Dave Robertson - Regional Director West

Firefly

Dave Robertson - Regional Director West

Post by Firefly »

My name is Dave Robertson and I am challenging the incumbent, Jim Edgson for the position of Director of Central Okanagan West. He has refused to engage me in any open public debate, or attend any public candidate"s forum sponsored by me or anyone else. I feel dismayed by this attitude, as I would like to be able to have a constructive, non-confrontational discussion of the issues with him together with the voters. Do you think I'm being a whiner because I would like us both to be able to present our vision to the people at a public forum so they can cast an informed vote? In any case check out my website at http://www.rocdoc.ca and you will see I am very qualified candidate, and capable of becoming an excellent Director.
I am sponsoring my own forum on Thursday, Nov. 13 at the Killiney Beach Hall. (7-9 pm)
No fear-it will be an upbeat, interactive discussion with the electors on how to make our community better.
varmint

Re: Dave Robertson - Regional Director West

Post by varmint »

So good to see you in the running Dave, we need people like you with honesty and integrity to help with the current problems plaguing Central Okanagan West. After reading your website you have my vote.
good luck
Varmint
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Welcome to the board, Dave Robertson!
Bartlett

Post by Bartlett »

Dave,
Thank you for organizing what was supposed to be an All Candidates meeting in the North Westside area. I respect your efforts. I am bewildered by the lack of engagement from your opposition. Not only is it disappointing, it is disrespectful to the voters in this area.
NWSIDER

Post by NWSIDER »

I have found a few interesting facts, Mr Robertson never been to a RDCO board meeting, *let's not get into rumours please/Jo* May the best man win
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

NWSIDER wrote:I have found a few interesting facts, Mr Robertson never been to a RDCO board meeting, *let's not get into rumours please/Jo* May the best man win

I don't think they take attendance at these meetings. The last one I was at, I observed Mr. Edgson perform. That is why I am running for Director. When I am elected I will do my homework and research critical issues on the agenda. Then I will ask penetrating questions. THAT will be my job as your Director.

:bump:
varmint

Post by varmint »

To NWsider:

I was at the meeting on October 27 and Dave was in attendance, Where were you?
Varmint
Bartlett

Post by Bartlett »

The meetings at RDCO do not provide the members of the gallery an opportunity to speak out openly or freely, nor should they. These are regional meetings that we send our elected officals to to represent the interests of their electoral area...in short ALL of the voters of their area.

Whether or not Dave Robertson is in attendance at a meeting he has no voice at as a spectator, is unimportant. What is important is that whomever is elected into the Central Okanagan West does a better job of representing us verses what we have seen over the past year with our current Regional Director.

Holding secret personal (non-publicized) one on one meetings in supporters homes or at supporters businesses is again showing a lack of representation and respect for all constituents of the Central Okanagan West!
brentville
Fledgling

Post by brentville »

Hello Firefly

I would like to bring the following thread to your attention:
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15550

by brentville:
This Regional District has done nothing for "our community" in the 27 years I've lived here except hang off our wallets. Westside got all their properties developed, sewers, water, pools, arenas, lights, sidewalks, etc. paid for while we got JACK.....now the Ministry/MLA just gives it all away....this is a bad joke right? No, it gets better....

Mr. Edgson told us that he was pushing for a partial reduction in taxation for these items. Just who thought of this? As far as I'm concerned, our current Director is pushing for what he was told would be offered....if not, where did this idea come from?
I'm afraid this is NOT going to be even close to acceptable:

I take your car, give it away and you continue to make the [partial] payments!

I told him that I'd pay for the damn lawsuit myself if that was all he was requesting.

Mr. Robertson, as our new Regional Director what, if anything, would you propose?
Be careful, your car may go missing too....lol.

Thank you
brentville
Bartlett

Post by Bartlett »

Brentville...
Thank you for the link and the interesting read.

We too are on the "fringe" of the RDCO only we are at the north end. The representation in our area is beyond pathetic Federally, Provincially and of course Regionally. It seems to me our very constitutional right to democratic representation is at stake here because ultimately we have no representation at this point in time.

Time for a lot of us to think outside of the box (outside RDCO) and be annexed to an area where our tax dollars will count for the area we live in....and at best we have someone represent us that truly cares about both sides of the arguement. Right now with our current Regional Director, I'm afraid we are at a loss.
brentville
Fledgling

Post by brentville »

Bartlett wrote:Brentville...
Thank you for the link and the interesting read.

We too are on the "fringe" of the RDCO only we are at the north end. The representation in our area is beyond pathetic Federally, Provincially and of course Regionally. It seems to me our very constitutional right to democratic representation is at stake here because ultimately we have no representation at this point in time.

Time for a lot of us to think outside of the box (outside RDCO) and be annexed to an area where our tax dollars will count for the area we live in....and at best we have someone represent us that truly cares about both sides of the arguement. Right now with our current Regional Director, I'm afraid we are at a loss.

Hi Bartlett

Thank you for the post.

The Regional Districts were originally created to fairly address the lack of "urban fringe" area basic services....
http://www.cd.gov.bc.ca/lgd/gov_structure/library/Primer_on_Regional_Districts_in_BC.pdf

The object of the "Letters Patent" was to make essential services [fire protection & water] available to "Urban Fringe" Areas. Instead, would-be-Municipalities have since become a sinkhole for these surrounding areas tax $. Exactly what it was intended to stop!
The Regional District, since inception, has initiated nothing to benefit our "Urban Fringe" community. ZERO!
Just how much of your tax $ has gone directly towards your community?

brentville
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

The object of the "Letters Patent" was to make essential services [fire protection & water] available to "Urban Fringe" Areas. Instead, would-be-Municipalities have since become a sinkhole for these surrounding areas tax $. Exactly what it was intended to stop!
The Regional District, since inception, has initiated nothing to benefit our "Urban Fringe" community. ZERO!
Just how much of your tax $ has gone directly towards your community?

brentville

I came across an example of this problem today on Trepanier Road. This "orphan" at the south end of the CO West. needs fire protection. Peachland is unwilling to supply it. The insurance for the average dwelling at Trepanier Rd is close to $2500.00/yr. If they could provide themselves with fire protection to the extent that they could provide 200 litres of water per minute for two hours onto a fire, and they were within 12 min. of a station, then they would get the best insurance rate (ie. about $500.00/yr.) The question is; how many taxes would they have to pay for a firetruck, tender, and station? The tax base of 77 homes is small, but I figure ( since I've been a firefighter for fifteen years, and have had discussions with Trepanier residents) that they could give themselves a basic level of service, enough to lower their insurance, and give them some protection for a reasonable tax. I have a line on some affordable apparatus and a good firehall design.
They could also get involved with Peachland, and tap into their water line or build a station and share the cost with Peachland. Perhaps Peachland would consider it advantageous to have a satellite hall up Trepanier Road to protect their homes in that area. Trepanier could still remain independent of Peachland, unless they desired to amalgamate. There are many options which I could discuss with Trepanier, and Peachland when I am elected Director.

Gee, Brentville it's going to take me awhile to answer all your questions. Perhaps it might be easier for us to reset the clock and go forward from the present situation.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

brentville wrote:Hello Firefly

I would like to bring the following thread to your attention:
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15550

by brentville:
This Regional District has done nothing for "our community" in the 27 years I've lived here except hang off our wallets. Westside got all their properties developed, sewers, water, pools, arenas, lights, sidewalks, etc. paid for while we got JACK.....now the Ministry/MLA just gives it all away....this is a bad joke right? No, it gets better....

Mr. Edgson told us that he was pushing for a partial reduction in taxation for these items. Just who thought of this? As far as I'm concerned, our current Director is pushing for what he was told would be offered....if not, where did this idea come from?
I'm afraid this is NOT going to be even close to acceptable:

I take your car, give it away and you continue to make the [partial] payments!

I told him that I'd pay for the damn lawsuit myself if that was all he was requesting.

Mr. Robertson, as our new Regional Director what, if anything, would you propose?
Be careful, your car may go missing too....lol.

Thank you
brentville

Rob Turner addressed this item very well. After the election the CO West Director, RDCO, and Westbank will have to hold discussions with the Province. Next spring there will be a new provincial MLA here who will be involved. Believe me, I am not the sort of guy who can easily be pushed to accept "what is told would be offered". I must truthfully tell you, however, I am not fully informed on this topic right now, but am clever enough to become completely and "objectively" informed after the election.
One issue I will be dealing with up north where I live is the fact that many of our tax dollars do not return to us. A case in point-we are trying to get our "parks" assessment to actually fund and build us some parks out here.

Don't take my car Brentville. It's a beat up 14 year old gas guzzling PU. And if you take it, I can't go to RDCO to fight for your interests.
Bartlett

Post by Bartlett »

Brentville,

You are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for the post once again. Looks like I have some bedtime reading.

You asked a great question, " Just how much of your tax $ has gone directly towards your community?".
Interesting to think about. I can tell you that we have had a recent referendum that increased our taxes in support of more fire hall equipment. I can tell you that our lovely North Westside Communities association tried to have an Alternative Approval Process (AAP) slipped through for additional dollars to support our local community hall. I can tell you that our Regional District just coughed up an addtional $1000 to help the North Westside Communities Association run their website and ALL of this was supported and likely motioned if not seconded by our Regional Director Jim Edgson.

What I have learned is that if our local fire hall wants the dollars, Jim Edgson will do anything to try and get the money regardless of whether or not it makes sense. He even supports this area with the purchase of Fire Boat which a number of us do not see as a benefit to this area and we are fighting this going through on our tax base.
Jim Edgson also just supported a rezoning of Lake Okanagan Resort so they could effectively split their land in half and reduce the tax dollars they are have to pay....kind of like tax evasion but only legalized by the Board. In addition, Jim Edgson supported an addition of crown land being issued to LaCasa resort for a transfer station. Might I also point out that Jim Edgson's financial support during his 2007 run for Regional Director was largely supported by both Lake Okanagan Resort and LaCasa. I wonder where his financial support is coming from this time??? hmmmmmm....

However...on to other local issues. Has our road been fixed??? No...only in the southern region of Westside Road where there are some very expensive homes. Have the streets in our subdivsion been repaired??? NO....potholes in one area for close to 8 months. Has the garbage around our neighbourhood lots been cleaned up by our RDCO ByLaw officers....not if they don't have to come out here.

So when I think about it....no unless we are corporate, the tax dollars are not being spent here! Makes you want to scream! :nutzoid:

How about you???
cybergal
Board Meister

Post by cybergal »

You asked a great question, " Just how much of your tax $ has gone directly towards your community?".

Regional District of Central Okanagan 2 1/2 million dollar surplus in these garbage disposal accounts from 2002 up until July and Sept 2008 if you total just these accounts up. This information came from asking for it through the freedom of information act.
http://www.okanaganlakebc.com/community ... _02-08.htm

:ohmygod: La Casa is buying land so that La Casa can lease it to the Regional District of Central Okanagan for a new transfer station and Jim Edgson supports this. Dave Robertson would have the Regional District own the land instead which sounds much more reasonable.

:ohmygod: I was reading this on RDCO's website in Oct 27, 2008 Board Agenda:
Special consideration needs to be given to the Strata Corp. administration and maintenance staff and to their rental management operators to access and use the waste transfer station on a more frequent basis. (page 3)
Likely open 4 days per week (ie. Sat, Sun, Tues, Thurs from 1-5 pm) - can be flexible to accommodate strata's needs and peak operating periods; (page 3)
http://www.regionaldistrict.com/docs/bo ... opment.pdf

Jim Edgson is the last person I would vote for! I would never vote for a retired oil patch worker, but I would vote for a retired fire fighter like Dave Robertson when Jim Edgson has done nothing for homeowners faced with the Pine Beetle problem that arrived already last year. People are disposing of their trees in a large empty property next to my subdivision near Fintry.

Return to “Central Okanagan Regional District”