Peter Haslock - Mayoral Candidate

sellpro 46

Re: Peter Haslock - Mayoral Candidate

Post by sellpro 46 »

Thanks very much. I need all the help I can get.

I have a website too; [email protected]

Thanks again. If you have any questions at all, keep them coming.
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

sellpro 46 wrote:Thanks very much. I need all the help I can get.

I have a website too; http://[email protected]

Website address? above address takes me to email only?
I swear some people slipped into the gene pool that had no lifEguard.
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

RacerChic wrote:

try this http://www.haslock4mayor.blogspot.com/. I'me not sure why some can get into it and some can't.

Are you going to be at the forum on Monday?
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

Just under 2 weeks to go and it appears to be getting interesting. Thank you to all of you have visited mine and the rest of the candidates threads. It certainly makes for some spirited reading.

One contributor wrote me to point out a tactical error that I have been guilty of making on several occasions; That being the use of the name "Westbank" and "Westside". They were absolutely right and I apologize for this blunder.

I do however need to explain my position regarding this. From the first day that I moved here, as soon as I crossed the bridge from Kelowna, I was on the Westside. And the Westside was made up of Casa Loma, Lakeview, West Kelowna etc. (yes, I know they were technically listed as being in Kelowna). And I was still on the Westside as I drove through Westbank to Glenrosa and that didn't change until you hit Peachland (although I secretly have always felt as though Peachland were ours, it's such a great community). In short, I identify with the entire region, not just the area that is the town centre and Glenrosa.

I would like to express my thanks though for the heads up because I can certainly see where I may have caused some confusion as to my allegiance and what exactly I would be representing should I be successful with my campaign.

I guess that I need to be more understanding of the fact that there is derision amongst the community groups on the Westside. At the Chamber breakfast the other day, someone mentioned that there are still grumbling amongst some about the Johnson Bentley Aquatic centre and the arena. Those wounds are relatively old so the pain being felt by some on the amalgamation/incorporation issue must be very fresh and I will be more sensitive to it.

Understandably, there are strong opinions in every community regarding the naming issue as well as concern that there may be biases forthcoming from council and mayor depending on their respective postal codes.

I am not simply saying that I won't be guilty of exclusion or favouritism but more to the point, I don't have it in me to play that way. I can't emphasize enough that by virtue of the vote, we are one region with several, distinct communities within it and of equal importance, we all deserve equal and fair representation in all things.
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

sellpro 46 wrote:
RacerChic wrote:

try this http://www.haslock4mayor.blogspot.com/. I'me not sure why some can get into it and some can't.

Any luck?
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

sellpro 46 wrote:
RacerChic wrote:

It appears as though I may have hit my head upon entering the room. try this www.haslock4mayor.blogspot.com. The amphersand that I inserted the first time indeed takes you to e-mail because that's what the symbol means. Sorry.
GlenCanyon

Post by GlenCanyon »

I have heard many people discribe sone politician as either someone they would love to have a beer with but would never elect. Well at this time I would like a beer with you. Peter you reduce yourself when you said after Gord Milson was talking that you were bored for 60 seconds while he spoke. I bet sitting beside you in my rec room or a bar I would be cracked up and would say like most of your friends "Hey Pete run for it you be a hoot."

Once there we need more. On the question of which name would you choose I was at least glad you said which name you wanted for our new name. Most did not. I appluad you this courage. Please don't go away Peter if you do not get it. You have a kindness in your approach that would well serve us in the future.

Thank you
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

Ime not sure how you heard "bored" because what I said was that I was glad that I had60 seconds while Gord spoke because the question regarding our carbon footprint required some thought and time to answer properly.

I appreciate that you take the time to contribute to the forum but at the same time,it concerns me that you don,t see me as a contender but it seems, more as a novelty. I can assure you that I take this very seriously, yes I have a sense of humour and I am trying hard to keep it in check at the request of my daughter and yes, I am fun to have a beer with but please, make no mistake, I can do this.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Peter, I was very impressed with you last night.

Incidentally you did NOT say you were bored and I think most in the room understood your point.

You are perhaps the most real of all the candidates running with the exception of her worship, but you remind me a lot of her. You aren't perfect, you don't answer every question with the eloquence of a politician but every answer you give is straight forward, honest and relevant to voters.

I appreciated you taking Duane Ophus to task on the fixed 5% annual tax increase over the next several years. I agree with you, with a dynamically changing economy taxes must be evaluated based on the ability of homeowners to shoulder the tax burden.

I thought your carbon footprint answer was absolutely dead on. This is a big issue and not one that you can address as Gord Milsom did by throwing out a few top of mind thoughts. I appreciated your honesty, pointing out that the issue was simply too important to grace with a throw away answer.

Finally I appreciated your honesty regarding your choice of name for our community. I believe the naming issue as a critical one and is like any other issue facing the community. In the same way politicians don't get a pass on indicating their position on tax increases, road construction or policing, nor should they get a pass on indicating their position on the community name. Gord Milsom, Duane Ophus and Carol Zanon (incumbents of course) dodging the question, deferring it to "whatever the voters decide" is no more an acceptable response to that as it would be to a question relating to where they stand on raising property taxes.

You chose to answer the question and earned my respect for doing so. What thew others don't understand is that the question isn't about the name, it's about transparency. I respect whichever name you choose, what I want to hear is your willingness to let us know where you stand honestly and openly without fearing political consequence and you did so. That suggests to me that you will govern with the same integrity.

I wish I had taken some time to come over and meet you but regardless, you have my support.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

Thanks very much. I wondered if you were there, it would have been nice to meet you. Thanks also for the support on the "bored" comment. I was pretty sure I didn't say it.

I'm glad that I seem to be coming across as a person and not a politician with all of the inherent flaws and blemishes. I can only be what I am and I think it's disrespectful to not answer a question when asked.

Thank you for your support and for coming out last night. I had fun.
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

canadman wrote:Peter, I was very impressed with you last night.

Incidentally you did NOT say you were bored and I think most in the room understood your point.

You are perhaps the most real of all the candidates running with the exception of her worship, but you remind me a lot of her. You aren't perfect, you don't answer every question with the eloquence of a politician but every answer you give is straight forward, honest and relevant to voters.

I appreciated you taking Duane Ophus to task on the fixed 5% annual tax increase over the next several years. I agree with you, with a dynamically changing economy taxes must be evaluated based on the ability of homeowners to shoulder the tax burden.

I thought your carbon footprint answer was absolutely dead on. This is a big issue and not one that you can address as Gord Milsom did by throwing out a few top of mind thoughts. I appreciated your honesty, pointing out that the issue was simply too important to grace with a throw away answer.

Finally I appreciated your honesty regarding your choice of name for our community. I believe the naming issue as a critical one and is like any other issue facing the community. In the same way politicians don't get a pass on indicating their position on tax increases, road construction or policing, nor should they get a pass on indicating their position on the community name. Gord Milsom, Duane Ophus and Carol Zanon (incumbents of course) dodging the question, deferring it to "whatever the voters decide" is no more an acceptable response to that as it would be to a question relating to where they stand on raising property taxes.

You chose to answer the question and earned my respect for doing so. What thew others don't understand is that the question isn't about the name, it's about transparency. I respect whichever name you choose, what I want to hear is your willingness to let us know where you stand honestly and openly without fearing political consequence and you did so. That suggests to me that you will govern with the same integrity.
I wish I had taken some time to come over and meet you but regardless, you have my support.

I unfortunately didn't have time to meet with you, YET, however the above answers pretty much mirror my thoughts as well, and I wish you the best of luck! I will encourage people to hear you, and in turn vote for you.
I swear some people slipped into the gene pool that had no lifEguard.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Peter,

If you happen to be appearing anywhere (I know, I'm making you sound like a Vegas act...lol). Let me know. I'd love to swing by and say hi and have a chance to meet you personally.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
p2malone

Post by p2malone »

Hi Peter,
Just a quick question regarding "community safety". For me, this is the most important concern I have with living here. I was unable to go to any of the meetings so I was wondering if you can tell me if this was brought up and what your thoughts are on this topic. The police/population ratio is pathetic here on the west side (and in Kelowna). I do not feel safe and think we need more police presence.
I was also wondering if the Mayor has an office? Where do you meet?
Thank you for any information you can provide.
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

pdellerton wrote:Hi Peter,
Just a quick question regarding "community safety". For me, this is the most important concern I have with living here. I was unable to go to any of the meetings so I was wondering if you can tell me if this was brought up and what your thoughts are on this topic. The police/population ratio is pathetic here on the west side (and in Kelowna). I do not feel safe and think we need more police presence.

The police shortage issue is a front and centre priority which the current council is dealing with right now. It has been a hot topic at both forums. Mark Greenberg who is challenging for a seat on council has many years of policing experience and this is one of his priorities. I like you feel strongly about the lack of police presence and I believe that the majority on the Westside do also so keep watching, things are happening.I was also wondering if the Mayor has an office? Where do you meet?

Yes, their is an office set aside for the mayor at the Westbank Lions hall which also is home to council meetings. It is the only office set aside for a member of council. The 6 council members work from their home based offices for the most part. I'm not sure if there are provisions for councillor office space in the what will be the newly renovated facility at the Mount Boucherie recreation complex which will be complete sometime in the new year.Thank you for any information you can provide.

Thank you for your questions and your interest.
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

This was my prepared speech from last night at the forum. I was in the middle of reading the second last paragraph when I ran out of time and the last paragraph never got read. I hope you read it.

Election Day in the USA is tomorrow. One of two things will happen. Either the American people are going to vote for a dynamic, well spoken, intelligent individual who is mindful of the best interests of the population at large, or they will vote for a man who has all of his opponents attributes as I have stated, but also is a decorated war hero, a man with a distinguished, lengthy public service record, but who may as well be the twin brother of the sitting president.

Change or no change? Progress or no progress? The situation we have here is much the
same.

If you are receptive to one bit of advice, then I hope it is this:
Choose carefully on November 15th. You have the chance to put together a far more effective council by voting in three new faces, whilst voting to re-elect the three sitting members you believe are worth keeping. We will have the benefit of their year of experience for the sake of continuity, while infusing a whole lot of new and fresh ideas into the way that council conducts our business over the next three years.
A good question might be, “ Can this man, virtually unknown, do a better job than this other contestant, who has been described as “entrenched”, one who is well known, comparatively speaking, has a very long record of service as a civil servant. Has sat on countless committees and secured a seat on the inaugural council.

By contrast, I have plenty of real life experience, from running my own business to managing teams of sales people and to what I do now, putting people to work, right here, in the valley.

By way of additional background, I have community experience as a volunteer in the form of coaching minor baseball and hockey, with our Canadian scouting organization for both boys and girls, and some volunteer experience on behalf of the City of Kelowna.
Wherever I’ve worked, I have never been sheltered from the fallout of my mistakes. I am climbing the ladder unaided and unprotected as all others do who have careers in the private sector.

Given this opportunity to speak here and now I had to decide how to use my allotted time and I chose to speak of myself as a way for you, the voters, to hopefully better understand the kind of person I am, and the strengths I bring to the table.

Now we all know what the issues are – they have been listed repeatedly at these forums and in the media. But – you can’t vote based on who has identified the longest list of public programs both past and future. Your vote needs to be cast for those who you believe are best equipped to handle the business of this community. I can lay claim to having no baggage to burden myself or the electorate with. As I have demonstrated in the past, I will be starting from ground zero but, having confidence in my abilities, I can assure you that the next three years will be memorable ones for this municipality, full of meaningful achievements and setting the course for future councils to follow and improve upon.

The whole district of Westside is clearly indicated on the official map. All of the community names contending for prominence are clearly contained within its boundaries, and the people living here are able to join together within those boundaries with good will and a common purpose.

We all, no matter where we live, pay our taxes to the Municipal District of Westside, to which I will swear an oath to protect and serve conscientiously. We are all in this together. I will see that we all get equal playing time.
Thank you, one and all.

Return to “Westside”