complement him as a city councillor.
I know it was Barrie Clark who came up with this idea of free daycare for city employees, but you backed him on it. No sense trying to back peddle your way out of it now that it is election time.
The daycare was NOT FREE!!! It was to be located to serve city employees so that they would be able to have their children adequately cared for. Whether you like it or not, many of the city employees have young children. Corporations and businesses all over the world have on-site daycares. This is not a new idea...only new for Kelowna. The employees would still pay for the service, it would just be on-site. BTW, it was a good idea and should be followed up on. What about the employees that don't have children, free property taxes?
That statement just serves to make you sound dumb.
The Wet Facility is a complete joke as it let's drunks and druggies have a free place to stay so they have more money for booze and dope. I know it was only Shepherd , Letnick and Blanliel who voted against it. It's not a question of its location, such a place should not exist at all. It's as dumb of an idea as the Safe Injection Site in Vancouver for heroin addicts.
It is obvious that you know nothing about addiction. By voting for the Wet Facility, Hobson showed a sense of understanding and compassion with regard to those who suffer from addictions. Research has shown that supported treatment and housing is more effective and ultimatly more cost effective than homelessness/hospital emergency visits, etc.
Up in Rutland we have Crossroads Treatment Center for people who want to get off of dope and booze, which doesn’t work most of the time as I know they get a lot of repeat customers.
How does this have ANYTHING to do with Robert Hobson?
Now downtown you have a place for those who just want to party. Anyone who has ever experienced people with addiction problems, and I have, knows the only way they will stop, is when they decide to stop themselves. You can spend all the money you want but until they want to stop, they won’t. Ever watched the television show Intervention, that’s what they preach. It is the truth. I know from experience. Don’t waste the taxpayers money!
Ignoring the problem does not save the taxpayers anything. The efforts of Interior Health and non-profit societies are not Hobson's to take credit or blame for.

As for Mr. Hobson, I don't care how much experience he has. The only way for people to get experience is to give them a chance. I'm glad Colin Day, Carol Gran ,Barrie Clarke and Norm Letnick have moved on so that some newcomers can get their chance to experience sitting on council. Too bad the rest of the incumbents didn't do the same.
Serving on City Council is not like attending a tea party. It would be concerning if all the city councillors were inexperienced. Experience is worth a great deal more than you realize in both politics and business. Those, like yourself, that seem to have all the answers, do not understand the questions.
Remember when you started on council Robert, you had no experience either.
I am sure he remembers the challenges and I bet he had some more experienced councillors to mentor him. Also, he had related education and work experience and a dedication to the community as a member of a family with a long history in Kelowna and area.
You already have enough on your plate being on the C.O.R.D. You don't look like a very big eater to me. Hope you don't get re-elected as you've worn out your welcome already.
I hope he does get re-elected because he still has much to offer our community. You don't get to hold the position of C.O.R.D. that he does unless you are respected by the rest of the members.
I'm sure Clarke stepped aside because he knew his free daycare idea did enough damage to him to ensure he would not get in for another term. Hopefully your backing that idea will be enough to ruin your chances as well.
You are repeating yourself, so I will do the same. THE DAYCARE WAS NOT TO BE FREE! And actually it was a GOOD idea. And no, I do not work for the city and I do not have children that need daycare.
As far as the person saying there are not enough candidates that have experience, and are inept and loonie, look at the last three years if you want to see inept and loonie. We've experienced inept and loonie. There are many candidates that have common sense.
You exhibit very little evidence of common sense yourself with your inflammatory and inaccurate statements, so that begs the question as to whether or not you can identify common sense in others?
The Wet Facility and trying to remove the Simpson Covenant were two of the looniest and inept moves ever made. Political blunders would be a good description. Many of the candidates running are highly educated individuals that have some great ideas. They deserve a chance. Hobson and the other incumbents have had their chance and have proven they can no longer be trusted.
Hobson agreed with the Simpson Covenant and the Wet Facility was ONE decision out of the multitude that the council makes. Not everyone thinks the Wet Facility was a bad decision.
I would be have been all for the free daycare if Hobson and Clarke were the child minder’s. They could set up a play area in council chambers. Clarke could have changed babies diapers and Hobson could read stories to the little tykes. Then at least they would have something to show for what they did to earn their paycheques on council. How about it Robert? The taxpayers would have enjoy that I bet. I know I would have. Then it wouldn’t have cost the taxpayers anymore than they are already paying! You could have even video recorded it and sold the DVD’s!
The last statement reveals your true nature and thus, I will refrain from stating the obvious. I already know who I’m voting for. There isn’t one incumbent on my list. I do however wish that Sharon Shepherd would have had more challengers for her seat. She needs replacing too.
I don't know who I am voting for, but after reading your posts, for sure I am voting for Robert Hobson. After reading your tirade I fear that YOU are running for council!
Remember politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often, and for the same reason.
Some forums posts are the same way, I think. Perhaps you should challenge yourself to change your manner of posting uninformed drival because the stink you are trying to raise is only sullying yourself.
Twenty years is long enough. Don't you think Robert? Have a nice day!!!
Let's make it a few more. Robert Hobson has done a lot more for this community than most of us, including you.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
leroibrown

Post by leroibrown »

Piecemaker: No I am not running for council as I would not want to sit in the same room with Robert, Andre, Sharon and Michelle Rule, should they be fortunate enough to get re-elected for another term. Good luck to all of them, they'll need it.

I remember the free daycare plan and it was just that, free. It wasn't until the city was inundated with furious complaints about it that Hobson changed his tune and revamped this ridiculous notion. Tell the truth for once Hobson. Why would anyone have opposed the city giving up unused office space? It doesn’t make any sense. You know it, so stop lying.

You changed the original idea Barrie came up with after the complaints started coming in. I myself e-mailed a complaint directly to you, that went unanswered. Then it was dropped altogether because it was still a silly idea from the get go. The city didn’t want anymore complaints about it. That’s why it was the idea was scrapped. That is obvious.

So don't tell me that I'm not accurate Hobson. I am not the only one who was ticked off about this. All the ones who saw this will likely not be voting for Mr. Hobson. I'm sure it is the real reason why Barrie Clark isn't running again. Free daycare isn’t even given to low income people anymore. The people who really need it. If there is going to be free daycare it should be like it used to be, for lower income folks. The provincial government subsidized it.

City employees have one of the best benefit packages going including a great pension plan. The reason it’s hard to find good employees is because the cost of living in Kelowna is so high. Even the RCMP have a hard time getting officers to come here. It was also on the news last year. They make $35 per hour and they don't want to live here because housing is so out of reach. People want to live where they can prosper not just scrape by. This is getting to be a city for millionaires, like the ones on our current council. Now that the construction boom is coming to an end people will be leaving this city. Hard to live here on minimum wage. That's for sure.

I'm not the only one who is not voting for any incumbents. We are less forgiving and will not let these candidates off the hook for their atrocities. I wouldn't vote for Hobson if he was the only candidate. The Wet Facility is a joke and now taxpayers are paying to house addicts. This was also a huge mistake. None of you have any idea how wrong this is. It's like trying to put out fires with gasoline.

Treating addicts like they are the victims is the worst thing you could ever do. Then they take advantage of the situation and milk it for all it's worth. I know as I know people who have wasted their life savings feeding a junkies habit. The best way to combat the drug problem is through education so that children don’t start on drugs. The ones who are already addicts have to make up their own minds when they decide to quit. I know this as I quit drugs on my own without wasting anyone else’s time or money. Ask Crossroads how many repeat customers they get. I know of someone who went there six times and is still an addict. You can’t force rehabilitation on someone who doesn’t want to quit. This is a proven fact. They must want it and then they will change. Giving addicts a free place to live is just dumb. Making the taxpayers pay for it is even dumber.

The new council will not need any mentors like Hobson or his co-councillors. The will learn from the mistakes of the current administration. They will likely have more common sense as well. There are a lot of intelligent candidates running, ones who know right from wrong. Unlike the ones we have now. We had enough and it's time to change. You know what I mean Piecemaker. Politicians and diapers.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Please list 5 of your top priorities, and how you would deal with each issue if it were completely up to you.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Re Piecemaker's comment that "Research has shown that supported treatment and housing is more effective and ultimatly more cost effective than homelessness/hospital emergency visits, etc." in treating drug and alcohol addicts.

Actually, recent research has shown that the therapeutic approach to addictions is largely ineffective, in part because it quickly becomes another form of dependency for people who have already shown a susceptibility to dependency. It also removes from the addict any sense of buying into their own rehabilitation as it is seen as just another disease for which they have little or no responsibility. Hence the recidivism rate. Treatment of addictions is, thankfully, beginning in some places to move beyond the therapeutic approach.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014

Return to “Kelowna”