Westside Council - General Discussion

Jo
Slot 16

Re: Westside Council - General Discussion

Post by Jo »

hereiamagain wrote:LOL! you are way better with words than I am parachute - by all means, and please feel free to do so.

Actually, don't feel free to do so. Both your posts have been removed. Keep it civil in here.
cpt64
Board Meister

Post by cpt64 »

Anyone going to the All Candidates Forum tonight? I believe it's at 7:00 at the Lion's Community Hall tonight.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Coming out of the all-candidates forum last night I formed the opinion that what is needed of the voters is to make a 50% change in council, voting back in three of those we deem to be the most qualified contributors to our well-being, and augment them by new and fresh and talented contenders.
This way we can weed out the bench warmers (does the cap fit?) and bring in much-needed fresh ideas (some of which were identifed last night) whilst still benefitting from the accumulated experience of the brightest of the bunch.
At least that's the way I see it.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

I agree with inquisitive. This council needs some new blood. The existing members of council haven’t had a new idea since the dawn of time. All they do is regurgitate old ideas and those ideas are making all of us sick!

We need some new and younger council members.

I am sure that fresh faces could examine the results of the naming poll and make a good decision. If the non-binding naming questionnaire gives us one name with a MAJORITY then no problem. But if all we get is a preferred name (no majority) then what should council do? Probably a council that THINKS and one that is unencumbered with 30 year old thoughts might find a solution to the problem that would sit well with all of us. They might EVEN call in an expert and actually listen to what he/she might say!
viobach
Fledgling

Post by viobach »

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but we're new to Westbank, and I don't know where to go and vote on Nov. 15th. Do we go to the same place we voted in the Federal election? If not how do I find out where to go?
"It is almost impossible to exaggerate the complete unimportance of almost everything" Unknown
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

As a longer term to your problem, both local papers, Westside Weekly (Daily Courier) and This Week On The Westside (Capital News) are delivered free to all residents. However, new people and especially new development/addresses often get missed at first, so call them and request they make sure to add you to their carrier list.
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

viobach wrote:Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but we're new to Westbank, and I don't know where to go and vote on Nov. 15th. Do we go to the same place we voted in the Federal election? If not how do I find out where to go?

You will be advised before the election "viobach" but usually George Pringle School, downtown Westbank will be easy for you if you live in Westbank or The Boucherie Complex will be well sign posted. No question is stupid but there are stupid answers. You won't have to go to Kelowna to vote! :smt023
viobach
Fledgling

Post by viobach »

Thanks for the information. We don't currently get the local paper so I guess I will be calling for delivery. Thanks again.
"It is almost impossible to exaggerate the complete unimportance of almost everything" Unknown
Wandad

Post by Wandad »

That we need new blood on council, I couldn't agree more. Benchwarmers are not welcome and they were easily identified at the last Candidate forum. We also are not looking for new bench warmers. We need people with a platform, some vision because they've lived in other parts of the world, and have the integrity to stand by their decisions in public. I'm sure tonight at the Alliance church we'll see more evidence of contenders with 'action' plans and with vision for the next 3 years. See you there. :bethecoffee:
viobach
Fledgling

Post by viobach »

rturner wrote:As a longer term to your problem, both local papers, Westside Weekly (Daily Courier) and This Week On The Westside (Capital News) are delivered free to all residents. However, new people and especially new development/addresses often get missed at first, so call them and request they make sure to add you to their carrier list.

Turns out the daily courier dosen't deliver to our home we have to go to a paper box, near a side street off my road. Pain in my bum, but at least I still can get the paper. Thanks again for the reminder.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Before I join my son and grandson at the Cenotaph today, I would like to air a thought that has nagged me for a day or so since I first heard the rumble.
A preamble, if you don't mind?
When the fur was first flying thick and heavy over that fateful council meeting and Councillor Pilling's resignation I wrote to Castanet with my views and added that perhaps the staff salary review was a way to justify a review of remuneration for mayor and council with the objective of maintaining the income differential between the two bodies.
I now hear that this, indeed, is the case, rightly or wrongly as all will be revealed, but in the meantime I recall individual councillors stating, "I'm not in this for the money". Quite sanctimonious, when the words come out uninvited.
You will recall that Mr. Ophus publicly made mention of "perhaps" three in camera meetings that must at some time come out in the open? Could this council income review be the subject of one of them?
Be that as it may, I do believe that in the "interests of transparency", another often-quoted phrase by candidates, with enough time remaining before the election day, each sitting candidate should reveal to their constituents a full and open accounting of the remuneration they have claimed/received from all of their activities, be it attendance at meetings, travel, entertainment, and the like (such as is covered by expense accounts) - in essence, what they charged the public purse for their public-spirited services.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Just a bit confused here, inquisitive. Council reviewed (and minorly hiked) its own salary range several months ago, to take effect on Jan. 1. Are you saying they're reviewing it again? I doubt it. I know for a "fact" that one of the three issues still in-camera is council developing a package for submission to the provincial government to acquire some Crown lands. I'm guessing that the second issue might be a major employee relations issue that I've heard about.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

rturner......................you just burst the bubble on the salary review. I was completely mis-informed the other day as you have pointed out. I hope this error doesn't divert attention from my other point?
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

rturner wrote:Just a bit confused here, inquisitive. Council reviewed (and minorly hiked) its own salary range several months ago, to take effect on Jan. 1. Are you saying they're reviewing it again? I doubt it. I know for a "fact" that one of the three issues still in-camera is council developing a package for submission to the provincial government to acquire some Crown lands. I'm guessing that the second issue might be a major employee relations issue that I've heard about.

We are already having Major empolyee relations issues? :137:
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Won't anyone join me in requiring the costs incurred by incumbents via their expense accounts to be made known? No-one has stepped up as yet, perhaps because mine is a lone voice. Surely you must agree that we would gain another insight into the effectiveness of incumbents by this public accounting coming into the light of day - for another evaluation tool we need before casting a vote. It is our money they spent.
Anybody join me in this?

Return to “Westside”