Kelowna - Now and Then

A potpourri of off-topics.
onestop67
Guru

Re: Kelowna - Now and Then

Post by onestop67 »

Burger Baron on Rutland Rd. is still there.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oops Burger Baron error. :spinball:

Joe's Trading Post on the corner of Coronation St. and Ellis.

And the Royal Trust Building where Kerry Park is now.

Does anyone else remember Jonathon Seagull's where Kelly O'Brians is now?

And Mr. Mikes on Bernard but it moved to Lawrence Ave but was never quite the same.

And that wild field behind the Glenmore Store, where there used to be horses tethered up? There was a dirt track from Carmel Crescent to the store. It's now a manicured park called Carmel Park.

The horses kept at in those huge fields at the corner of Burtch and Guisachan.

Kelowna still had "party lines" to at least 1975, maybe longer.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Remember when the old Kelowna Fruit stand was torn down and rebuilt into a charmless building? It was meant to be a mall with retail and services, the owners suspended a big yellow air plane from the roof to hang in the big open air space surrounded by walkways and storefronts. One of those service based stores was a travel agency upstairs.

Did anyone else buy beads from The Purple Door?
Last edited by Queen K on Oct 31st, 2008, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

keesa wrote:Remember when the old Kelowna Fruit stand was torn down and rebuild into a charmless building? It was meant to be a mall with retail and services, the owners suspended a big yellow air plane from the roof to hang in the big open air space surrounded by walkways and storefronts. One of those service based stores was a travel agency upstairs.

No but I remember going to Melachies Pizza there. And I also remember choking on a chocolate covered frozen banana.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Kelowna used to have hundred's of children show up for the annual Knox Mt. Easter egg hunt.

At one time the corner of Hwy 97 and Burtch was open fields with blossoming Baby's Breath flowers, the side where BCAA is now. And a path going through it.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

keesa wrote:Remember when the old Kelowna Fruit stand was torn down and rebuilt into a charmless building? It was meant to be a mall with retail and services, the owners suspended a big yellow air plane from the roof to hang in the big open air space surrounded by walkways and storefronts. One of those service based stores was a travel agency upstairs.

Where was the Purple door located? I recall the name.....
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

BEDROCK CITY!!!!

Every year we would come here for vacation and hit up Bedrock City and go stay at the Siesta Motor Inn.

We brought our son and my neice here in 98 and both hubby and I were *bleep* that it was gone,,,,,,,"coulda swore it was there!" Drove to my brother tattoo shop and asked,,,,,,,he laughed as did his employees, as he told them, watch what her first question is.......

Didnt stop us from moving here (sorry BoB).......moved in spring of 99
I swear some people slipped into the gene pool that had no lifEguard.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Yeah that was great. How about the Be A Tourist In Your Own Town promotion that they used to have. We always had friends come over for that and bring their kids, got to do all the touristy stuff for much less than summer prices. Was fun.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

CubaFreak - I remember The Purple Door on Pandosy between Bernard and Lawrence Ave. It had millions of beads from all over the world some were 0.01 up to a staggering 0.60 each!

When the owners of Beadiful Arts opened they said they kept hearing about The Purple Door!

Does anyone else remember Bob Ross and his mean tempered black cat at The Okanagan BookMan?
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

RacerChic wrote:BEDROCK CITY!!!!

Every year we would come here for vacation and hit up Bedrock City and go stay at the Siesta Motor Inn.

We brought our son and my neice here in 98 and both hubby and I were *bleep* that it was gone,,,,,,,"coulda swore it was there!" Drove to my brother tattoo shop and asked,,,,,,,he laughed as did his employees, as he told them, watch what her first question is.......

Didnt stop us from moving here (sorry BoB).......moved in spring of 99

If I gave you a picture of bedrock city would you move back in the spring of 09??? Just kidding.....kinda.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I remember when we used to have a lousy 3 lane bridge across the lake. I actually remember when it was only 2 lanes.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

keesa wrote:CubaFreak - I remember The Purple Door on Pandosy between Bernard and Lawrence Ave. It had millions of beads from all over the world some were 0.01 up to a staggering 0.60 each!

I remember buying stuff there. I think I still have a pooka shell necklace!!!

Kelly's Records!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Wosk's at Capri Center Mall, right across from the Gov't Liquor Store.

Saan's sandwich/coffee bar at Capri, and McCloud's where Extra Foods is now.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

keesa wrote:Saan's sandwich/coffee bar at Capri

Ahhh, the old hood. Ate at that diner/counter style many a time. Sitting on a swivel stool.

What was the one on the corner of Bernard/St Paul? Woolworths? They had a little restaurant too.

And on Bernard/Ellis where the credit union is (kitty corner to Scotia) was a Shoppers with a little lunch/milkshake counter.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I remember Woolworths. There was a little drugstore on Bernard in the early 80's at Water I think - what was it called?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Grab Bag”