Toby Pike - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Toby Pike - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

This thread is for Toby Pike, council candidate.
omisimaw
Guru

Re: Toby Pike - Council Candidate

Post by omisimaw »

Absolutely - he will get our votes for sure!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
nellietheelephant
Fledgling

Post by nellietheelephant »

iamwoman wrote:Absolutely - he will get our votes for sure!

One issue candidates are non-runners.
Let's find more who have invested in the city,
rather than salaried employees who win - win or lose!

Nellie
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

He has little to no experience in municipal affairs. He's a single-issue candidate. Why does he deserve your vote?

One thing I noticed driving by his home a few years ago was rather shocking. He had a large oil patch on his steep driveway from a leaky engine seal on a vehicle, and that driveway washed right into a storm drain. We all know where those storm drains go: across the street was Brandt's Creek, an important ecosystem that drains into our largest water reservoir from which 80% of us get our drinking water - Okanagan Lake. I wish I had a camera with me that day.

The man preaches that he's the Saviour for our drinking water, and would like to see your camping, fishing, hiking, etc in watersheds severly curtailed or stopped completely. However, he is perhaps of the idea that the standards he wants set for the rest of us shouldn't apply to him? :hailjo:

We have ENOUGH hypocrites on City Council, in my opinion.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Toby is well respected and very well aware of local government issues, policies and procedures. He has been the manager of the SEKID for many, many years and IS a champion of our water.
If you knew him, as we do, you would not have the audacity to call him a hypocrate. He is exactly what we need for a reasonable sense approach to government within our city and most definitely would have an upper hand on the outrageous acts of the staff in city hall which at the best of times show the staff are running the show over the elected officials.
Salaried employee? Gee I think that approach would shorten the list including the other lady running for mayor. How short sighted and arrogant a view is that!
As to investing in the City well quite frankly I think he has done a marvellous job of championing the causes of the city, especially in the SE area, but also with his long standing commitment to the water boards and issues for the whole of the valley.

VOTE TOBY!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

iamwoman wrote:If you knew him, as we do, you would not have the audacity to call him a hypocrate.

So you don't believe his actions to be hypocritical? What, pray tell, would you call them then? What's "audacious" about the instance I pointed out?

Seems you have a personal relationship that may be clouding your objectivity.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Fisher-Dude wrote:
iamwoman wrote:If you knew him, as we do, you would not have the audacity to call him a hypocrate.

So you don't believe his actions to be hypocritical? What, pray tell, would you call them then? What's "audacious" about the instance I pointed out?

Seems you have a personal relationship that may be clouding your objectivity.

There is no PERSONAL relationship at all but there has been a long standing business relationship both with his SEKID position and his position with in local government committess.

You are basing your comments on what? A drive by a persons personal residence?

"He had a large oil patch on his steep driveway from a leaky engine seal on a vehicle, "

Seems you know him more personally than anyone if you know where he lives. Wonder what people would say if they drove by your home? Who says the stain came from an engine seal, who says it was not there for many many years prior the current owner taking possession?

Personally I do not vote based on what a person's driveway looks like and I do not expect every person who owns a driveway in Kelowna to rip it up because there is a visible stain on it.

I am quite sure he has taken every reasonable precaution possible to not endanger the environment, that is just who he is! That I do know.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

You're grasping at straws by making hypothetical excuses, as you're blinded by your admiration for the man. Go ahead and vote for him then, as it's unlikely that by pointing out your obvious refusal to see him for what happened, that I'll change your mind. However, I know that a gooey patch (not a "stain" as you so watered it down to be) of oil on a steep driveway with a nearby storm drain equals water pollution that flows into our drinking water. Mr Pike has a problem with my desire to go fishing at McCulloch Dam, yet I think he should clean up his OWN front yard first! Yes, IN MY OPINION.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

leroibrown

Post by leroibrown »

Hey Fisher Dude; How can you call Toby a hypocrite? I've read his platform and he seems to be very well educated on the subject of water quality. He also seems to have more common sense than anyone on our current council, which all need to be replaced in my eyes. Toby seems to be a very itelligent individual and I do not have a personal reationship with this fellow. I will definitely be voting for him. As far as your fishing in McCullough Dam, since I was a young child I have had a big problem with gas powered engines polluting our drinking water. If you can't understand that maybe it is you that are the hypocrite. Toby would and will make a great addition to our all new city council. He has my vote for sure. I don't give a damn about your fishing problem. There are lots of places you could go fishing that would not pollute our water sources. Mr. Pike seems to know a lot more than you do so in the future if you want to see a hypocrite, look in the mirror.
roberm

Post by roberm »

As a concerned citizen who cares about the quality of the water that I drink, the amount of water available to us, the general population, and the downstream effects that we, as a society, have on the lake and other communities within the Valley, I will vote for Pike. The fact that some people are more concerned about recreational fishing opportunities, rather than looking at the health of the watershed, which ironically includes the fish downstream, highlights how narrow minded and foolish they are.

Toby Pike has put the well being and health of the community before the fishing needs of a few, immediately telling me that he is working for the betterment of Kelowna`s general population.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

How misguided and easily led the sheeple are! You have NO research in front of you that indicates ANY type of problem with shared use of our watersheds, but you've certainly taken Mr Pike's ramblings as gospel. Have either of you ever read any scientific study about the effects of recreational fishing on our upland lakes in relation to water quality? Well I HAVE, and the effect is non-existant!

The water flowing FROM our reservoirs is top quality. The pollution occurs downstream, from cattle and other animals contaminating our water sources. Yet, you instantly blame groups of outdoorspeople for everything. Do you have ANY idea how much time, effort, and money is donated by outdoors groups in education, clean up, and protection of our watersheds? No, I didn't think you did. When was the last time you volunteered to put up cattle fencing? When was the last time you volunteered to help in a stream restoration project? Check out the activities of your local rod & gun club and see what they've contributed in these areas - you will get a big surprise. Expect to eat lots of crow when you do.

Do you realize that the Conservation Officer Service is fully funded by fishing and hunting license sales - yes, the officials responsible for policing environmental/pollution infractions in our watersheds are PAID FOR by fishers and hunters. Yet you seek to ban the very pursuits that fund the protection of our watersheds, and support a like-minded candidate. How ironic!

Hunters and fishermen were the FIRST conservationists in British Columbia. Yet, they are also FIRST on the attack lists of you city-slickers who are so ignorant of the facts surrounding their activities. You all get a warm fuzzy feeling when you attack us, yet none of you have ever done ANY hands-on conservation work in our watersheds to help maintain our environment, nor spent a dime to help out. Yes, I'm calling YOU the true hypocrits.

And, just for the record, when I fish on our reservoir lakes, I either row my boat or use an electric motor. :discodance:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

flipstylenemesis

Post by flipstylenemesis »

Ok fisher-dude First your are the one who has a personal vendetta with him!
However, I know that a gooey patch (not a "stain" as you so watered it down to be) of oil on a steep driveway with a nearby storm drain equals water pollution that flows into our drinking water. Mr Pike has a problem with my desire to go fishing at McCulloch Dam, yet I think he should clean up his OWN front yard first

Second
Hunters and fishermen were the FIRST conservationists in British Columbia. Yet, they are also FIRST on the attack lists of you city-slickers who are so ignorant of the facts surrounding their activities. You all get a warm fuzzy feeling when you attack us, yet none of you have ever done ANY hands-on conservation work in our watersheds to help maintain our environment, nor spent a dime to help out. Yes, I'm calling YOU the true hypocrites.

They are called taxes and we city slickers pay them monthly and yearly, so we do pay and more than dime, and oh yea if your gonna volunteer and whine about it don't! You sound like a spoiled brat whining and calling people hypocrites just cause you cant fish where you want too. Grow up!!

As for Toby Pike as far as I know his done a good job as General manager for S.E.K.I.D. and he will also be an asset if he is elected as one of the eight kelowna city councils-------> He also gets my vote!!
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

flipstylenemesis wrote:Ok fisher-dude First your are the one who has a personal vendetta with him!
However, I know that a gooey patch (not a "stain" as you so watered it down to be) of oil on a steep driveway with a nearby storm drain equals water pollution that flows into our drinking water. Mr Pike has a problem with my desire to go fishing at McCulloch Dam, yet I think he should clean up his OWN front yard first

Second
Hunters and fishermen were the FIRST conservationists in British Columbia. Yet, they are also FIRST on the attack lists of you city-slickers who are so ignorant of the facts surrounding their activities. You all get a warm fuzzy feeling when you attack us, yet none of you have ever done ANY hands-on conservation work in our watersheds to help maintain our environment, nor spent a dime to help out. Yes, I'm calling YOU the true hypocrites.

They are called taxes and we city slickers pay them monthly and yearly, so we do pay and more than dime, and oh yea if your gonna volunteer and whine about it don't! You sound like a spoiled brat whining and calling people hypocrites just cause you cant fish where you want too. Grow up!!

As for Toby Pike as far as I know his done a good job as General manager for S.E.K.I.D. and he will also be an asset if he is elected as one of the eight kelowna city councils-------> He also gets my vote!!

Not whining at all Buddy, but I'm telling you whiners that you should step up and volunteer INSTEAD of whining about what I do! I enjoy volunteering, and that's why I do it. You're far too biased to admit to the great work done by the outdoors groups in this area.

Your taxes don't go to fund the CO Service, as Mr Campbell made it a self-sustaining branch of the MoE a few years ago, to be funded by fishing and hunting revenues. Again, you're misinformed yet choose not to become educated. Go vote for your Messiah like the rest of the sheeple, and suffer under the rule of another single-issue candidate who is garnering your support through your emotions and ignorance. When your taxes skyrocket and your city is wrecked by poor Council decisions by narrow-minded, poorly-informed politicians, you'll have only yourself to blame.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

flipstylenemesis

Post by flipstylenemesis »

Go read his his bio!!! Your so upset that you cant fish in one location and so hell bent on putting this great candidate down it is clouding your judgment!! And why do you refer to him as a messiah when he is only one of eight councils we are supposed to vote for? :bouncingoffwalls:
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The water managers in this valley would love nothing better than to shut down the ENTIRE watersheds to all of us, NOT just one location. They want to gate/fence off all access to the public a la the GVRD watershed. Goodbye Myra Canyon Trail, that's part of the watershed. Goodbye Nordic X-country ski area, that's part of the watershed. Should I keep going until I find an activity or area that YOU enjoy? As long as you think it doesn't affect YOU, you don't care right? Obviously, I've spent a lot of time understanding what the threats to our access to Crown land are - as long as you can drive to Orchard Park, you don't care.

Those who can't share the sandbox (ie Mr Pike) with others have NO place at City Hall, IMO.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Kelowna”