Dan Ashton - Mayoral Candidate

dashton

Re: Dan Ashton - Mayoral Candidate

Post by dashton »

SCL wrote:The fact that the Okanagan valley has lost a number of key employers over the last few years, what are you going to do to try and attract business and jobs to Penticton?

Good Morning....thank you for the inquiry
Job creation will be front and center with the new Council. Economic Developement's profile will be elevated and Staff will be directed to insure any application that involves getting people back to work will be a priority. Our abililities in Penticton do rise and fall on the worlds economic tide, but the largest employer is still small business....and that small business person along with any other prospective employer will get the attention they deserve.
Further, the City is a partner in an incredibly under utilized asset, which is a fibre optic line that literally has unbelieveable capability in today's connected world. Along with our partner this asset should be promoted and used as an incentive to attract employers. If you have any further questions please call me at 250-488-2424. Have a great day!
dashton

Post by dashton »

CCCMLS wrote:Good Morning Dan,
Since I will be unavailable for tonight's forum, I would like to ask you some questions here if possible. Firstly, it seems that our city's coffers have been drastically depleted due to the spending over the past three years on such well publicized developments as the SOEC. At the same time, our fire department is grossly understaffed even by WCB standards and the 911 call centre has been unacceptable in response times etc. Additional policing has also been strongly suggested as have new performing arts centres, museum and library upgrades and so on. How do you envision the city's budget for the next three years should you be elected? How do you intend to balance all of these necessities and luxuries with the belt-tightening that appears to be inevitable?

Thanks and best of luck on the 15th.

Good morning and thank you for your good wishes CCCMLS.

Yes, the next three years are going to be very difficult, especially in the budget processes. Every department is going to have a real challenge to address the belt tightning that is going to occur. Management, Staff and Council are going to have to work together...address priorities, seek additional income sources other than increasing fees and taxes and really give a combined effort to reduce excess expendatures. Public safety is always a priorty....but so is the effecient use of your hard earned tax requisitions. Council will have a tough job balancing the requests of the citizens with the reality of the effects of the downturn in the economy we are all facing. But it can be done and it can be done in an equitable way. I have been a strong proponent of innovation and rewarding that innovation upon success. The City has some wonderful, bright and similar thinking employees very able to rise to the challenge we are facing, and along with a fiscally minded Council, we will be successful in addressing these turbulent times....and we will show you the responsibility and respect you and your tax dollars deserve.
If I can be reached at 250-488-2424 ....please call if required.
Have a great day!
Dan Ashton
Last edited by dashton on Nov 4th, 2008, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dashton

Post by dashton »

I found it very interesting reading a post on another site from (surfboard) regarding Council's approval of the upgrades to the water treatment plant on Monday, November 3rd..
No one takes expenditures of this magnitude and the associated increases in fees and possibly taxes more seriously than I do.
I was very specific with the presenting Staff members, who were asked the following questions:

1) Is this project able to be done in phases: ANSWER----NO!
2) With all the other water saving programs the City is involved, will these not offset the need for the improvements and increased capacity: ANSWER----NO!
3) Is this upgrade required now and is it an essential item ANSWER-----YES!

Staff also stated the included upgrades to reservior capacity were required within areas of the City to ensure fire flow capacity at certain times of the year.

As no government grants are available to the City for this type of infrastructure upgrade, we are having to do this on our own. If we are able with the additional capacity to supply water outside of our boundries, we may qualify for some Senior Government grants, which along with a profit built into the commodity cost will help accelerate re-payment.

However to suggest refusal of an essential upgrade, especially for water, is very shorted sighted.

Can we offset the user fee increase....yes, by being more conservative with our usage.
Can we offset the interest and principle payments....yes, by offering the service and product to our neighbours for a fee for usage.
Last edited by dashton on Nov 4th, 2008, 9:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.
kkirkham

Post by kkirkham »

Firstly, I don't know Dan personally. I work downtown Penticton, and I see him in the downtown core on a regular basis. He has great presence in the community, I see him at community events from The United Way kick-off, Wine Gatherings and other charitable fund raisers.
I find him to be both friendly and approachable, which I can't honestly say is true of all of our current counsellor members. My vote will be Dan Ashton for Mayor.
omega

Business sense and fiscal respsonsibility

Post by omega »

Dan Ashton talks a lot of his business experience and leadership at the RDOS as reasons to support him on election day. Isn't his business experience entirely from the family business that has been run down to the point where the chain is now closed under his leadership?

Danny talks of fiscal responsibility. What about run away property taxes and utility rates while he has been on City Council? What about fiscal responsibility at the RDOS with Ashton at the helm? RDOS staff increased by 44% in a stagnant population on his watch. Tax increases (40% of which are paid by Penticton taxpayers) have averaged well in excess of growth or inflation.

Can we afford to entrust our community's fragile future to Danny's style of leadership?
Last edited by omega on Nov 4th, 2008, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realagen
Fledgling

Post by realagen »

I have watched Dan Ashton in numerous Council meetings and have been happy with his knowledgeable comments regarding most discussions.
I have two important questions, though. Where do you stand on the ALR? Will you resist ALR exclusion requests?
We don't have much of a choice here really, but I know Dan took his position on Council seriously and was always willing to discuss issues with me.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

A word to those who feels that the fact that Mr. Ashton resides outside Penticton City limits has relevance here. I would like to point out that in Mr. Ashton's years of involvement with local business, town council and Regional District he has given more time to the betterment of Penticton than most city residents will in a lifetime.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
dashton

Post by dashton »

Okanagan orchardist wrote:I have watched Dan Ashton in numerous Council meetings and have been happy with his knowledgeable comments regarding most discussions.
I have two important questions, though. Where do you stand on the ALR? Will you resist ALR exclusion requests?
We don't have much of a choice here really, but I know Dan took his position on Council seriously and was always willing to discuss issues with me.

Good morning Okanagan Orchardist
Thank you for your comments and questions.
I am a firm believer in the ALR system, and I have always considered each exclusion request very carefully before making a decision. As you know exclusions are at the discretion of the ALC where the comments from a Council are taken under consideration.
With exclusion requests, I feel that it is time to permanently set the boundries of the ALR once and for all. I have been a proponent that the boundry lines should be roadways that would clearly and permanently define ALR land and provide the appropriate buffer. As agriculture is such an important asset to not only our community, but to our quality of life, long overdue is the certainty of the status of ALR land in the City of Penticton.
Have a great day!
Dan Ashton
Madtaxi
Fledgling

Post by Madtaxi »

Should'nt there be reserves for water,sewer,and electrical built in for maintanance and upgrades?
Oh I forgot these were spent by present mayor and council on SOEC.So now your raising our taxes some more in the form of utility increases. Why do'nt you guys come clean on the final cost of the SOEC. If your not hiding anything then open the books before the election. :skyisfalling:
local4ever

Post by local4ever »

I have removed my post here, as Dan was not answering my question. I don't really blame him; it was a tough one but it did deserve a reply. I will still be voting for him, as there is no other choice out there. Good luck, Dan.
Last edited by local4ever on Nov 12th, 2008, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
captainc

Post by captainc »

Dan, as a member of council for the past two terms, why didn't you get either the previous council (under David Perry's leadership) or current council to come up with funds to save the auditorium? I think a good leader wouldn't have waited 'till the building was gutted, and certainly would not have expected the funds to come from students' education.
dashton

Post by dashton »

captainc wrote:Dan, as a member of council for the past two terms, why didn't you get either the previous council (under David Perry's leadership) or current council to come up with funds to save the auditorium? I think a good leader wouldn't have waited 'till the building was gutted, and certainly would not have expected the funds to come from students' education.

Good morning
I have been in favour of retaining the gymnasium from day one with a partnership between the City, Schools Board and the concerned citizens that recognised the value of this building to the community.
Never have I suggested that the students pay for the saving of the gym.
In as far as waiting until the "building is gutted", the process of trying to save the building has been going on far before this became an election issue.
local4ever

Post by local4ever »

Post removed. Dan never answered the question. He still has my vote though. He's the best of our choices.
Last edited by local4ever on Nov 12th, 2008, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

captainc wrote:Dan, as a member of council for the past two terms, why didn't you get either the previous council (under David Perry's leadership) or current council to come up with funds to save the auditorium? I think a good leader wouldn't have waited 'till the building was gutted, and certainly would not have expected the funds to come from students' education.

Or another answer to that, is that council is not a dictatorship run solely by Mr. Ashton.

Why would you think that he can just "get" other council members to do something???

I smell a last minute bashing attempt. I could be wrong...but if you are merely trying to spread rumour or misinformation about a candidate, at least try to make some kind of sense (know how a council works). :dyinglaughing:

And your attempt at making a dig with the "I think a good leader would have..." comment is hilarious. What a truly uninformed statement.
Wise Guy

Post by Wise Guy »

I’m proud to see Dan Ashton run for Mayor. I’ve known Dan since I was a young kid. Dan is honest, hard working and has never said anything bad against anyone. Dan thinks before he speaks and cares about people.

Good Luck Dan
TW

Return to “Penticton”