Kim Ouellette - Mayoral Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Kim Ouellette - Mayoral Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for Kim Ouellette, mayoral candidate.
FourStar
Fledgling

Re: Kim Ouellette - Mayoral Candidate

Post by FourStar »

I'm out of the loop.

Why are their only 2 candidates for Mayor?

And on the other side, re-electing Sharon Shepard does not seem like a forward moving step.

For a city that has the best growth in Canada, now about to go into an economy struggle you'd think people would be stepping up to bat. At least more than 2...
stefzaz

Post by stefzaz »

I like Kim's opinions about leaving the Simpson Covanent alone, not allowing to build over 20 stories, and the fact that she is young, fresh, and worth a try! Sharon is very quiet, soft spoken, and I think easily swayed by others. She's had a chance to prove herself, and I think it's time for someone else to have a go at it.
RJ7

Post by RJ7 »

Not sure why she's running for mayor- zero experience and clear lack of knowledge re. the city. Same view as Sharon on the covenant. Young?
BoyWondering

Post by BoyWondering »

It's a very sad reflection that a city like Kelowna can only attract two candidates for Mayor. One has proven she is not up to the job and the other looks weak based on her web site.

Will not be voting for either one but hopefully for some new councillors that can breathe some fresh ideas into this city.
RJ7

Post by RJ7 »

How has Sharon proved she's not up for the job?
Think About It!

Post by Think About It! »

:ohmygod: think about it! just because Sharon Shepard has 12 years experince does not mean wisdom does it??
Have you seen Kim Ouellette at any of the forums, i believe she held her own, she maybe a little raw around the edges, but she was at the downtown public hearing,and let them have it, bunnies and all. She's not afraid to step up and say what she believes. she's loud and clear, well spoken, before you dismiss her go to a forum, talk to her.
seriously! Think About It!
New or Not make a better jugdment on the person not only what you read!!
:hailjo:
RJ7

Post by RJ7 »

Yes, seen, heard from, and talked to at the forums. No, she does not impress.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

If you want to be mayor, you should spend some time on council first. It's going to be impossible to overthrow the mayor in a town like this if people don't know who you are in the first place.
JKelowna

Post by JKelowna »

*off topic remark removed*'ferri
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Didn't read it (the campaign statement) until you said it. Saw it.

"Such forthright approach"

Judging from the rest of her statement and website it doesn't really sound like she has the where-with-all to be mayor.
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

OMG is right!! WHO says that we should keep on electing the same people over and over just because they have some so-called "experience"?? Maybe these people that have been on Council for so long are nothing more than seat warmers. I, for one, am sick to death at the direction this City has been taken in the last three years. It is time for a NEW DIRECTION and new BLOOD!!

I cannot believe that people are so dense as to believe that even before they give someone a chance, they simply write them off. I, for one, WILL give KIM A CHANCE. In addition, we should be electing ALL NEW Councillors as well. If this City is allowed another three years in this direction, we can write it off. It will be nothing more than a worse traffic gridlock nightmare, worse explosion in crime, unchecked building at a chaotic pace with no real reasonable pattern to the building, and we will just be another Cement Jungle.
JKelowna

Post by JKelowna »

*off topic remark removed*/ferri
Daznym17

Post by Daznym17 »

I agree on changing the members of council but i think sharon has done a good job with the city, much more so than walter did. My vote will be against Kim simply because i've felt Sharon has done a good job. Although there was too much media hype over her intervening in a fight.
"God has no religion"
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

When people vote for a mayor and council, they don't want to vote for someone just to give them a chance. There is a lot at stake in Municipal Elections because this form of government has the most direct impact on peoples' day-to-day lives. Maybe that's why people will tend to favour those candidates with actual experience. I think that's a good thing.

I was at the public hearing on the CD21 zoning, and I can assure you that Kim spoke passionately against the proposal. I can also say that she came across poorly as she ranted about everything that she thought she could stick to mayor and council, including the feral rabbit issue. It was as though she was angling for some air time, and as such lost an opportunity to showcase her suitability for the position of mayor.

Through it all, you could tell she just would not be a good ambassador for Kelowna. Maybe she's not quite there yet, or maybe she will never be. All I know is, I am going to vote for a candidate who approaches issues with a sense of balance, fairness, and open-mindedness, no matter how soft-spoken they are.

My $0.02

Return to “Kelowna”