Dan Ashton - Mayoral Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Dan Ashton - Mayoral Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for Dan Ashton, mayoral candidate.
Centurion
Board Meister

Re: Dan Ashton - Mayoral Candidate

Post by Centurion »

Doesn't Mr.Ashton live in Summerland?
mug48

Post by mug48 »

Dan Ashton, who I am voting for, has property in Penticton.
Tom
rmillard

Post by rmillard »

Dan, if you're following this discussion... :-),

Thank you for running for mayor. While I have not yet decided who I will be voting for, it's great to have so many people running because I feel that we need some new ideas on council.

I have a couple questions for you.

1. What is your view on (property) tax increases? Have the past increases been necessary? Is there any way that these could be lowered, or would this not be advisable (if so, please explain).

2. Do you support the existing property tax exemption for churches? (I heard a rumor that this was an issue with some candidates.)

Thank you for your responses.

Richard
Penticton
dashton

Post by dashton »

Good morning all
Had a good personal discussion with Richard (rmillard) yesterday and explained my points if view on his questions. I would encourage anyone who has a question(s) to give me a call at
250-488-2424.
On a previous note, yes it is true that I do live in Trout Creek, however we do own two properties in Penticton and over the years have owned many more.
What I think is more important is that we do consider Penticton our home and for over 53 years our business and personal lives have been based out of Penticton....even though we sleep 7 miles to the north. I would like to note that for 10.5 years I have been a Councillor in Penticton and during that time I have gained a wonderful amount of experience and knowledge.
Once again if you have any questions please call me at the above number. Have a great day and please consider my commitment to Penticton when you vote on November 15th.
Dan Ashton
rmillard

Post by rmillard »

I had a good discussion with Dan and I would encourage anyone that has any questions to contact him to get his views on whatever questions you may have.

Dan has been a positive force on council for many years and I hope he has the opportunity to continue to represent us this coming year.
jenitsallgood

Post by jenitsallgood »

Owning property versus actually living in Penticton is quite different I'm afraid. That would be like an American feeling entitled to run for Prime Minister because he/she owns property in Canada.
It's bad enough he is a Councilor. I hear Summerland is looking for a Mayor....
Jenitsallgood
dashton

Post by dashton »

I am sorry that (jenitsallgood) feels the way that they do. If they would check my record at Council it would show that I am progressive, fiscally responsible and care about not only the process of governance, but the citizens that I represent.
However it is impossible to please everyone on every issue. I stand by my conviction and support of the City we call home and it is unfortunate that some wish to challenge my devotion to this community.
Once again if I can be of any assistance or answer any of your questions please to not hesitate to call me at 250-488-2424.
Last edited by dashton on Oct 28th, 2008, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penticton23

Post by penticton23 »

I have known Dan Ashton for many years, long before he entered civic politics. I would describe him as more of an aquaintence than friend.

Dan has been a tireless supporter of all things Penticton. Yes, he does reside in Trout Creek, but his life outside of home is in Penticton. He is a municipal taxpayer in Penticton, a walk by Ashton's in the 300 block of Main street will show his large investment in the City of Penticton. He is a deep understanding of business matters, has a strong compassionate streak and would make an excellent mayor.

I would like nothing more that to see Dan become Penticton's mayor, but I am concerned that not enough people who support him will actually get out on voting day and show their support.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

I tend to agree with residency being of a lot of importance.

But in this case I can see that Mr. Ashton has been a long time businessman and council member within the city. I am willing to look into his platform and go from there, as opposed to writing him off simply because he lives in Trout Creek.

Man, so much research after moving to a new city!
CCCMLS

Post by CCCMLS »

Good Morning Dan,
Since I will be unavailable for tonight's forum, I would like to ask you some questions here if possible. Firstly, it seems that our city's coffers have been drastically depleted due to the spending over the past three years on such well publicized developments as the SOEC. At the same time, our fire department is grossly understaffed even by WCB standards and the 911 call centre has been unacceptable in response times etc. Additional policing has also been strongly suggested as have new performing arts centres, museum and library upgrades and so on. How do you envision the city's budget for the next three years should you be elected? How do you intend to balance all of these necessities and luxuries with the belt-tightening that appears to be inevitable?

Thanks and best of luck on the 15th.
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

Having known Dan for many years through his work at the city and regional district, I suggest you don't get caught up with where he lives. He has worked hard for this city for many years and everytime I have needed his help he has been willing to do what it takes to make things happen. Beth Campbell didn't live in the city when she was mayor.
Dan will be a great mayor, even if he has a small commute to the office.
penticton23

Post by penticton23 »

Pokerface wrote: Beth Campbell didn't live in the city when she was mayor.

Good point, I had forgotten that Beth did not live in the City. The fact she was not a resident, was a non-issue as she was one of the best we have had.
rmillard

Post by rmillard »

I think that residency is something to look at, but in the case of Dan I don't have a problem voting for him even if he lives in Trout Creek. I see a difference between someone like Dan who lives their life in Penticton (i.e. works here, does business here, shops here etc), versus someone who works and does the majority of their business in Summerland. Dan has been an active part of Penticton for years. Just because he sleeps a few minutes across the city limits shouldn't eliminate him from consideration.
SCL
Übergod

Post by SCL »

The fact that the Okanagan valley has lost a number of key employers over the last few years, what are you going to do to try and attract business and jobs to Penticton?

Return to “Penticton”