Gary Leaman - Mayoral Candidate

iTard

Re: Gary Leaman - Mayoral Candidate

Post by iTard »

Gary Leaman wrote:
iTard wrote:Mr. Leaman, was it not only a month or so ago that you were planning on moving to Thailand to run a hotel in your wife's family's name? What has changed?

Our retirement plans involve Thailand when the timing is right. My current focus is Penticton.

Gary Leaman

Mr. Leaman, is your current focus on Penticton now only because of the election? As a citizen I am concerned that if you do become Mayor and decide that "the time is right" to move to Thailand you will not have to live with the policies that you have put into place.

My second concern is how you will be the Mayor of the city, which is a full time position, only part time because you have a full time position as GM of the South Okanagan's busiest mall. I guess if your willing to step down from your Cherry Lane duties then that is a different story, but I do not foresee this as happening. Please enlighten us.
My wife call's me an "iTard" because I own too many Apple products, iPhone, iMac etc.
surfboard

Post by surfboard »

I will be voting for Gary Leaman for Mayor as he is the only one who has the experience and moxie to bring a run away City Hall under control! Just last night Ashton and Vassilaki, both supposed business men, voted to raise Pentictonites water rates 10% so they can build a new water treatment plant. That is all this council does is build monuments to themselves (let's not even talk about cost over runs!) This is a complete travesty and shows Ashton's complete lack of ability to go against the council grain and make a decision in the best interest of taxpayers.
Leaman has been on council before so of course attracks some flack but he knows the operation and he knows what taxpayers don't need during this economic downturn, MORE TAXES!
Gary Leaman

Post by Gary Leaman »

poorboy wrote:I am presuming that given your experience managing Cherry Lane, and having been on Council before, you understand the difficulty of budgeting. Could you outline how you would see proceeding in the budget process given the tight economic times in general and those in Penticton City coffers in particular?

Could you also please articulate your position on the ALR. Do you favour maintaining agricultural lands? Would you consider selling at least two of the Munson's properties back into agricultural use?

At Cherry Lane we have the lowest additional cost package of any enclosed mall in BC. This is due to relentlessly watching each line item in the budget. It has become an important unique selling feature when competing with Kamloops or Vernon for national tenants. One of the most useful tools in preparing budgets is a column for "expected current year end actual" figures. This gives Council an idea where the accounts will end up versus the current budget and relative to the next budget year being prepared by staff. I asked for this in each budget, unsuccessfully, when I was on Council, and voted against them all accordingly. Without knowing where you expect to be, how can you accurately assess if the current year budget was reasonable? Or,if next years proposed figures are realistic. There is far too much opportunity for manipulation without this tool. This is a contributing factor in why Penticton's cost per capita of civic government is twice that of Vernon or Chilliwack.

We live in a democracy. The people spoke clearly in the last election on the what they thought of the City's well intention proposal to address a long standing civic need. The properties should have been placed on the market in 2006 following the referendum and returned to agricultural use. There is no merit in a giant passive park that has been completely stripped of all natural character. The proceeds from the sale can be better used elsewhere in Penticton.
Regards,
Gary
omega

the right guy

Post by omega »

I watch Council meetings on TV or on the internet. I watched Gary when he was on City Council and saw that he did his homework and always came prepared for meetings. He appeared to keep an open mind and asked thoughtful questions and made his own decisions. He seemed to have the genuine respect of others at the Council table and City staff. Mr. Leaman also presents himself as bright, knowledgeable and he speaks well. He is a very successful businessman. I think he would be a great Mayor for our City.
Divamom

Post by Divamom »

With all due respect, Gary is not a businessman, he's an employee. I have a couple of questions: how will you represent all the retailers of Penticton, when you have such a vested interest in the financial health of one particular segment of the business community. Secondly, you didn't answer the question about the mayor's job being full time, and how will you balance that with your current full time job.
surfboard

Post by surfboard »

Current discussion seems to centre around wether Mr. Leaman is capable of running for mayor and how long he will be there. Firstly, I would assume that Mr. Leaman (who I call a BUSINESSMAN) has talked to his employer and received permission to run for the position. Having served on City Council (and in a number of other community positions) he has a very good idea of the committment required and made his decision accordingly.
As well, who cares how long he intends to stay in that position outside of his three year commitment. Are people suggesting we should only consider other candidates who have made a lifes' career out of local politics? I am voting for Mr. Leaman because we need someone to come in fresh and clean up City Council. The finances are a mess, taxes are already on the rise for 2009 with a new council is not even in yet and lets not even talk about the Events Centre.
Leaman has the background, expereince and most importantly the courage to take on the status quo at City Hall and one term is all it will take!
local4ever

Post by local4ever »

Mr. Leaman, I have been told that you strongly dislike anyone referring to Cherry Lane as a "Mall"....I realize that the official title of it IS a Shopping Centre but why would you be bothered so much by the word Mall? Interestingly, YOU :ohmygod: :skyisfalling: :runforlife: used this word in one of your recent replies...and I quote:
At Cherry Lane we have the lowest additional cost package of any enclosed mall in BC.

I realize this has nothing to do with the Election but it I've wondered why this is an issue with you?

ps: I believe that if you look up the meaning of Mall vs Shopping Centre; most malls are "enclosed" (as is Cherry Lane) and Shopping Centres are most often OUTside walkways. The "Plaza" is a shopping Centre...and since we don't have a Peachtree Mall here anymore, why would you not want to be called the only MALL in town. Sure its a four letter word but its a good one. :127:
Gary Leaman

reply to Divamom

Post by Gary Leaman »

Thanks for your question Divamom. My career is managing the assets and interests of other people. I have my own company, and Cherry Lane is a client. While this has not always been the model, I have worked very successfully for six different parties during 21 years at Cherry Lane. I typically work a four day week at the shopping centre and have the support of the building owners my pursuit of the Mayor’s Chair. They also recognize the need for change at City Hall and believe that I can make a difference. My commitments at Cherry Lane will be back-filled as required.

I have personally had a direct hand in bringing over fifty businesses to Penticton. Second only, I expect, to the City’s Economic Development Office. I personally negotiate leases right through the legal documentation with national, regional and local tenants and their lawyers. I know what it takes to do business in Penticton. My knowledge of the marketplace is second to none.

With the exception of the incumbent, Penticton Mayors have had other career or business commitments. I will do what is necessary to meet the demands and opportunities of being a Mayor and the advancing the long term interests of our City. Only, if the Mayor is also the Chair of the Regional District, could the remuneration be remotely considered a full time salary to any reasonably qualified or interested candidate.

Unfortunately, retail is scattered throughout our community, with several major nodes, and more secondary ones. I believe mistakes have been made in allowing the community to develop this way, and that is not about to change. Being a retail coach, mentor and analyst, I understand the challenges faced. I have had a front row seat, watching and learning the many factors that contribute to business successes or failures over time. Location is just one factor. Retail has changed dramatically over the past twenty years. Retailers must develop a niche and adapt to survive. I suggest that I may be the strongest retailer advocate in Penticton. I will not play favourites with any one node. The big box retailers, downtown merchants, strip malls and the enclosed mall all bring unique offerings to the market. They all contribute to the diversity and critical mass of retail that services our extended marketplace of almost 100,000 people. The biggest challenge is keeping local dollars local and stemming retail leakage to Kelowna. Like any business, retailers must stand or fall on their own merits and not look to government for subsidies.
Gary Leaman

reply to local4ever - the "m" word

Post by Gary Leaman »

The name of the property is Cherry Lane Shopping Centre. We ask the media call it that or simply "Cherry Lane". Most people refer to Cherry Lane as "the mall". I do as well. A rose by any other name . . .
jacksevy

Post by jacksevy »

At the All Candidates' meeting in October, Gary Leaman gave the clearest, most direct answers to questions, with the least fluff of any of the candidates.
He showed surprising knowledge about the issues which the new mayor will have to face. I say surprising because he has not been an "insider" for the past several years.
His business record demonstrates an outstanding ability to achieve consensus and satisfy all stake-holders simultaneously with integrity and sound research-based decision making.
This is the kind of vision and ability Penticton needs. Gary Leaman certainly has my vote on Nov. 15th.

BTW: Mr. Leaman and I do not know each other. I doubt that he would recognize either my name or my face.
sylvia254

Post by sylvia254 »

*removed/keep it about the issues, not personal attacks/Jo*
poorboy

Post by poorboy »

I too have had run-ins with Gary over the time I have known him, however he will be getting my vote. He is the man for the job. He is intelligent, thoughtful and not afraid to speak his mind. The latter probably being why he has rubbed more than a few people the wrong way! The Mayor's job is a tough one - or it should be - given the current state of the City budget and the general economy - it is not a popularity contest. We need a Mayor who can help us through the tough times, and leave us better placed at the end of his term. Unfortunately 'nice' people have a tougher time making the tough decisions, and looking back to the way things have always been done doesn't help in a new era.
Good luck, Mr Leaman, Penticton needs your commitment.
local4ever

Post by local4ever »

I've decided finally that I will NOT be voting for Gary Leaman for mayor. removed personal remarks not related to the issues - Jennylives
Gary Leaman

Post by Gary Leaman »

Effective leaders explore opportunities and challenges, bring creative thinking to the table, listen to and engage people, analyze the input and options and have the courage to make informed and strategic decisions and the backbone to defend them. You have to take some shots along the way. Herbert Swope said "I cannot give you the recipe for success, but the recipe for failure is to try to please everyone". After the last election, one of my fellow mayoralty candidates attributed his continued electoral success to "keeping his head down." His strategy speaks to survival, not leadership. Is this the perspective that you want in a Mayor? Sometimes you must take a stand, weather the flak and have the courage of your convictions. It is the difference between a leader and a caretaker.

PLEASE VOTE ON SATURDAY. Democracy is a precious gift.
Gary Leaman
local4ever

Post by local4ever »

*this is speculation/removed/Jo*

Return to “Penticton”