Mary Mandarino - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Mary Mandarino - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for Mary Mandarino, council candidate.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Mary Mandarino - Council Candidate

Post by occasional thoughts »

Mary seems to have quite a rap from her past political activity (the PAC organization, not the JoinKelowna slate).

Mary, and I'm asking sincerely, why should Westsiders vote for you? What role will you play on council if you're elected.
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Thank you Rob for your question.

I have already acted on part of my platform from last years campaign.

Together with 4 other Westside community members we formed the Westside Residents Association. Each of us from different areas of the Westside.

I commenced this process after 5 councillors voted against Mayor Neis and Councillor Pilling's motion to establish a citizens Advisory Board.

The purpose of the Westside Residents Association is to promote fair and equitable representation of all residents within the boundaries of the incorporated westside commuity.

Addition information can be found on our website: www.westsidefacts.com

When elected to council I will continue to seek input from Westside citizens.

As my platform states: One Voice For All through an open, honest and inclusive process.

I trust this answers your question.

Regards from Mary Mandarino
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

With "JoinKelowna" hopefully behind us, at least for the next few years, I'm looking at everybody who's running very differently than I did last year. I'm very concerned about the polarization that has occurred in our community, once again, over the naming issue and the representation of our inaugural council of non-Westbank issues. And I'm very concerned that Lakeview Heights, which has been dismissed as "a subdivision" by angusog on other posts, will be lost in the shuffle.

Are we already polarizing such that Lakeview Heights will be to Westside (or probably Westbank) what Rutland is to Kelowna. I think that's a distinct possibility in the next election, so we need the best possible from "our end" to run and be elected. Yet, we don't want our end to be as bad as the other end, running roughshod over the legitimate interests of the community as a whole, and the interests of the neighbourhoods.

The two issues that have made me stop in my tracks and forced me to evaluate who our current council represents are two issues wherein "Westbank" flexed its muscles, to the detriment of the overall community: supporting the exclusion of ALR land to put a medical facility in the middle of Westbank, and the process of establishing our name.

I fear that if the residents of Mission Hill, Green Bay, Lakeview Heights, Rose Valley, Shannon Lake, et al, don't get out on vote on November 15, we'll see our name and control of the district to the good people of Westbank.

From what I've come to know of you, I think you would fairly represent Lakeview Heights while doing the best for Westside/Westbank/Whateverville as a whole. But there seems to be a lot of people out there you're going to have to convince. Good luck.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

Rob you are right, we need to get the north residents out to action. I feel good in knowing that there are many of those currently living in Westbank who will be happy to vote for West Kelowna.

Mary, please do post up some info about you and your platform.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

A very warm welcome to Mary Mandarino who has joined us here on the board! The politicians who take the time to introduce themselves and join in the conversation here are, in my mind, the politicians who can make a difference in the community.
JVD3741

Post by JVD3741 »

Hello Mary, best of luck;

Have read your Campaign Statement and your posted responses.

Some real issues that have arisen during the term of the last council are not popular, their actions come across as very underhanded to say the least.

Some of these you may have answered some not, where do you stand on these issues?

1) Voting against the formation of a Citizens Advisory Committee?

2) The Backroom Politicing regarding the renaming process w/ total disregard for the work that was done by the citizens ..?

3) Is there a plan for a "permanent townhall location"? It should be located somewhere in middle of the district, you think?.

4) AND where are the candidates? I hear about all the door knocking. This is the 2nd election, to date NOBODY has knocked on our door. Maybe we live too far north, or the streets & driveways are too steep, too close to Kelowna?

You have our vote.
1Westside
Fledgling

Post by 1Westside »

Mr. Turner, your comments stating that the polarization of our community would result in Lakeview Heights being "Westside, Westbank or Whaterville" that of what Rutland is to Kelowna are ridiculous and laughable at best.

The join Kelowna force is still active and you know it and Mary Mandarino is likely the flagbearer. That issue is dead but there remains this underlying current the north of our community is going to be left behind because of their dream to join the city of Kelowna and all the wonderful attributes that it has. Homelessness, a divided council, rampant unchecked development, the controversial downtown re-development and the deletion of so many long standing and some new events giving them the label justly or not of the no fun City. Wouldn't that be a great community to be joined at the hip with.

If we are truly to unite, the ill will and agenda thumping needs to stop if we are to have any hope of becoming a city that is recognized for the extraordinary things we are doing not for the Hatfield and McCoy politics that is in play today.

As a journalist maybe your agenda is to sell papers but I truly believe that you have the community at large in your thoughts and if you really want to be the messenger of unity you could do it through the power of your keyboard and be an agent of positive change rather than a shark in the bloodied waters.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

There seem to be a lot of people on here who want to restrict private residents of our community from having a right to express themselves.

I've been told I shouldn't have an opinion and express it because of my involvement on the volunteer naming committee.

Now Rob Turner shouldn't be allowed to express his thoughts because he's a journalist...

Maybe we should just list all the different occupations, interests and associations that are restricted from discussing the issues so we can all be on the same page.

I was under the impression that with the exception of Council members who are paid, elected officials hired to represent all members of the community objectively and without bias, all members of the community were free to express their thoughts, contribute to the dialogue and advocate for whichever views they wish without limitation or restriction.

If those who claim to support the idea of democracy truly believe in that principle surely it is the democratic right of anyone wishing to do so to join the debate regardless of whether or not others agree with their point of view.

Rob Turner is someone who has a wealth of experience and understanding of our community's issues (thanks to his work in journalism), has a great deal of experience in politics and I believe hyas something of value to contribute to the debate.

For that matter, Elva Webber, though her previous activism on behalf of Westbank naming advocates brings her intentions into question for me personally as a Council candidate, also has a great deal of knowledge about our community and first hand understanding of its history and should be equally permitted to express her views regardless of whether or not some of us disagree with them.

The issues facing this community, especially so early into its 'official' inception, are challenging ones and you don't resolve those issues by limiting people from discussing them or instructing people on how they are permitted to discuss and advocate for or against sides on those issues. These issues are resolved by allowing everyone a voice and hopefully filtering from that what should be the best resolution for all people in our community.

I am pleased to have someone with the depth of knowledge, understanding and intellect as Rob Turner contributing to this forum and to the debate.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Hello to Danner and thank you for your questions.

1.Just to update you; when the council defeated Mayor Neis and Councillor Pillings motion to establish a Citizens Advisory Committee I went out and invited 4 community members to work with me to establish the Westside Residents Association. Pease visit our website: www.westsidefacts.com

The purpose of this Society is to be inclusive of ALL residents within the boundaries of our new municipality. A voice for ALL.

2. Mayor and Council swear an oath to openly and honestly represent ALL residents in their constituency. I was present at the meeting when the naming committee made their presentation. I watched in disbelief as the councils action unfolded publicly.

I have been a volunteer for most of my adult life as my campaign website will indicate. [email protected]. As a volunteer I have been embarrassed by folks who did not fully understand the outcome of their actions.

These days it is very difficult to find volunteers. When we establish a committee of volunteers we should treat them with respect.

3. As for back room politicing by our elected officials, in my opinion this behaviour is totally unacceptable. The citizens of the Westside are paying the bills they have every right to know that those they elect will work openly and honestly in the conducting of municipal business.

4. I am not aware of a plan to build a permanent townhall.
However, I do agree with you that if such a building were to be built it should be centrally located. Further more the citizens of our Westside Municipality should have a say in the location. Full disclosure and open consultation.

5. I will phone you and make an appointment to stop by when you are home.

Thank you for your vote. It is very precious for me to know that I have your confidence.

Thank you again.

mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Hello also to 1 westside.

Thank you for your post.

I have been called a lot of names over the years. Flag Bearer is OK with me as it is pretty positive compared with some names that have been used.

I guess I like it because it recognizes leadership.

The issues that you decry as exclusive to Kelowna exist on the Westside.

1.Homelessness is one. I can only imagine how a person must feel knowing they have no place to call home. No place to go to at the end of the day.

1westside, my friend, I can point out certain locations where those homeless on the westside sleep.

2.A divided council is NOT exclusive to Kelowna.

1westside how many Westside council meeting have you attended? The westside is NOT a united council.

3.We have contraversial devlopment on the Westside, this is not an issue that is exclusive to Kelowna.

4.I would appreciate you posting a similar list of what you consider to be "extraordinary things we are doing" on the Westside.

Let me assure you I do not disagree with you but I would like to compare this list with you.

Meanwhile I truly believe that it is the best interests of ALL of us to work together to promote a harmonious and healty lifestyle for ALL westsisde citizens.

That, my friend, is the flag I am bearing.

GlenCanyon

Post by GlenCanyon »

At last night's all candidate's meeting you left me wondering if you wanted the position or if you were not feeling well. There was no fire in your belly and your answers lacked passion. If you are not well I hope you are better by the next meeting. Good luck.
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Hello Glencanyon,

thank you for your kind thoughts.

The Forum was very well organized and went very smoothly don't you think?

We did not have the questions in advance so there was some thinking to do.

Remember too that councillors receive a package of information prior to each council meeting. So they have time to do their research before each council meeting and then make informed decisions.

The questions put to candidates at forums are complex and thought provoking. One minute to respond is not a lot of time.

I also prefer the consultation process because after all it is the citizens of the Westside whom I will be representing.

It is always easy to stay "we should do this or do that, or do things this way".

The reality of the matter is that each decision made at the council table impacts our community in a number of ways and may affect citizens in a number of different ways. Informed decisions are always best. Don't you think?

My greatest concern right now is the economic slump we are facing. The impact of this will be huge. There is so much work to be done to bring Westside infrastructure up to standard to meet the growth we are experiencing. Many roads are in poor shape, Glenrosa residents have septic systems that are failing and MUST be replaced with sewer, there are many areas without street lighting and sidewalks.

I am also concerned for young families as the Okanagan is a very expensive place to live. How do we address their needs?

Affordable housing is an issue that council needs to address.

Retirees are now facing uncertainty as their investments will not bring them the returns they were expecting. They have worked hard all their lives and now face financial uncertainty.

As a business woman these uncertain times concern me.

I know of a number of businesses that have left our community or are in the process of moving out. The loss of their tax base will impact on us.

So the question of how you attract new business is one that needs to be addressed by council.

Of course I want to be part of the solution and will work very hard and in the best interest of ALL the citizens of the Westisde.

Once again, thank you for your thoughts.

I am looking forward to the next Forum.

mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Hello hereiamagain,

You requested that I post my bio and platform. I have done so but have not had any feedback.

Please, if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Thnak you.

Regards from mary
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

Hi Mary, I went to your website http://www.marymandarino.com, and found the bio and platform links at the top.

I've asked a few of the other candidates this same question, and I would like to know what you would do too..
if you were on council, and were presented with the same situation that Mayor Neis, and Heather Pilling encountered, (being on the outside of the decision making) how would you handle it?

How do you see your interaction with the Westside Residents Association, and being a councillor? what I mean by that is, this seems a very worthy project for all residents on the westside to become part of - it seems to be a very objective group - would you reintroduce this sort of association to gain approval from council?

What is your stance on the hospital?

and the sewers?
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.

Return to “Westside”