Brian Given - Council Candidate

David
Castanet Forum Founder

Brian Given - Council Candidate

Post by David »

This thread is for discussion of Brian Given - Council Candidate.
David Fowler
damngrumpy
Übergod

Re: Brian Given - Council Candidate

Post by damngrumpy »

I voted for Brian since he first ran but this time not a chance. The outbursts of bad temper show
he has either a momentary lack of judgement or he no longer has what it takes to put up with the
rest of us, who happen to be the voters
JKelowna

Post by JKelowna »

Question: Would you continue with the city‘s planned appeal of the Simpson covenant ruling?

Brian Given: I‘ve made a public statement asking staff to find a resolution to this issue, and that report should come to council on Oct. 27.

Rather than listen to the public which overwhelmingly opposed the original case much less the appeal, he wants city staff to "find a resolution." How about we elect a council that can show leadership while listening to the people who put them in office? I guess that doesn't include Mr. Given.
braveheart

Post by braveheart »

In past years I have voted for Brian Given but his apparent stance on the Simpson Covenant has given me pause to re-consider. This aspect combined with two non-returned phone calls leads me to the conclusion that this go around and it will be a solid NO vote for Mr. Given. I believe in his first term calls made would have been returned, but just like Provincial and Federal Politicians complacency eventually sets in, and out to pasture they must go.
Mcfly

Post by Mcfly »

Brian Given is the one candidate I absolutely refuse to vote for. It was Mr. Given I recal that had the brilliant idea that city employees needed publicly funded daycare. Brilliant! And what about the rest of us that would love to just receive a city funded job so that we could afford daycare?

If you're not having troubles attracting employees, you typically don't sweeten the pot- especially with tax payers dollars!
CarMa
Übergod

Post by CarMa »

I believe the idea was to create a space for a daycare... not provide free daycare.

There are many organizations that provide on-site childcare for their employees --- at a cost to the user.
chevrolet1947

Post by chevrolet1947 »

Brian is at the stage here he thinks he can do whatever and say whatever he feels as a councilor, it's time for some new blood and some new ideas.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Please list 5 of your top priorities, and how you would deal with each issue if it were completely up to you.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
cnesb

Post by cnesb »

I have had the pleasure of working with Brian Given on the Dog Advisory Committee as well as on a few other projects. I would support him in a heartbeat.

He is passionate about Kelowna, he is level headed and intelligent. He stands up for what he believes in after weighing all sides. I applaud his ability to speak out openly against things that Kelowna might hold near and dear to its heart. Why? Because people need to LOOK at all sides, not just fall back on what is "familiar".

This cliche has been used a million times, but if no one ever challenged the "acceptable" we would still think the world was flat and the "New World" would not have been found. So appreciate what Mr. Given has to offer to the City even though each and every thing he stands for may not exactly mirror your own. Mr. Given will always be a clear thinking Councilor for the City and continue to do what is best for it.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

cnesb wrote:I have had the pleasure of working with Brian Given on the Dog Advisory Committee as well as on a few other projects. I would support him in a heartbeat.

He is passionate about Kelowna, he is level headed and intelligent. He stands up for what he believes in after weighing all sides. I applaud his ability to speak out openly against things that Kelowna might hold near and dear to its heart. Why? Because people need to LOOK at all sides, not just fall back on what is "familiar".

This cliche has been used a million times, but if no one ever challenged the "acceptable" we would still think the world was flat and the "New World" would not have been found. So appreciate what Mr. Given has to offer to the City even though each and every thing he stands for may not exactly mirror your own. Mr. Given will always be a clear thinking Councilor for the City and continue to do what is best for it.

Absolutely the opposite of my dealings with him. I've found him to be closed-minded and totally unwilling to listen to both sides of the story, and I've dealt with him face to face a number of times.

Listen to all sides? Why did he give me the "talk to the hand" immature approach when I was explaining something he knew NOTHING about to him?

Level headed? Why does he storm about and huff and puff when things don't go his way?

Clear thinker? Accusing people who are providing much-needed economic stimulus in this community of bribery was obviously done without thinking very clearly.

Mr Given MUST go - NOW!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Kelowna”