Tom Johnson - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Tom Johnson - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for Tom Johnson, council candidate.
rmillard

Re: Tom Johnson - Council Candidate

Post by rmillard »

Does Tom Johnson live in Penticton? I thought he lived in Summerland...?
Sherryberry

Post by Sherryberry »

Tom does live in Summerland but you don't have to live in Penticton to run for our Council. You might wonder how much a Summerlander knows about what Penticton needs--you gain a whole lot a community knowledge by living in the community you govern, talking to your neighbours, etc. Also, in the big picture, do we want a Mayor and Councillors who don't live in Penticton? What does that say about our community?
slammer

Post by slammer »

I don't mind if you live in Kelowna or Ollala for that matter. I'll go with education and experience for sure. Stu mennie
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

I won't be voting for anyone who doesn't live in the community. This isn't provincial or federal politics, this is local mayor, trustees and council. A candidates education does not matter nearly as much as having a "sense of community" at this level of politics.
rmillard

Post by rmillard »

Education and experience are important, but it is also important that a candidate is familiar with the community in which they are running. Is there a reason why Tom Johnson is running in Penticton rather than Summerland?
ikelmay

Post by ikelmay »

If I recall correctly, this is the same Tom Johnson who was quite happy to abandon his mayoral responsibilities in his attempt to run against Stockwell Day for the conservative nomination during his tenure in Summerland.

I hope he at least plans to see out his time in Penticton if elected.
lindsayclements

Post by lindsayclements »

I agree with the above comment, I why isn't Mr. Johnston running in his own community? I could see if someone from Naramata, for example, was running, however there is a city council in Summerland.

Is the above comment true about Mr. Johnston running as a conservative?
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

Tommy Tommy Tommy,

I am confused to say the least, first you are the mayor of Summerland then you are going Federal, now you are looking towards Penticton. Why would you care about Penticton, when you live and work in Summerland? Why are you not running for council in Summerland? Why would we want you on our council any more than Princeton wants Jake on theirs? I attended the candidates meeting at the convention centre and still don't know why you are running.
captainc

Post by captainc »

Perhaps Mr. Johnson doesn't feels he's lost favour in his own community
Toim Johnston

Post by Toim Johnston »

Tom Johnston here. I love Penticton - Penticton is where I make my living; where I have already served on the school board; where our oldest daughter, Leneigh, went to school; where our youngest daughter, Alaina, was born. I work here and love this community, although I sleep 7 miles up the road in Trout Creek. Dan Ashton lives just down the street. Crystal Froese lives in Naramata. Joanne Grimaldi hasn't lived in Penticton since the '90's. Mayor Ivan Messmer and many other former Mayors anc Councillors never lived in the City. Stockwell Day, our MP, arrived with a parachute on his back, from Alberta, when he was first elected. The world is in a recession and may be heading for a Depression. Penticton is suffering from overspending by its present Council - I am offering myself as a candidate, and, if elected I will put my knowledge and experience to work with the rest of Council to get Penticton back on an even keel financially. The issue is not where you sleep, but what your commitment is - like Dan Ashton, I am committed to Penticton.
captainc

Post by captainc »

Hmmm, you make your living in Penticton - but your office is in Summerland? I can probably guess what your billing address is. How 'bout some honesty here, Mr. Johnson. Could it be that you "love" the place you want to get elected. I'll bet you "loved" Summerland when you were on council there.
penticton23

Post by penticton23 »

captainc wrote:Hmmm, you make your living in Penticton - but your office is in Summerland? I can probably guess what your billing address is. How 'bout some honesty here, Mr. Johnson. Could it be that you "love" the place you want to get elected. I'll bet you "loved" Summerland when you were on council there.

Plant tongue in cheek

Well, umm, you see, what I meant to say is that I know the people of Summerland would never elect me again, I really want Stock Day's job or Rick Thorpe/Bill Barrisoff's job but I need to raise my political profile and felt that being a councillor in Penticton was a good way to do it. As a wannabe career politician you don't really expect me to tell you the whole truth and story all the time do you?

Tongue removed.

Return to “Penticton”