Angela Reid - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Angela Reid - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for Angela Reidl, council candidate.
nellietheelephant
Fledgling

Re: Angela Reid - Council Candidate

Post by nellietheelephant »

Come on Angela - you're on our list, but you have some people here to convince.
Jump right in and shine!

Nellie
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

I'd vote for you if I lived in Kelowna...ever think of moving to the Westside...we could use you on council over here!
leroibrown

Post by leroibrown »

I've read her campaign statement and I like her attitude. Can't wait to hear her speak. I'm voting for her, and not just becasue she's a hottie. Okay I'm lying, but I'm sure she's got some great ideas. I'm allowed to say that aren't I. You've got my vote Angela. :dyinglaughing: :discodance:
Last edited by leroibrown on Oct 27th, 2008, 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
David.B

Post by David.B »

I think a candidate should stand on their beliefs. I'd like to see what Angela Reid decides to do about affordable housing in the okanagan? Part of her platform addresses housing issues and myself, with only receiving a permanant physical disability income with a meager $890 a month to live on. I challenge anyone to live on that little of means per month especially with the housing costs being as they are. I've been told to get a room mate. I wonder if our candidate has an empty garage for my son and I to rent. According to recent broadcasts of the local Kelowna news, the housing market sales are falling more than 10% over the last 6-7 months but has had no direct effect on the affordable rentals here in Kelowna. Yes, I agree, Angela Reid is a beautiful candidate but, will that be enough to fill our cupboards and feed our kids? It's a hard enough decision to look my child in the eye and say," ok, food and do you mind if the electricity is off for 2 weeks out of the month?...or do you want chinese noodles and macaroni & cheese and we can tell stories around the candle to keep warm and so we have light?" Angela Reid is the first I've see willing to stand for something worth voting on. Her bio tells of how much the "go-getter" she is and let's see just how enthusiastic she'll be if elected. Affordable housing means the differance of keeping a single dad and 12 year old son together or having Child Protection Sevices step in because I am unable to feed my child due to housing costs(and what they claim as neglect). Good News Angela!!! we can save costs on travel expenses. Perhaps she could help closer to home. No need to travel to Mexico, there's plenty of impoverished right here in Kelowna that have housing crisis' much like myself.
BoyWondering

Post by BoyWondering »

Angela will get my vote - she is articulate, a thinker and a voice that we desperately need to rejuvenate this tired old council. I compared her to Ron Cannan at the federal vote and its was no contest despite having voted conservative all my life: a tired old man in a tired old party or the voice for positive change?
muckyduck

Post by muckyduck »

I think she seems wholesome and has the motivation to make some good changes for Ktown. Doubt we'd see her lurking downtown at unmentionable places like some of the guys trying to get on council . I think having some political education, college even is an asset.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

She fared well in the Federal Election as a Green Candidate (votes almost in line with the Liberals and NDP), and I believe I will vote for her for Council.

My $0.02
strikes&gutters
Board Meister

Post by strikes&gutters »

I think that Angela certainly has the qualifications and experience to do well on council.

That being said, her focus has mainly been on provincial and federal campaigns. Part of me questions her true motives here, especially with a provincial election only 6 months away.

Angela, if you are out there, please respond to these questions

1) Will you run as a candidate in the May 2009 Provincial Elections?

2) If yes, will you resign your seat on council regardless of your success in the provincial election?
G W`s

Post by G W`s »

I had the chance to meet Angela 2 years ago and had a lengthy discussion. She looked me in the eyes and was very sincere in her words. I am a previous employee of Andre and he was and is always arrogent and never listened to anything that anyone has to say! Angela is exactly who I will be voting for. This is someone new that actually does care about other people and not just her personal gains!!! GO ANGELA GO!!!!
angelanagy

Post by angelanagy »

Hi all,

Thank you for the kind words! In response to the questions and concerns regarding my previous federal and provincial runs, I fully understand. I have run as a federal candidate three times and a provincial candidate twice to represent values and principles that I believe need to be heard at that level.

However, last November I made the conscious decision to shift my focus locally, due to a number of reasons, one being that I'd like to start a family in the next five years and want to be in Kelowna (opposed to Victoria or Ottawa), and also, I really feel like this is an important time for Kelowna. There are so many changes at the global level which will impact us here at home, the two biggest being the economy and climate change, on top of local issues like the OCP, the CD Zone and so many more. I will bring to council the business case for sustainability, integrating business concepts with princples and values that reflect social responsibility and environmental stewardship.

So, to answer the question, I will not be running in the provincial election, but will be looking for some good potential candidates for a training program I'll be hosting next year.

Cheers,
Angela
Angela Reid
Kelowna City Councillor
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

Tigress111 wrote:However, last November I made the conscious decision to shift my focus locally, due to a number of reasons, one being that I'd like to start a family in the next five years and want to be in Kelowna (opposed to Victoria or Ottawa), and also, I really feel like this is an important time for Kelowna.

Hi Angela -

This part has me confused. Last November you decided to shift your focus locally, yet you still decided to run in this last federal election a few weeks ago in addition to your city council bid? That seems more like splitting your focus.

Would you mind clarifying?
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

I am still thinking this vote carefully. On any given day I would probably say no, I would not vote for her. I don't like the Green Party for the most part, but in this case, I am still torn. This young lady, represents a party I would not vote for period, yet as an individual, I appreciate her honesty and I do think she would do her best to keep her word. The problem is at present I think she would, there are some I believe they would. I will only vote for 5 candidates max, that way I won't split my vote and perhaps elect someone, like Andre or Hobson, who I want to see go down to defeat.
I will vote for Gunnar, Charlie Hodge, John, with all his imperfections, and the rest I still have not
totally made up my mind, and in the last few days to a week, I have been considering Angela.
angelanagy

Post by angelanagy »

Regarding the recent federal run, when I decided last November to run municipally, I was not expecting another federal election until November of 2009, since the fixed election date rule was passed.

When the election was suddenly called, I was still not wanting to run. I asked a handful of prospects, but unfortunately, we did not have anyone willing to put their name forward without training or notice. I then received a phone call from Deputy Leader, Adriane Carr, who asked me to please run. I thought about it for a few days and decided that I did not want to disappoint the local Green Party voters (7,821 this time) with a fly-in or paper candidate, and it was important to me to maintain the credibility of the Party here in Kelowna-Lake Country, which I've worked hard to build, so I put my name forward.

All of my Green Party work is volunteer and while it was a huge responsibility to take this on right before the municipal election, in the end I'm glad that I did. I will be actively searching for new federal and provincial candidates in the New Year.
Angela Reid
Kelowna City Councillor
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

Traditionally I would not be voting Green, as I have always support the New Democrats as the working persons party provincially and federally. This is different though, as we are dealing with
municipal issues. I have some questions though
1 As a farmer, where do you stand on the issues of developement vs viable farmland
2 When it comes to burning, are you in favor of burning until a viable alternative is available
for the agricultural community
3 I would like to find a different method of disposing of prunings, however due to volume of such
prunings and with the replant requiring pullouts etc, there has to be a different and economical
way to deal with this problem. I would like to see burning kept to a minimum or phased out not
just outlawed, where do you stand on this issue?

4 When it comes to pesticides are you strickly organic, or are you willing to find out more about
target use and reduced risk pesticides? Once again where do you stand on this issue

I have to consider my vote, as I will only be giving my vote to 5 candidates, as will most of my immediate family. We will likely be voting for different candidates on some issues, but I have
to be sure I can support your view, on a range of issues. I don't vote for against someone because
I disagree with them on one or two issues.

Return to “Kelowna”