marooned
Board Meister

Re: Kim Ouellette - Mayoral Candidate

Post by marooned »

*off topic remark removed*/ferri
Think About It!

Post by Think About It! »

Is this how you are going to dismiss her because of a spelling word, does this not show that she
took the time and effort to write her own webpage. alot of time and thought went into this,
I know because I e-mailed her about who wrote it. SHE DID! not writers for her, ( sorry Jo)
*keep the personal commentary about other members off, please/Jo*

to your remarks about slugging Current City Council, GOOD! they need it, she said the same thing in 2005 at the Sunshine forum and let former Mayor Walter Gray have then too, and City Council, You didn't think her bad then did you, and she was still running for Mayor, now there are just the two of them and you care now?? Think About It!

If you must know I was there and what she said in my opinon was she supported the re-development of downtown just not 27-35 stories, I believe she said " I support up to 20 stories"
and did not support a Hotel on the Royal Trust Site. and the 600sq ft units were inadequate. (you missed all of this)
In her statement about the bunnies say the whole statement was
" You sit and listen but have you actually heard what is being said"
"We will not be stomped on like the rabbits"
Thats all i have to say about that.... I was there! (then you must if heard what I heard?)
And grand standing I don't think so ! can you say Walter Gray You heard what he said Right! and he made the news paper, I didn't read about her in the paper or her bunny remarkks(oops misspelled word)
Think About It! and do you not think that the Mayor has office help or does she know The Law, Land Planning,Tax Laws ect,or Does she not have Professionals at her side to assist her,
Seriously! *no all-cap comments please/Jo* (What is all-cap comments??/ thanks)
Timi
Fledgling

Post by Timi »

Think About It! wrote: *no all-cap comments please/Jo* (What is all-cap comments??/ thanks)

That would be all-capital letters. You know, big letters that usually start names and the beginning of sentences. In the world of internet, words in all capital letters signify yelling. On forums, we try to get our point across by intellently debating the subject, not by yelling to get our point across.
stay real.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

I didn't say she didn't have the "where-with-all" to be Mayor simply because of the word she missed in her campaign statement. I said it because her comments/webpage/statements etc do not lead me to believe she has the "where-with-all" to be mayor.
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

You see discussion is good, I didn't realize, she supports the Developement project downtown, the CD Zone. I don't and that would mean I doubt I can support either of them. I have my votes for council, but for Mayor I would have to spoil my ballot. I won't vote for anyone for Mayor.
If Kim is a supporter of the eye sore they want to build downtown, I won't vote for her.
As for Sharon, she has had her time in the sun, she is for and against all the time. Neither is worth my vote
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Another $0.02

I was thinking that because of the height limitations as stated, Kim was against the CD21 zoning. As presented by Gilchrist & Co., it was an all-or nothing deal, so if you are into limiting heights, or against the hotel, then it wouldn't be viable from a business standpoint to develop any of the buildings to the CD21 as planned. So, not so surprising that I interpreted her as against the development.

And Walter Gray definitely put on a big show for everyone, as did the owner of Kelowna Flightcraft. I seriously doubt that anyone, including them, who threw unequivocal support behind this project performed any critical thinking beforehand.

I was also against the heights, as well as the land sale for the hotel, but not too many heard my $0.02 that night as I spoke at about midnight. I was also against the process used to get Council to the point of the hearing, as it goes against the publicly-involved planning process you would expect. This is why I believe Kim threw in the "bunnies" comment - a planning exercise largely devoid of public input is shameful.

But you have it almost quoted verbatim, so I'd imagine I am getting something wrong. My bad. I still stand by my impression of her when I saw her there, and don't see her as ready. And yes, I will judge a candidate by their obvious spelling and grammatical errors, just as I would judge errors on a resume. These candidates are applying for roles to guide our city, and I expect that anyone who doesn't have the care to review or even spell-check a document that represents them to the public will continue that lack of care into their role.
Think About It!

Timi wrote:
Think About It! wrote: *no all-cap comments please/Jo* (What is all-cap comments??/ thanks)

That would be all-capital letters. You know, big letters that usually start names and the beginning of sentences. In the world of internet, words in all capital letters signify yelling. On forums, we try to get our point across by intellently debating the subject, not by yelling to get our point across.

Thank You I will take note of that.
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

I have heard two versions of what happend on these two pages, is she for or against the CD Zone?
My vote will go to the candidate that is not in favor of the project. I am in favor of doing something with the area, but not this highrise stuff at the edge of the park.
Why is it that we seem to heard people into certain locations in this city, the Mission and the new
downtown would be a playground for the wealthy for the most part, Rutland gets the shaft in most cases and Glenmore gets those who are nearly ready for the rest home, or they have a soon to be expirery date.
We need some balance, and ensure neighbourhoods have a mix of people, instead of residencial islands unto themselves.
If Kim is for the present highrise developement, I can't vote for her. If she is not in favor of
the CD Zone developement, I will consider putting my vote beside her name
Think About It!

Well just as everyone else is she or isn't she for the CD-Zone what does she support.
I e-mailed her and asked her. her resonse was (In my short form)
she does not support 27-35 stories so close to the water front, nor a hotel, a conferance centre shoud be built more too town centre or perhaps a public hearing and have Kelowna's input on this.
she said that the first blocks of Bernard,Lawerance,Leon Ave should remain as 6 stories as in the OCP. and build the higher towers futher back. you can e-mail her and she does answer you.
she also mentioned that we need more public input on re-devolpment one public hearing is just not enough to hear what is needed to decied on our future or the impact it may have on Kelowna citizens.

Maybe you should ask. :hailjo:
Seriously! Think About It!
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

*please don't make attempts to guess the real identity of members/Jo* You come across more adamant than any supporter of any party or politician I have ever seen.
If you email her and she answers, how about you ask her to poke her head in here and answer some of these questions for herself?
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

To marooned:

If you are going to judge someone on a simple spelling error then perhaps it would be very wise to judge someone their continual flip flopping on any and every issue whenever it is politically expedient. That demonstrates a lack of character which is much more important than a simple spelling error. Furthermore, the idea that we must vote for those who have demonstrated to us who they really are, just because they held the job, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. No matter, obviously if they have turned in a poor performance, - "they have experience"!! Sheesh!! :eyeballspin:
Think About It!

i have that leap of faith syndrome thats going round. :134: :thewave: :rate10:
seriously! think about it!
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

This presents a problem for me as I know that Sharon does not support the current effort as it stands. Kim is against certain parts of it, so where do these two differ?
The other question for me is, where does Kim stand on agricultural issues? Sharon supports
agriculture and has a track record to prove it, I have heard little or nothing where kim stands.
I am still without an answer on this ballot.
I don't always have to agree with every position a candidate takes, but I do have to have some understanding of where they stand and I'm not getting that here
jrbuilder

Post by jrbuilder »

I don't think Sharon Shephard has done a bad job as mayor and definitely don't see any improvements with Kim. I believe that change is good for Kelowna but that change has to come from strong leadership. Unfortunately I don't get that impression from Kim and can't see her winning.
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

kelownaj wrote:I don't think Sharon Shephard has done a bad job as mayor and definitely don't see any improvements with Kim. I believe that change is good for Kelowna but that change has to come from strong leadership. Unfortunately I don't get that impression from Kim and can't see her winning.

I guess you haven't been paying attention then to the dramatic and horriblly chaotic changes that have happend to this city in the last three years. But according to you, just go with the status quo and hope for the best!! PUleeze. Real change is what is needed. I am tired of the "finger in the wind" policies of what we have now. WHO but WHO says that Kim Quillette doesn't have what it takes to be mayor? Because she wasn't one before. Neither was what we have. She's smart, she's dedicated, she will have tons of council support and training as well. She is most certainly up to the job. This "stay in the same rut" political attitude is what is destroying this city. Perhaps some REAL thought should go into this election. Unfortunately, the bulk of folks are "sheeple". They can only bring themselves to go along with what is and was instead of stepping out and actually "going forward. All we have to lose is a city, that's all. :runforlife:

Return to “Kelowna”